Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-01-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
got a buffer for x-mas TWO QUESTIONS

craftsman C3 19.2 orbital buffer/polisher it has 4,000 opm (orbits per minute I'm assuming instead of revolutions) I think it is random but not 100% sure yet....

I don't know if I'm asking this right.

---Is there a right way/ hand-speed movement to use a buffer at? I know to go fast enough to not burn the clear coat but I don't know if I want to use my civic as a test ground yet...

--- I have a yellow spot around the washer nozzle cutout in the hood and I'm not sure what it is but it is raised above the paint but rubbing compound wouldn't take it off AT ALL.... ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:54 PM   #2
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
craftsman C3 19.2 orbital buffer/polisher it has 4,000 opm (orbits per minute I'm assuming instead of revolutions) I think it is random but not 100% sure yet....

I don't know if I'm asking this right.

---Is there a right way/ hand-speed movement to use a buffer at? I know to go fast enough to not burn the clear coat but I don't know if I want to use my civic as a test ground yet...

--- I have a yellow spot around the washer nozzle cutout in the hood and I'm not sure what it is but it is raised above the paint but rubbing compound wouldn't take it off AT ALL.... ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Can you post pictures of it , cause if its the kind that doesn't look like a varible speed angle grinder than it junk imo .
blacksandiegovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:35 AM   #3
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
If it is not a random orbital variable speed unit I would not use it unless you are very experienced in the detailing business. Those run at a constant speed and it is quite easy for the novice to mar the vehicles finish. Practice on a friends car or go and get a junk hood and try it. (IMO)

Schroom, if you have tried and it's not coming then what you propose will most likely not work. I think you have the beginnings of a rust spot happening just below the surface causing the paint to raise. Man it sure sounds like that.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:04 AM   #4
Shroomster

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksandiegovitz
Can you post pictures of it , cause if its the kind that doesn't look like a varible speed angle grinder than it junk imo .
well this is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klink10 View Post
Schroom, if you have tried and it's not coming then what you propose will most likely not work. I think you have the beginnings of a rust spot happening just below the surface causing the paint to raise. Man it sure sounds like that.

I would hope not....I want to say its some sort of stain from the gasket of a wiper nozzle...I had those l.e.d nozzles (I had them for the chrome not the light)
and it appeared after the last set finally disintegrated
Old 01-02-2009, 02:17 AM   #5
Klink10

Okay you are probably right about the gasket stain. Sounds as if whatever the composition of the gasket broke down enough from age and weather effects leached it into the paint. A good paint polish with the right tool followed buy a good wax coat should do it then. I would not use that pictured tool on my car. As I stated I have several machines the pros use for polish/wax that I thought I could handle the job with. They just run to fast and it was so easy to burn through the clear then paint. But again if you try that be sure to practice on something first to get the hang of it. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:29 AM   #6
Shroomster

Quote:
I would not use that pictured tool on my car.
lol...I'm willing to give it a try...after all it is from the wife....and if it doesn't cut the mustard i can consider it a training wheel for a possible porter-cable...
Old 01-03-2009, 12:35 AM   #7
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Practice on an older car first. Please do not use your yaris as a training ground!

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 02:56 AM   #8
Shroomster

damnit bob, my civic is not that old.....
Old 01-03-2009, 06:33 AM   #9
DFA
Compulsive Washer

Drives: 08' AT Meteorite Metallic LB
Send a message via MSN to DFA
try painting a scrap computer side panel and practicing on it.

DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:37 AM   #10
Shroomster

well whatever I get to practice on (will be the civic) It will happen this Thursday (next day off) and hopefully turtle wax rubbing compound and polishing compound will do the trick (as it's all I have right now and buying something new is out of the question (damnit...)
Old 01-19-2009, 02:14 AM   #11
Yaris_Fan

Drives: Liftback Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
well whatever I get to practice on (will be the civic) It will happen this Thursday (next day off) and hopefully turtle wax rubbing compound and polishing compound will do the trick (as it's all I have right now and buying something new is out of the question (damnit...)
I agree with Klink.

That tool isn't for the inexperienced and probably will create more problems than good.

Whatever you do PLEASE don't attempt buffing with the machine and rubbing compound in the 07 Yaris.
Yaris_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:51 AM   #12
DFA
Compulsive Washer

Drives: 08' AT Meteorite Metallic LB
Send a message via MSN to DFA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris_Fan View Post
I agree with Klink.

That tool isn't for the inexperienced and probably will create more problems than good.

Whatever you do PLEASE don't attempt buffing with the machine and rubbing compound in the 07 Yaris.
Tell me about it... there's a spot right on the center of my rear bumper that doesn't shine because of some of that rubbing compound..

DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:50 AM   #13
Klink10

Schroom.....I never did catch if the intended polisher/buffer machine you propose using is a variable speed random orbital. If not, I do highly recommend that you practice first. I understand the "it's a gift from the wife thing" and would hate for you to realize the potential damage caused by the improper use as also being a result of the "gift". Even when I use mine I practice to get back into the technique or flow before actual use on the target/victim. Before any of this though, did you try and clay the area then do a hand polish followed by hand wax? Just a thought.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:48 AM   #14
Shroomster

Quote:
Schroom.....I never did catch if the intended polisher/buffer machine you propose using is a variable speed random orbital. If not, I do highly recommend that you practice first. I understand the "it's a gift from the wife thing" and would hate for you to realize the potential damage caused by the improper use as also being a result of the "gift". Even when I use mine I practice to get back into the technique or flow before actual use on the target/victim. Before any of this though, did you try and clay the area then do a hand polish followed by hand wax? Just a thought.
yes, that is the initial idea...to get practice in. I just have to wait for the money aspect of it to come about . It is a random orbital, but not variable speed. I am going to get a list of stuff:

Eagle-1 Tire/wheel cleaner

Meguiar's clay bar kit
meguiar's liquid yellow cleaner wax (maybe if money permits)
or Turtle wax Ice wax
meguiar's liquid polish

some more pads (probably be the generic ones from Wal-mart for $3/pair)
Old 01-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #15
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Only two steps matter for one of those:

A) Do NOT stop in one place.

B) Let the cutting agent (i.e. the polish) do the work, NOT your muscles.

If you're a beginner Turtle's polish paste is the lowest I would go (the rest of the stuff is more aggressive then you likely need anyways).

If you remember those steps, and use the recommended product, or "softer", you'll do just fine.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #16
Klink10

You are on the right track and "firemachine" added some good comments. Without the variable speed you must keep it moving and to much pressure will cut more than you want. Good luck and I hope you get the results you want.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:02 AM   #17
Shroomster

now just for the record, you do all realize I will only be using the buffer to remove/buff off right?
Old 01-20-2009, 09:35 AM   #18
Klink10

I (me) wouldn't.....most products call for it to be wiped off while still wet. Buffing dry product puts small impediments in the bonnet which when continually moved over the surface put swirl marks etc into the paint or clear.

If you are doing what ever by hand and are able to remove the stain, why would you buff off the residue after it dries? Just wipe it off.

The buffer/polisher along with the finishing products are used to remove whatever in very small amounts to expose a new finish. The finish is then protected with a sealant/wax.

Bear in mind this is my way and hopefully points out some things you should be aware of.