Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-07-2008, 08:51 PM   #1
harveyjai
Touge Driver

Drives: Yaris YRX
Full exhaust System for NA yaris

Hi guys,

I just wanna know what would be the best combination of doing a full exhaust system for a NA yaris.

Atm, i have a bolt on muffler. I have read post saying Headers might not make too much difference. Also some of my mates told me to modify the cat or something.

What do u think is the best combination piping for a NA yaris? I wanna get the most out of my NA yaris...

I don't mine custom the whole thing, i just need some ideas.

Cheers,

Harvey
harveyjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
Thej3sta2

Drives: Soon to be LFA
Garm ( cali yaris ) sell a nitto midpipe that would work for clearing the farts out the rear end
Old 11-07-2008, 10:53 PM   #3
harveyjai
Touge Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thej3sta2 View Post
Garm ( cali yaris ) sell a nitto midpipe that would work for clearing the farts out the rear end
so that is a midpipe with a bolt on muffler that you are suggesting?
Old 11-07-2008, 11:10 PM   #4
The Architect
Give Me Resonance

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Send a message via AIM to The Architect
DC 4-2-1 Header + Nitto Midpipe + Fujitsubo Wagolis = Yes ?

(3) 12" Alpine Type R Subs/Hifonics BXi1208D
Hifonics ZXi6.5c / 2006 Kicker ZX350.4
Knu Fleks 1/0 Wiring & In Big 3
Optima Yellow Top Battery/Iraggi HO Alternator
Alpine CDA-105, KCA-420i/KCA-121b/KCE-400BT
PG TLD22 8V Line Driver
The Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 02:24 AM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ ooh, nice
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:58 AM   #6
harveyjai
Touge Driver

if we custom the whole thing, should we only use one cat? or? get rid of the cat? or?..
Old 11-08-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Architect View Post
DC 4-2-1 Header + Nitto Midpipe + Fujitsubo Wagolis = Yes ?
+1

I still haven't seen the DC 4-2-1 yet, but IMO 4-2-1 is the way to go for the Yaris. WSCP sells the W*R 4-2-1 header in case you're interested.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:11 AM   #8
harveyjai
Touge Driver

some of my friends have told me to get the 4-1 for yaris...any reason y?
if u keep u rev above 3K, 4-1 is better or 4-2-1?
Old 11-08-2008, 11:35 AM   #9
tk-421
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyjai View Post
I've heard 4-1 is better for the higher range, and 4-2-1 is better for the lower/middle ranges.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:32 PM   #10
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Quote:
The DC header mentioned above is actually a 4-1 design. There is only one 4-2-1 header available for the Yaris and is from Weapon R.

In theory a 4-1 will provide a better gain and higher rpm while a 4-2-1 will provide better gains at the mid range. The problem is that by design the Yaris header is so short that I doubt there is much difference between any of the current model available. So I would tell you to choose the one that fits your budget!

If you want the ultimate set up and still keep it legal for emission testing I will tell you to get a high flow cat Only one or at least remove the secondary cat leave the primary cat. You already have a bolt on muffler so you just need the mid pipe.
If you can get mandrel bent tubing go for 2" pipe if you can't get it, then go for 2.25" pipe.
If you want it civil, snap a round mufller/resonator in the middle in place of the OE resonator and ou are good to go!

And the header will make some difference as long as you work out the rest of the muffler. Not much gain by mating a header with a stock exhaust.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:58 PM   #11
tk-421
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTREX View Post
The DC header mentioned above is actually a 4-1 design. There is only one 4-2-1 header available for the Yaris and is from Weapon R.

In theory a 4-1 will provide a better gain and higher rpm while a 4-2-1 will provide better gains at the mid range. The problem is that by design the Yaris header is so short that I doubt there is much difference between any of the current model available. So I would tell you to choose the one that fits your budget!

If you want the ultimate set up and still keep it legal for emission testing I will tell you to get a high flow cat Only one or at least remove the secondary cat leave the primary cat. You already have a bolt on muffler so you just need the mid pipe.
If you can get mandrel bent tubing go for 2" pipe if you can't get it, then go for 2.25" pipe.
If you want it civil, snap a round mufller/resonator in the middle in place of the OE resonator and ou are good to go!

And the header will make some difference as long as you work out the rest of the muffler. Not much gain by mating a header with a stock exhaust.
Interesting info! Thanks CASTREX
Old 11-08-2008, 08:25 PM   #12
t0m4s
1NZ-FE

Drives: Yaris Seddan 08
Quote:

i've heard that seddan 08 has 2 cats and there are 2 air sensors after each cat, when you do that mod above what r u gonna do with the sensors? it will not give u CE light?
i'm asking cuz i wanna do a mod almost like this
t0m4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:19 AM   #13
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0m4s View Post
i've heard that seddan 08 has 2 cats and there are 2 air sensors after each cat, when you do that mod above what r u gonna do with the sensors? it will not give u CE light?
i'm asking cuz i wanna do a mod almost like this
Sedan = Liftback. The only difference is the axleback section. In the sedan is a little longer.

Both models come with 2 cat converters. First one just after the exhaust manifold and the other one a few inches after.
The car has 2 sensors on the exhaust the first one and the most important is in the header. You can not mess with that one. Then there is a second sensor right after the first cat. The function of that one is monitoring the functionality of the Primary (first) cat. That one can be easily tricked if you plan to go catless. There is no sensors after the second cat. Therefore you can remove that one if you want and your car won't even notice it.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:56 PM   #14
t0m4s
1NZ-FE

Drives: Yaris Seddan 08
Quote:
Sedan = Liftback. The only difference is the axleback section. In the sedan is a little longer.

Both models come with 2 cat converters. First one just after the exhaust manifold and the other one a few inches after.
The car has 2 sensors on the exhaust the first one and the most important is in the header. You can not mess with that one. Then there is a second sensor right after the first cat. The function of that one is monitoring the functionality of the Primary (first) cat. That one can be easily tricked if you plan to go catless. There is no sensors after the second cat. Therefore you can remove that one if you want and your car won't even notice it.
so when i change the header i just need to leave the sensor where it is and replace the header?
t0m4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:29 PM   #15
rob323
Don't drive it, RALLY it!

Drives: 1999 echo PRC rally car
Quote:
I have read post saying Headers might not make too much difference.
Do you have the 1.3 litre motor or the 1.5? Do the primaries on your stock headers have the collector down at the flange or only half way down?
rob323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:39 PM   #16
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0m4s View Post
so when i change the header i just need to leave the sensor where it is and replace the header?
Yes. You just need to unplug the sensor on the stock exhaust manifold. Take the manifold out and install the header and finally put te sensor back on the header. It should have a bung for the sensor. Pretty simple
Old 11-11-2008, 08:15 AM   #17
harveyjai
Touge Driver

Quote:
The DC header mentioned above is actually a 4-1 design. There is only one 4-2-1 header ....

Cheers, that is some useful info there!
Old 11-11-2008, 03:21 PM   #18
rob323
Don't drive it, RALLY it!

Drives: 1999 echo PRC rally car
Do your stock headers look like these from a 1.3 litre Echo?

Or like these from a 1.5 litre Echo?

A guy on Ozecho has swapped the 1.5 litre manifold (the one with the longer primaries) onto his 1.3 litre and is happy with the improvement.

Last edited by rob323; 11-11-2008 at 03:52 PM.
rob323 is offline   Reply With Quote