Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-22-2008, 06:03 PM   #19
natethegreat38
Party like a Barack star

Drives: '08 LB MT
I know I'm all late on this one, but I had to share my thoughts: 3M recently came out with a product called Tire Restorer. Working for a tire manufacturer, we don't recommend the use of tire shine/dressing products that are petroleum based because they draw out the natural oils in the tire and eventually cause them to turn a brownish color (or otherwise discolor) and can eventually lead to premature ozone cracking. The 3M Tire Restorer is supposed to contain NO petroleum products. It works great on my tires and makes them look nice- not all greasy, but not dull either. I used to have a detailing company and used many tire dressings. This is the best one I've found so far...
Old 10-22-2008, 07:01 PM   #20
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I have since changed from 303 on the tires to Stoners. Does not leave a wet residue and has lasted way longer. Still use the 303 on other stuff.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:40 PM   #21
floydisrock
73 Centurion droptop 455

Drives: 2009 S Sedan
I don't like protectants of any kind.
I'll use pledge for dusting the interior plastic,thats about it.
Tires look fine,especially when smoking.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:55 PM   #22
my little snow ball

Drives: white yaris hatch
i use shinning monkey tire shine it is the best i have ever used it cost alot though
my little snow ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:51 AM   #23
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
if the car is a trailer queen the absolute BEST wet dressing is used oil (or fresh if you're stingy about dirty oil)

I say trailer queen as the oil can 'seep' into the tire and potentially create a driving hazard
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:46 AM   #24
k2vitz

Drives: Vitz 2006
F1 Tire Foam for wet shiny look
k2vitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:41 PM   #25
blktiger60

Drives: `08 HB S
I like Meguiar's Hot Shine.

http://www.autobarn.net/mehotshhiglt.html
Old 01-16-2009, 10:59 AM   #26
eht13

Drives: .
This thread raises some interesting points I've noticed elsewhere too. I've heard that some of these products can actually turn tires brown and cause premature sidewall cracks. This seems ironic because a lot of these products claim to protect the tires from sidewall cracking and UV damage. Do they only protect against cracking caused by UV but not by other factors, and then actually promote cracking from those other factors? And do they create a situation where the only way to prevent the tires from looking brown is to use more of the product to get them black and shiny again? I can see using more when the shine fades, but having to do so to prevent brown that was caused by it in the first place would kind of suck.

I have used a little bit of these products a pretty long time ago and was looking into doing so again for the Yaris, but was doing a little research. I don't remember what did or didn't work well before. I also don't really know whether spray or foam (or even gel) is preferable, since I don't want to cause the issues above but I also don't really want the tires to be as absolutely glossy as possible. Thanks.
eht13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:50 PM   #27
06silveryaris

Drives: 2006 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrsdrgn View Post
i heard that tire shine products crack the sidewall of tires....... but i use eagle one and just bought a brand called black magic for it this time since i ran out

i have used blackmagic before. it lasts for some time and doesn't seem to make tires brown
06silveryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:05 PM   #28
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
The best is: Turtle Wax : Wet N' Black

It makes your tires shiny and black for at least a week.... also water proof..... does spray onto body work on windy days... just wipe off....

I have also used Eagle one.... but I found that the sprayer is cheep and doesnt spray in a big enough circumference..... I like to spray the turtle wet n' black then wait a few mins to set it in then re-do....

looks amazing!

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:07 PM   #29
yarstar

Drives: 2008 Absolute Red HB
I like Armour All Tire Foam. It doesn't attract dirt and keeps my tires shiny for a couple of weeks. Good stuff (to me).
Old 01-16-2009, 10:37 PM   #30
eht13

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarstar View Post
I like Armour All Tire Foam. It doesn't attract dirt and keeps my tires shiny for a couple of weeks. Good stuff (to me).
I think that may be what I used before... I looked at it again today and it doesn't seem to contain the petroleum-based stuff that Natethegreat warned about above (most of the glossier "wet-shine" sprays did seem to contain petroleum). If I remember correctly, the shine was nice and black without being overly glossy. Other concerns I had besides those I mentioned above (cracking and browning) were that some products just don't last very long (sorry, but one week is a joke) and that some products come off onto the body panels (I believe this is called "sling").
eht13 is offline   Reply With Quote