Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-28-2008, 08:43 PM   #1
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
added air to my tires.

So... winter months coming... temps dropped and I noticed that my mpg's went from consistently 43+ to anything in the 40-42range. My last tank (although a small tank) was 40mpg's.

I decided that there were 3 main factors.
1: car taking longer to warm up
2: Tire pressure had dropped from 40psi in the summer months to 32psi currently
3: Due to colder temps... air resistance is higher due to the air being more dense.

Can't do much about problems 1 & 3... So I pumped the tires back up to 42psi.

First tank afterward netted 43.71, which is the higherst i've gotten since august 31st. Haven't noticed any difference in performance/handling or comfort either. So I'm happy with my 1-2mpg I gained back.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:36 AM   #2
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Don't forget winter gas is probably in your tank now as well. I've read where people check their tire psi weekly in the winter.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Just get Nitrogen gas put into your tires and you wont have to worry about decreasing psi, no matter what the temp is outside. Most dealers in my area now offer this and it is usually free.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:15 PM   #4
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
Just get Nitrogen gas put into your tires and you wont have to worry about decreasing psi, no matter what the temp is outside. Most dealers in my area now offer this and it is usually free.
well.... isn't air 80% nitrogen anyways?.... I'm fine for now.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:16 PM   #5
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
Don't forget winter gas is probably in your tank now as well. I've read where people check their tire psi weekly in the winter.
maybe... oregon always has ethanol in the tank... has for years... so other than oxygenating it I don't know what would be different.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:25 PM   #6
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
well.... isn't air 80% nitrogen anyways?.... I'm fine for now.
maybe....buts its still not 100% The Nitrogen will not excape from the tire like regular air does.....
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:51 AM   #7
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Nitrogen is denser than oxygen. Thus harder for it to leak out. With oxygen you loose about 1 pound of air per month slowly from your valve stem. With nitrogen you loose maybe 1 pound every 6 months to a year.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:49 AM   #8
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
I run a special mixture for my tires.

78.1% Nitrogen
20.95% Oxygen
0.038% CO2
0.0018% Neon
0.0005% Helium
0.0001% Krypton
0.00005% Hydrogen

Free Nitrogen is one thing, but to pay $5 a tire like some places charge is another. I'll save my money for snake oil.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:44 AM   #9
voodoo22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
I run a special mixture for my tires.

78.1% Nitrogen
20.95% Oxygen
0.038% CO2
0.0018% Neon
0.0005% Helium
0.0001% Krypton
0.00005% Hydrogen

Free Nitrogen is one thing, but to pay $5 a tire like some places charge is another. I'll save my money for snake oil.
It's like the bottled water craze, where often people are paying for bottle water that's even worse than the water coming from their taps.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:45 AM   #10
natethegreat38
Party like a Barack star

Drives: '08 LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post

Can't do much about problems 1 & 3... So I pumped the tires back up to 42psi.

First tank afterward netted 43.71, which is the higherst i've gotten since august 31st. Haven't noticed any difference in performance/handling or comfort either. So I'm happy with my 1-2mpg I gained back.
As a tire professional, I feel that doing this is one of the worst things you could do. If you live in a colder climate that gets snow and/or rain you want to have your tires properly inflated to ensure proper traction in the snow/ice/rain. Over inflating the tires (as is the case @42psi) will narrow the contact patch and result in less tire surface area contacting the road and less traction.

Personally, MPG takes a back seat to my safety and the safety of my passengers
Old 10-31-2008, 11:17 AM   #11
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
42psi in your tires? are they worn down the center?

damn, i ran too high of a tire pressure in my winters one time and i had to buy 2 new fronts by the end of the season (and i didnt rotate them) as they were on the wear bars down the center of the tire....
Old 10-31-2008, 11:21 AM   #12
natethegreat38
Party like a Barack star

^^^ He speaks the truth... It's hard to convince people otherwise, but it doesn't save you money by over-inflating your tires; sure you get higher MPG, but you are replacing your tires more frequently offsetting the savings.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:03 PM   #13
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
As in most discussions, compromise is good. Standard pressure (in the summer) is tough on fuel, but good for traction (in the winter). High pressure that wears only the center is bad, slightly higher pressure to save fuel is good. I run 4-6lbs over sticker, tires are wearing evenly, fuel economy is excellent, traction is just fine.

One can ALWAYS go "too far"...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:35 PM   #14
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
damage suspension as well ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by natethegreat38 View Post
^^^ He speaks the truth... It's hard to convince people otherwise, but it doesn't save you money by over-inflating your tires; sure you get higher MPG, but you are replacing your tires more frequently offsetting the savings.
stiffer tires from overinflating can cause premature wear and tear or sudden damage on the shocks , struts , tie rod ends , etc. when hitting those potholes of winter and spring . Tires are considered part of the suspension . That's why there's a setting / limit by tire manufacturer and car maker . I can see at the most 36 p.s.i. , I try to keep them between 34 > 35 p.s.i.. This time of year is a pain the from the variation of temps . Try to check them every week if you can .
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:45 PM   #15
voodoo22

Quote:
Originally Posted by natethegreat38 View Post
It depends what you consider over inflating. If you consider going higher than the car manufacturers recommendations, you're wrong and if you consider going a bit over the max sidewall on newer tires you're wrong. If you mean going to 100+ psi or something like that, you may be right.

There is a growing number of people who inflate to maximum sidewall pressure and beyond with no ill affects and loads of various benefits like better MPG, handling, braking etc. Any statements to the contrary are made by people who do not know the facts.

My latest pair of winters have been at a constant state of 50 psi or more and same goes for my current all seasons. I have over 40,000 combined kms on these tires and they still exhibit virtually no wear. Inflating to maximum sidewall and a little higher has only one downside and that is ride comfort, anyone telling you any different either doesn't know what they're talking about or is a liar.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:34 PM   #16
natethegreat38
Party like a Barack star

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
It depends what you consider over inflating. If you consider going higher than the car manufacturers recommendations, you're wrong and if you consider going a bit over the max sidewall on newer tires you're wrong. If you mean going to 100+ psi or something like that, you may be right.

There is a growing number of people who inflate to maximum sidewall pressure and beyond with no ill affects and loads of various benefits like better MPG, handling, braking etc. Any statements to the contrary are made by people who do not know the facts.

My latest pair of winters have been at a constant state of 50 psi or more and same goes for my current all seasons. I have over 40,000 combined kms on these tires and they still exhibit virtually no wear. Inflating to maximum sidewall and a little higher has only one downside and that is ride comfort, anyone telling you any different either doesn't know what they're talking about or is a liar.
Voodoo,
Thanks! I'm glad to know that Yokohama has wasted tens of thousands of dollars and countless hours training me on tire manufacturing, tire construction, tire conditions and more. I could have saved my company TONS of TIME AND MONEY if I had just come here and asked you about the "facts"...

By the way: an "over-inflated" tire would be one that exceeds the vehicle manufacture's recommended air pressure.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:38 PM   #17
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
had winters @45psi for 20kms one winter and had to replace the front tires the following year. that being said, i had my xrs which would often lose traction at lift in cold weather...

i run 36psi daily though

so i guess do whatever you want! lol
Old 10-31-2008, 03:42 PM   #18
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
I always do what the manufacture and the tire dealer recomend. I figure that the professionals know best.