Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-15-2009, 10:56 PM   #1
billk

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Easy Defrost A/c running fix

I seen here in the forums a few discussions about how to stop the A/C from running when in defrost mode. Instead of tearing apart the dash, there is a easier solution.
If you set the vent control halfway between the foot selection and the defrost,on mine it is a little dot, the A/C will not come on. If it is on the defrost selection, the A/C runs. The air will be on your feet,side vents, and front windshield.
Yes I know the A/C helps clear the windshield faster, but when it is 20 degrees outside, the thought of the A/C running to help remove frost is retarded. ( best choice of word)
I posted this in the old unlink the a?c defrost post, but it is buried deep by now.
So if this is a over post, mods do what u want.
b K
billk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:59 PM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I didn't know that. hehe.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:20 AM   #3
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
I fail to understand why people are so uptight about having the AC function during defrost mode. I certainly helps de-humify the vehicle thus less fogging/frosting.
I commute 100 kl per day in heavy traffic and will trade crystal clear visibility for a few pennies worth of fuel, every time. And especially in winter.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I agree, the a/c dehumidifies the air and speeds up clearing the windshield for increased visibility. My safety isn't worth the pennies being saved by not running the a/c to clear the windshield!

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
I agree, the a/c dehumidifies the air and speeds up clearing the windshield for increased visibility. My safety isn't worth the pennies being saved by not running the a/c to clear the windshield!

Cheers! M2
Please stow your doom and gloom. No one is talking about driving around with their windshield fogged up to the point that they can't see anything.

It's not as if your windshield goes from clear to opaque in the blink of an eye. Once you notice moisture building you certainly have the time to let a cracked window or some non a/c ventilation clear it.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:11 PM   #6
Rick

Drives: '08 Yaris LB 5M
Also:

It is sometimes what is happening on the outside of your windshield that is the problem. AC operation only limits your ability to deal with that. If it never happens in your geographic area then count your blessings.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:44 PM   #7
Pitt Yaris

Drives: Flint Mica Sedan
it took my car almost 20 minutes yesterday to defrost my windshield....not cool.
Pitt Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #8
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
Please stow your doom and gloom. No one is talking about driving around with their windshield fogged up to the point that they can't see anything.

It's not as if your windshield goes from clear to opaque in the blink of an eye. Once you notice moisture building you certainly have the time to let a cracked window or some non a/c ventilation clear it.
Stow it yourself, everyone with half a brain knows that the defrost works better with the a/c on!

And I constantly see people driving around with their windows fogged up or with ice on them. The point everyone is trying to get across is that the infatuation with saving a couple drops of gas is not worth risking your life for! If people are that dedicated to not using fossil fuels, then they should not even be driving a car in the first place!
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #9
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Stow it yourself, everyone with half a brain knows that the defrost works better with the a/c on!

And I constantly see people driving around with their windows fogged up or with ice on them. The point everyone is trying to get across is that the infatuation with saving a couple drops of gas is not worth risking your life for! If people are that dedicated to not using fossil fuels, then they should not even be driving a car in the first place!
Once again you totally missed the point, and are now reaching to support your argument. No one has, is or will advocate driving around with a fogged up windshield. The a/c *sometimes* clears the windshield faster but anyone with half a brain and an attention span larger than a three year old's does not wait to clear the windshield until it impedes vision. If you give it enough lead time it simply does not require using the a/c, but the a/c is still available in case it is ever needed.

I sincerely doubt that anyone you see on the road with a fogged up windshield is in it for fuel economy. Most folks have no clue how critical our oil situation is or how important fuel economy is for national security, let alone that running their defroster also turns on their a/c. What's more likely is that they are too disorganized and lazy to bother clearing the windshield before they drive off.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.

Last edited by BailOut; 01-16-2009 at 03:26 PM.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #10
billk

Look, I did this post, so people could defrost their windshield in the cold weather without having to run the A/C. This has nothing to do with gas mileage.
First off, I have a 96 Tacoma, i can blow whatever air I want on my front windshield without running the A/C. If it does fog up, I push the A/C button, and it is gone.
But that is not what this is about. This morning in Charlotte, NC, it was 19 degrees F. Why should I need the A/C to DEFROST my windshield at that temp. I do not need air blowing on my windshield that is 20 degrees cooler than the outside air. If you don't know how A/C operates, Google it.
I also do not like to be driving and have the hot air blowing in my face, I prefer to have it at my feet and front windshield. So why should I have the A/C running when I am using heat.
I picked up my kids at school today, and all I heard was the A/C clicking on and off on the other vehicles, and it was 32 degrees F.
All this was is a simple way to have air blowing on the front windshield, without the A/C running, I have had no problems getting the fog off my Tacoma window..
Now for my sarcasm.... If you think running the A/C is only waisting a few pennies, then when your house is cold and you are using the heat,jumper your thermostat so that the A/C runs, and tell me what you think is the problem.I guess your windows will not be fogged up in the kitchen...
b K
Old 01-16-2009, 08:29 PM   #11
billk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post

Exactly. Thanks for the help.
b K

Last edited by billk; 01-16-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:30 PM   #12
billk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Yaris View Post
it took my car almost 20 minutes yesterday to defrost my windshield....not cool.
Because the A/C was lowering the hot air temperature
b K
Old 01-16-2009, 08:32 PM   #13
billk

Quote:
I was talking about defrosting the windshield, not deFOGGING it.
b K
Old 01-16-2009, 08:47 PM   #14
Rich k

Drives: 07 3dr white Yaris 5spd stock
Send a message via AIM to Rich k
Dudes i've been posting about this for like a year now, first off. Second, stop giving bailout a hard time, the guy knows his stuff and is spot on. If your enough of an idiot not to use full defrost to initially defrost a window or when its absolutely necessary to, well darwin had something to say about that. For the rest of your minimal defrosting or maintinance defrosting needs using the non a/c defrost settings mentioned, they will over the course of commuting every day or on a long trip save more than pennies.
Rich k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:53 PM   #15
billk

Quote:
If their windows are fogged up, maybe their A/C don't work.
With Ice on them means that they were in a hurry, and did not give their car time to melt the ice, or their ice scrapper is broke.
A penny save, is a penny earned. 2 tanks equal a gallon saved melting the FROST from my windshield...
b K: