Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-27-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Unhappy Rust concern due to damage?

Re-posted in here bc I this I realise this would be a better place.

OK, so I have just noticed that my right rear wheel area on the car has been slightly cracked and damaged/dented.

There is a small crack (less than an inch) near the top of the rear wheel well (is that whut the area is called on the car's body?), and at the other side near the top of the wheel area it's pressed in o more than a little degree. :S

Its nothing thats noticeable, unless you're aware of whats happened as I am now... what the hell? Did someone lightly back up into me? FUCK. And when did this happen?

Anyways, I noticed (I think, I only discovered it tonight and its dark) that there may have been some paint chippage underneath... none thats visible on the exterior looking at the car, but underneath as you move to the inside of the rear right wheel well.

Besides my annoyance at having my car's perfect exterior damaged (her first wound ), I am presently MORE concerned w/ an increased rick of rusting I may now have because of this. (with our cold winter's and all the road salt we use up here north of Toronto) Is this a valid and reasonable concern I should be having at this point? I'm not sure.. im not versed at all in much knowledge re: rust on a car. So whether or not this should be a real concern of mine, I'm not even sure at this point. Just it occurs to me and seems logical that maybe it is?

Sometime this week I may try to get a quote on whut it would cost to repair, but I dont have the $$$ I want spend to fix this, and I don't wanna go through insurance only to see my rates go up even though it's not my fault.

Last time I had to have a vehicle repaired for a deep dent/scratch in the front driver's door, it cost me like 600$ to repair, to un-indent the door in the wrecked area, and to pay to have the paint colour matched and reapplied to hide the damage.

If it's more than a 100$ or so, I'm content to accept it as Cara's first wound, and get on with it. It's not really marring the appearance of my car to a great extent. But if rust could be an elevated concerned now, I feel more inclined to take steps.

Anyone with some comments, thanks.

Jem

EDIT:

Ill try to grab my buddy's digi cam so I can take a picture of the damaged area so yall can kinda see visually whut I'm talking about. Hopefully tomrrow or Tues then. Hopefully the pic will be ok.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:35 PM   #2
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Go figure, grabbed my buddy's digi. First it was dead... had to charge, which meant him having to find where he left the cable thats been lost for some time now. Finally found it, got the cam charged! Then I find out after I have it, his memory flash card isn't in it. He finds it.
Great. Nope. The camera tells me its unable to read the damn card. He must have given me the wrong one or something. Jesus, cant catch a break here. Frustrating. I wanna go get my car cleaned and photos of it as as I can.

Looked at it... the part thats cracked, it appears its the plastic part (obviously). Which is good and bad. If i wanted to fix the crack, they'd then have to replace the whole bumper area it looks like (ie. therefore, not a cheap fix I imagine). But I dont have a rust worry at all w/ that crack. Thats great.

But part thats been dented, was of course the metal. Underneath is where had a bit of paint chip off. And my friend is of the opinion that rust will be quicker rather than slower to set in. :S Crap.

And I just recalled that my deductible is either 300$ or 500$ anyways, so no matter what it costs even if I do go through my insurance, I'm paying that out of pocket regardless. Dont have even $300 free to take care of this presently.

Also, I'm concerned about taking it into the dealership to have a quick peak and give a ballpark guess at an estimate, as I lease this vehicle. If they're aware of the dent and crack damage, may they demand that I fix it ASAP? Not sure what my responsibility is here in the short-term as someone only leasing the car.

Looks like I'll prolly need to find a shop to just take a peak at it and give me an estimate.

--

Well, something just occured to me, dont really know why it didnt before.

Aren't there rust products out there you could buy at like Canadian Tire like stores that would help protect the damage area from rust?

There must be. I could take Cara through the car wash and get her all clean, and then apply the spray. I think this is fairly recent damage (a few days? a week or two?), as I didnt see any corrosion.

Hopefully this should be a pretty decent solution for now.

Feel free to post any opinions or comments on anything re: my situation or what I think may be a solution.

EDIT: (to avoid re bumping this thread again)

It just occurred to me that I could prolly by the Toyota touch up pen, couldn't I? Buy it in the Yaris bayau blue colour of my ride, and apply it on the chipped area. Its not a circular chip like one a stone may cause, but i think it may work.

Hmm, I wanna reflect on this new idea. If that would work, then that would be great. Affordable, and the exposed metal would be protected once again!
Old 02-27-2007, 02:36 PM   #3
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

UPDATE (today):

Well, went to Canadian Tire and bought some Rust Check - Rust Inhibitor and sprayed that on liberally around the damaged area after taking it through the car wash to get her clean.

I really hope this helps keep the risk of rust at bay. :)

And I took the pics of the damage...

(more to come... I'm just posting them all that were taken.)

--

Here you can see where the paint chipped at the underneath part of the right rear wheel well :(

As you can see, its not THAT noticeable unless you're up close and looking for it. (some what helps... kinda :S)

Old 02-27-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
damn, sorry bout what happened to your baby. after seeing the pictures, it does indeed look like some dumbass backed into you. how the hell do you back into the worlds smallest car?? complete lunacy...

--B

ps: the touch-up pen should help a bit. we're currently in the hunt for one as well since the wifey's got a few paint chips on the hood from road debris. damn construction zones.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:47 PM   #5
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Estimates are 900$ and almost 1,000$ from two places so far.

Fack. :S

Going to one more place yet where i've had work done in the past... only his shop is closed until the 5th of March.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:56 PM   #6
YANGSTER

Drives: SILVER YARIS 2007 5DR
Where did this happen? Pacific Mall?
Make sure you post the pix after repair.
YANGSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:17 PM   #7
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Could have happened in Collingwood (where I live and work), or could have happened in Toronto where I was last weekend. I dunno.

I just *noticed* it on Monday. I have NO IDEA when it happened. Its so not very noticeably until ur close and I almost never pass by that part, so I"m not sure how long ive been missing seeing it there. :(