Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-09-2018, 09:05 PM   #19
Tedtalker

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
That's a great tip. Coming up on a drain and fill soon, so will give that a try. Thanks.
I also noticed an increase in MPG. I should have done it sooner! I used Valvolene Maxlife synthetic Automatic Transmission Oil from Wal-Mart. Toyota WS compatible. Tranny is silky smooth.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:14 PM   #20
barongan

Drives: m5
interesting thread, I have the same question
barongan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:53 PM   #21
06YarisRS

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Just did this to my '08 yesterday. About 2.5 L came out and was replaced with an equal amount of Toyota WS fluid. What came out was very clean but not as bright red as the new fluid. I try to do this avery 30000 km or so. When I first got my Yaris's, I did a few consecutive drain and fills within a 1000 km. Overkill but I like to start clean. On my '08, I replaced the filter too. Will change the filter on my '06 next drain and fill.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE Swapped
2008 Yaris LE
2011 Kia Sedona LX
06YarisRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:27 PM   #22
Tedtalker

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
I did the the 2nd drain and fill last weekend.I also dropped the pan and put in a new Wix filter, gasket and O-ring that came in a kit.I also cleaned the gray matter from the two magnets in the pan. By jacking up the yaris on the drivers side I again got a little over three quarts out. The useful trick is when the fluid stops draining; lower the jack and wait a few minutes. Jack it back up and more fluid starts streaming out. Only one lowering and raising of the jack is necessary. And if you change the filter, be ready for the gusher that will come. :)
Old 10-29-2018, 01:15 PM   #23
kat_dog
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch
Hi Tedtalker, You seem to know what's up with the Yaris. I've only had subarus and one tacoma. My boyfriend has a yaris that currently has 170K miles on it, and he's had it since 85K. Never done anything about the ATF. Now the Yaris is not shifting well, getting stuch in lower gears. My experience tells me, well the fluid is probably clogging everything up and we should change it but now I'm reading about this lifetime fluid that Toyota puts out and I'm entirely confused as to what to do. Suggestions?? Do we change it, flush it, or leave it be? Thanks for your insights!!
kat_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:15 AM   #24
06YarisRS

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
In my opinion, there is no such thing as a lifetime fluid unless you only expect the car to last a fraction of what it could with proper routine maintenance. I would drain the fluid a few times a few days apart. Just before the last drain and fill, I would change the filter. That way you slowly introduce new fluid and the filter cleans up anything that the previous changes released. It has been speculated that flushes can finish off failing transmissions quickly as the new fluid frees up contaminants that can clog the valvebody or the new, slipprier fluid can cause friction issues with clutch packs. If the transmission is already having shifting issues, irreversible damage may already be done. So, I guess you and your boyfriend would have to decide if the expense of the aforementioned is worth the chance of it fixing or finishing off your transmission. If it were my car, I would take that chance and I would use only Toyota WS fluid. All of this is simply my thought on the matter. There are likely many Yaris owners on this site that have exceeded the mileage on your boyfriend's car and have not encountered transmission related issues.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE Swapped
2008 Yaris LE
2011 Kia Sedona LX
06YarisRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:11 AM   #25
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Toyota maintenance schedule has ATF replaced every 100,000 km (~62,000 miles).

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2018, 11:22 AM   #26
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_dog View Post
Hi Tedtalker, You seem to know what's up with the Yaris. I've only had subarus and one tacoma. My boyfriend has a yaris that currently has 170K miles on it, and he's had it since 85K. Never done anything about the ATF. Now the Yaris is not shifting well, getting stuch in lower gears. My experience tells me, well the fluid is probably clogging everything up and we should change it but now I'm reading about this lifetime fluid that Toyota puts out and I'm entirely confused as to what to do. Suggestions?? Do we change it, flush it, or leave it be? Thanks for your insights!!
Agreed with there being no true lifetime fluid.

I'd drain the pan then drop the pan and replace the filter. Before this check to make sure your atf level is good and that you don't have a leak somewhere.

Then fill the pan back up with what you emptied. Once that's done in would do a proper flush to get all the old fluid out. It is easy to do yourself using the trans cooler lines. I wrote a thread about it a few weeks back pointing out which line to use.

I'm not a huge fan of multiple drain and fills since a flush is so easy to do yourself due to their being a pump in the transmission