Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Australia
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-10-2014, 11:06 PM   #1
Chz6173

Drives: Yaris YRX
Unhappy Toyota Yaris Clearcoat Peeling?

removed

Last edited by Chz6173; 05-09-2014 at 03:17 AM.
Chz6173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:21 AM   #2
trunkout
4 years of P90X!

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
Dipyourcar.com
trunkout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:37 PM   #3
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
I am assuming your car is parked outside. How often do you wax your vehicle. Only reason i ask is my car is a 08 and its parked outside all the time and looks as good as it rolled off the lot. Or how many times have you had it polished. Some detail shops go crazy on the polish and it eats through a layer off your clear coat every time. i wax it about once a year. If you dont apply any sort of protectant the sun will bake through the clearcoat and it will start to peal. This will happen to any vehicle. My acura had the same problem.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:11 PM   #4
bladesmith6

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
i disagree. i have an 07 blazing blue that is peeling badly and i am pissed. it is totally ridiculous in a non desert environment to have clear peeling like this. considering the total lack of customer service toyota has shown so far i didnt even bother trying to push it, their general response is if you are out of warranty , not our problem.
bladesmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:19 PM   #5
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Clear coat should never peel, period. I do jack shit for cleaning or waxing any car I have owned and not once has anything ever peeled.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:54 PM   #6
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladesmith6 View Post
i disagree. i have an 07 blazing blue that is peeling badly and i am pissed. it is totally ridiculous in a non desert environment to have clear peeling like this. considering the total lack of customer service toyota has shown so far i didnt even bother trying to push it, their general response is if you are out of warranty , not our problem.
That's one reason I own white vehicles only. The clear coat is mixed in with the paint.

Greg
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #7
MyzticZ3r0

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
I wash my car every 3-4 months and wax it probably about three times a year. I do live in a desert so direct sunlight is always hitting my car. Anyways, when did your warranty expire?
MyzticZ3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:06 PM   #8
WingIt

Drives: 2005 NCP91 Vitz
Id get a quote from somewhere else, $6600 for a close door respray is rediculous. Id be expecting more like $1500-2000 max!
WingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:01 PM   #9
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Well I can see one problem , over waxing if u wax to much ur paint can't breath and will crack , spider web usually once a yr should do it ...just my 2 cents
As for paint that does sound expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:45 PM   #10
Chz6173

Drives: Yaris YRX
I don't wax it... And the car is garaged. I have kicked off with Toyota abd harassed them so much that they sent another guy down to assess the damage . He did depth tests of the paint etc and it is less than a third it should be in parts ... The mirrors are nearly white.. It is all due to a faulty batch of clear coat ... I have now been promised they will repair the car for the full amount as long as I call off the media and the petitions so hassling them works . If you hear of others in the same situation I recommend doing the same
Chz6173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:16 PM   #11
Elizabeth V
I've made a post!

Drives: Blue 2007 Toyota Yaris
I just got back for the second time from seeing the Toyota official body people in Berkeley, CA. I was told:
1) the paint isn't even covered in the warranty
2) the cost to paint it again exceeds the value of the car (over 5K was the estimate)
3) it is my fault because...
I told them I have a '93 Toyota Previa Van, for example, and the clear coat is not peeling on that, that I had taken my Yaris to a paint shop and they said it should NOT be peeling like this, etc. They were completely unhelpful.

Therefore, I'd love it if any of you who are having this same problem would send me a shot of yourself, standing near your car, with the problem visible, so I can send that to corporate headquarters. I have spoken to them once about this, and I'd like to provide more evidence that this isn't just my problem, as they claim it is.

Would anyone be willing to do that? My email is eevonderahe@gmail.com
Thanks,
Elizabeth
Elizabeth V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:17 AM   #12
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
My 2007 was garaged since new, and was in immaculate condition; not a scratch or ding anywhere! But, in 2014 the clear coat began to delaminate on the mirrors followed by the roof in early 2015. When I sold my beloved car in Dec. 2015, the mirrors were completely delaminated and the roof was about 50%. The door handles were also beginning to peel, as well some peeling around the corners of the hatch. The poor car looked like shite!

I had approached the local Toyota dealership when the clear coat problem began in 2014, and continued to complain for about 18 months. I pursued the problem for several months with a regional Toyota rep., but I had no satisfaction whatsoever.

The cost to repaint the car was prohibitive, and I just couldn't continue to drive it looking like that... so I sold it.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote