Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-03-2008, 12:47 AM   #1
AVALover5498

Drives: Piece of junk for now....
Brand New Yaris+Huge Roadtrip=Bad Idea?

So I plan on getting a Yaris in the very near future, mainly for the fuel economy. Within a couple of weeks after buying the car I plan on following the tour of my favorite band. They are going to 24 different cities over the course of a month. The trip in total would be around 10,525 miles.

Would it be a bad idea to put this many miles on a brand new Yaris? I'm not concerned with it dramatically reducing the value of the car. My main concern is the car itself. Would I putting the car through too much stress with it being so new? Should I wait a while before I go on the trip?

Thanks,
-Chris-
AVALover5498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:16 AM   #2
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
WHich band? You are going to listen to them play the same songs 24 different times in a one month!? I don't think I could do that even to my favorite band.

sorry, i'm no help to your question. I guess it's fine aslong as you go the speed limit?!
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:30 AM   #3
AVALover5498

Angels And Airwaves. I've already seen them play 6 times. I've also met them 5 times. I guess you could say that I'm sort of obsessed maybe?

-Chris-
Old 11-03-2008, 01:33 AM   #4
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Owner's manual says to vary speeds for a certain amount of miles until the engine has "broken in." I don't think it is a big deal, though. Do it to it.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:33 AM   #5
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Just don't drive at a constant speed for long periods.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:08 AM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I drove a thousand miles the first weekend I had mine -- none the worse for wear. I did vary my cruising speed just to be safe though.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:51 AM   #7
CKaelin

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5 speed
Rock N Roll! Go YARIS...

My other ride's a Gixxer!
CKaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:56 AM   #8
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
You of course have to pimp ur yaris temporarily... Throw some Vinyls etc about the band =p.
they might even let you follow the tour bus

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:55 AM   #9
AVALover5498

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealEnth View Post
You of course have to pimp ur yaris temporarily... Throw some Vinyls etc about the band =p.
they might even let you follow the tour bus
Lmao! I just bought a huge Angels And Airwaves logo for the hood off ebay and another one for the back window. I'm also putting racing stripes on it that matches Tom Delonge's guitar haha. I've wanted to do it this for awhile now. You read my mind.

So as long as I vary the speed a bit and don't drive at a consistent speed for too long it should be fine? Cool. That's easy.

Thanx everyone!
-Chris-
Old 11-03-2008, 12:42 PM   #10
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
... and keep your boot out of it for that first 1-2,000 miles. Keep the rpm inside the 2,000-3,500 range, and it will be fine, no lugging, no revving, infrequent hard acceleration. We took ours on a long trip with only 800 miles on it, no noticeable harm or advantage.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:01 PM   #11
AVALover5498

Sweet, you guys are making this decision way easier.

-Chris-
Old 11-03-2008, 02:42 PM   #12
TheRealEnth
Beast

If you pass by the Southern Tip of FL (dont know if they are coming here) There is so much to do here... Especially if its around March

Its a Chao!!!
Old 11-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #13
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
10k in one month? wow....... that would suck to have that much on your car already...

thats gonna cost you at least $700 dollars in gas, if your typical fill is bout $28..... not to mention the concert tickets..... you should ask the band if they do bundle tickets, LOL to save some money! then food ... and lodging .... and oh my god, i hope you plan on sleepin in your yaris, fold down the back seats and get an inflatable bed or something, that might actually turn out to be fun.....

dont forget to take pictures, especially if you can get the band right next to you and your YARIS!
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:46 PM   #14
AVALover5498

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAR1S View Post
10k in one month? wow....... that would suck to have that much on your car already...

thats gonna cost you at least $700 dollars in gas, if your typical fill is bout $28..... not to mention the concert tickets..... you should ask the band if they do bundle tickets, LOL to save some money! then food ... and lodging .... and oh my god, i hope you plan on sleepin in your yaris, fold down the back seats and get an inflatable bed or something, that might actually turn out to be fun.....

dont forget to take pictures, especially if you can get the band right next to you and your YARIS!
Yeah I've done the math, I have all the money I need for this trip. The tickets for the shows alone will be about $700. I do plan on sleeping in the yaris because hotels will get expensive fast. I do alot of roadtripping so this isnt new to me. I've got everything planned out. I'm not going alone so all the expenses will be split between a friend and I. Should make everything alot easier.

As far as putting 10K on my new yaris is concerned? I don't mind. Cars are meant to be driven. Not sit around. I mean it's going to get that many miles on it sometime right? The only reason I'm getting the yaris is because of the gas mileage. It's literally the perfect roadtrip car. If I wasn't going on this trip I would probably just get my dream car which is a black 2005 Audi A6 sedan.

Thanx,
-Chris-
Old 11-03-2008, 03:48 PM   #15
AVALover5498

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealEnth View Post
If you pass by the Southern Tip of FL (dont know if they are coming here) There is so much to do here... Especially if its around March
They usually play a couple of shows in florida. Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale I think.

-Chris-
Old 11-03-2008, 03:52 PM   #16
TheRealEnth
Beast

See i love the way this guy thinks... I dont like when people whine about miles or gas... This is why you have a car... To go out and live life. Don't let anything stop you. You can waste 10k miles going to work and back... or 10k... Having the time of your life. I waste so much gas and put so many miles on my car just driving around everywhere.. Even if im tight with money. Sometimes i just cruise for a while, relax's me so much. Im stressed out I head to the beach in the afternoon lay there in the sand or read a book, some music or friends, whatever then i head back! All thanks to the Yaris!!

Its a Chao!!!
Old 11-03-2008, 03:57 PM   #17
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
If you pass by or through Detroit, let me know. I can let you know anything you might have questions about such as good places to eat, cool things to check out, etc.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:09 PM   #18
AVALover5498

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
If you pass by or through Detroit, let me know. I can let you know anything you might have questions about such as good places to eat, cool things to check out, etc.
Cool, I'll totally do that. They've played in detroit on everyone of their tours so I would assume that they'll come back again. The last time they played at a place called the Fillmore. Do you know it?

-Chris-