Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-04-2019, 09:40 AM   #73
Maritime

Drives: 2008 yaris 5dr hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type-Y View Post
This is a cool idea. I for one have always loved bugs, in all their various iterations, including the baja bug. I've often thought of the Yaris as the modern day VW bug due to it's simplicity, reliability, dependability and utility. Good luck and post your progress.
Me too, I bought the car out of affordability and necessity but really found I love the little thing. I've always loved the Baja bugs and Manx buggies but they cost so much now that I want to do my Yaris up as an Baja inspired byt the VW's.
Maritime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:26 PM   #74
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
I think you'll have to make rear axle drop brackets if you don't want the angle of the axle affected. I plan on a 3-4" lift and I'm just gonna push that axle down. It will be way too much fab work to make axle mount drop brackets. I took a quick look one day to see if some sort of bolt in drop brackets could be made. Didn't look remotely easy to me.
I had two ideas for that. (1) Where the beam ties into the body, one bolt on each side if I recall. There are actually two bolt holes on either side. Some guys use the upper one once they've lowered the car some. I was thinking using those two bolt holes to make a simple bracket to drop the beam a small amount. (2) was a plate system. One plate per wheel. Sort of like the penguin spacers, but made to "lift" the car by adding ground clearance. I drew it out once, but have moved a couple of times and not sure where that drawing is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type-Y View Post
This is a cool idea. I for one have always loved bugs, in all their various iterations, including the baja bug. I've often thought of the Yaris as the modern day VW bug due to it's simplicity, reliability, dependability and utility. Good luck and post your progress.
Yup. I like those Baja bugs as well. Saw a video or two with a group of them going through some trails near where I live. I watched those videos to see if I thought the Yaris would be able to make it. Haha.. havent tried those yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime View Post
Yep, the LSD will be if and when I do an engine swap if the body is still good. I saw your vids on Youtube. Found them after I decided I'd do the Baja and started searching to see if anyone had done it before me. I'm only planning to use it on some old logging roads etc so after seeing what you did, I'm comfortable with the project. I can't find any tires in the 195/75/14 anymore. They are all discontinued, that's why I need to go qith the 27x8.5 14. I hope the 1.5" lift front and back and some fender massage will be enough to fit them without rubbing.
Thanks for watching! I noticed that size hasn't carried over to the new KO2s. Bummer, for sure. Other tires that I was looking at, and they have more Yaris friendly size options, are dirt rally tires. Not sure how long they'd last on a street driven Yaris, though. I was lucky enough to get the BFGs while they still had them. I believe the Grabbers in 27" size were the next smallest size (not including rally tires).

If you're just looking at some old logging roads, maybe a less aggressive "all terrain" may work.

But then again, the black Overlanding Yaris guy is running 215/75-15 which is about 27.6" tall. Not sure what his "lift" specs are, but it looks like he's having success with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime View Post
I have just a little bit of fab left on one front lift and I'll be ready to install. If I can swing a couple hours in the evening this week I'll get them installed.
Looking forward to your update.
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:52 PM   #75
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjesus View Post
I had two ideas for that. (1) Where the beam ties into the body, one bolt on each side if I recall. There are actually two bolt holes on either side. Some guys use the upper one once they've lowered the car some. I was thinking using those two bolt holes to make a simple bracket to drop the beam a small amount.
I also looked at the upper holes to use to mount some type of drop bracket. Now, I didn't spend an hour poking around down there but I didn't think the upper holes were threaded on the inboard side. And because of the way the "frame" is assembled, theres no access to the other side without cutting holes. Please tell me I'm wrong and that the upper holes are threaded on the inboard side (like the lower holes where the axle mounts from factory). If they are... drop brackets would be very feasable. But then I think, you axe some ground clearance by lowering the whole axle...

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:35 AM   #76
Maritime

My camber bolts arrived in Maine along with some bumper brackets, my front bumper has been flapping around since I changed out a headlight and found the PO had hot glued the bumper on LOL. I'll grab those this week sometime and the last of what I need to install the lift will be in hand. I'm copying the off the shelf lift from Russia that says no axle relocation required, I hope they are correct but I'll let every one know once I get it installed.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:05 PM   #77
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Quote:
Please tell me I'm wrong and that the upper holes are threaded on the inboard side (like the lower holes where the axle mounts from factory). If they are... drop brackets would be very feasable. But then I think, you axe some ground clearance by lowering the whole axle...
You would definitely lose some clearance. Seems, there's one trade off or another, right?

The other idea I had, adds maybe about an inch of clearance without affecting anything else.

Anyway, here's the link to using the upper bolt hole. Surely, it is threaded.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=25
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:31 PM   #78
Maritime

Quote:
You would definitely lose some clearance. Seems, there's one trade off or another, right?

The other idea I had, adds maybe about an inch of clearance without affecting anything else.

interesting. so the 2 holes could be used with some plate to do the opposite and lower the axle an inch to correct for taller springs and keep travel the same. Very interesting indeed. mind you would lose a little clearance but keep factory set travel.

Edit: you'd definately want to put some shock extensions of the same length as well.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:34 PM   #79
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Quote:

That would appear to be threaded for sure lol
I think the 'penguin spacer bearing relocation plate' would be a good idea to get your lift and maintain axle angle + maintain good ground clearance but the only thing I'd be worried about is lateral force. Maybe some sort of diagonal bracing from the bottom of the bearing mount to somewhere on the axle could be fabricated.

I looked at fabricating my own spacers but came to the realization it's not easy cutting perfect holes in 1/4" and up thick steel plate and abandon the idea.

Side note: I just may be able to get off early enough to pick up my rear spacer bits tonight. I'm having an unforseen issue though and may not be able to fabricate/install the lift for a couple months. Bummer.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:36 PM   #80
Maritime

also looking at parts fiches for the rear you could make a bracket to lower the hubs on the axle instead that would give clearance and lift without touching the springs and shocks at all.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:38 PM   #81
Maritime

Quote:
That would appear to be threaded for sure lol
I think the 'penguin spacer bearing relocation plate' would be a good idea to get your lift and maintain axle angle + maintain good ground clearance but the only thing I'd be worried about is lateral force. Maybe some sort of diagonal bracing from the bottom of the bearing mount to somewhere on the axle could be fabricated.

I looked at fabricating my own spacers but came to the realization it's not easy cutting perfect holes in 1/4" and up thick steel plate and abandon the idea.
Ha I just typed my reply before I saw this. I know a guy stateside with a CNC water jet that could cut anything we could draw up.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:48 PM   #82
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

That's what I had done for my spacer build. Took my sketches to a metal place that does custom cutting. They used a waterjet to cut my pieces. Now if I could only weld lime a pro, they'd look perfect when I'm done lol

Old 02-05-2019, 01:49 PM   #83
Maritime

Quote:
That's what I had done for my spacer build. Took my sketches to a metal place that does custom cutting. They used a waterjet to cut my pieces. Now if I could only weld lime a pro, they'd look perfect when I'm done lol
Cool.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:53 PM   #84
Maritime

ok so get an axle from a wrecked car, then do this:

cut off both:

flip from one side other, reweld on bottom:

Or make a bolt on plate:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg yaris axle.jpg (130.5 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg yaris axle2.jpg (126.5 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (128.0 KB, 235 views)
Old 02-05-2019, 01:54 PM   #85
Maritime

but then what to do to match on front is the harder one.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:10 PM   #86
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
scion xb gen1 springs: LIFT IT. LIFT IT GOOD!

Old 02-05-2019, 02:19 PM   #87
Maritime

Ha, ok. I really want to put the lift I have made in tonight because its +7C today here. I wonder if the wife will let me out of bathroom duty to do it?
Old 02-05-2019, 04:51 PM   #88
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Maritime, I don't think that rear cut and weld axle idea will work. Not sure how your axle is built but mine doesn't look like that at all. The bearing mount on the ends of the axle are welded around the circumference of the mount. The axle is like an oval pipe on the ends. On my car, the bearing mount is fully welded around the outside to the pipe that makes up the axle. It's not like pictured in post 84.

Side note:

See where this is going?

Maritime, I'll stop polluting your thread now lol

Old 02-05-2019, 05:36 PM   #89
Maritime

I see ;D

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2019, 05:17 PM   #90
Maritime

Pulled the thule out of storage. Going to need a trim width wise and need to sort bolts but it will.work great and at 0$ budget friendly.