Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #109
Toy_Yoda

Drives: 2006 Scion xb
A truly inspiring and smart build! Nice to know that other than rods and pistons these little engines are so robust. The plans I have for my XB after next smog inspection February is a Blitz supercharger and piggyback fuel management on stock internals. While I'm enjoying the modest gains I'll see from 6 lbs. boost, I plan to build another engine that can withstand the higher boost I can get from a turbo. I'll be sure to take a clue from you and change out the valve springs once the rev limiter is history. Looking forward to seeing the dyno pull once you get a new turbo sorted out and if it's reliable as the last build.
Toy_Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #110
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy_Yoda View Post
I imagine he had no choice but to get new pistons. He showed photos of the damage in his other thread titled "Finally, my motor went". Number 4 piston was damaged previously from a destroyed spark plug, and number 3 took some serious pounding when the valve dropped. Just wondering what piston set he went with and if there was any damage to number 3 rod.
yes, Obviously he had to get new pistons. I read that thread also being I knew about the rods. Hence why I asked if there was any other upgrades he did besides the valve springs. Like you I was asking the same question if he upgraded the pistons but in a more broad approach to include other parts of the motor.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #111
Blown_xa

Drives: Scion xA
I found out today why my 6 month old turbo failed. The oil feed line restrictor had a peice of debris in it, which cut off oil flow tremendously. I did an oil change days after installing the head, but that was probably too late. Also, I have my oil feed line going to a oil filter sandwich adapter, which is pre filtered oil. So lesson learned, turbo oil supply should always come from the block.

Ptuning.com
Blown_xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #112
Blown_xa

Hey just an update... Im going to swing for a gt3076 this winter, but in the mean time I installed a $200 cheap turbo of similar dimension to my Garrett t3/4 50 trim which just failed. Im VERY AGAINST knock-off parts, but Im committed to attending a time attack this weekend. Im running 26psi (4psi less) because I don't want to go too hard on this turbo. Numbers are good , and notice that the car makes power all the way to 8000rpm! The supertech valve springs did wonders, those along with the hayabusa style turbo manifold allowed that to happen. Still stock head, valves, cams, intake manifold , throttle body.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1380250_10201924995419242_51077546_n.jpg (38.5 KB, 183 views)

Ptuning.com
Old 10-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #113
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Nice! Any pics of the Hayabusa style plumbed in?
Old 10-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #114
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
What failed? Bearings?
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #115
Blown_xa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
What failed? Bearings?
oil starvation, do to a piece of debris in feed line.

Ptuning.com
Old 10-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #116
Blown_xa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Nice! Any pics of the Hayabusa style plumbed in?
in this very thread, few pages back

Ptuning.com
Old 10-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #117
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
SWEET. great numbers
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #118
Blown_xa

update: Did my first track event with this much power, I attended Grip Fest which is a time attack. First lap, 3rd gear broke. Our transmissions cannot handle over 300whp doing anything other than drag runs, and daily driving. This was a downer because I drove from 4 hours away to compete , and I didn't think I would be able to make it home ( transmission sounded like ice in a blender ).
Call me crazy, but to put myself in a better mood ...... I decided to make a few runs anyway, skipping 3rd gear. I turned my boost controller off running about 230whp, And posted the 3rd fastest time of the day overall! What an adventure ! On top of that, I was able to make it back to the hotel 70miles away.
The next day was the final autocross for the year, a series which I have been competing in for points. I was leading my class for points, but if I didn't compete I would be handing over the lead. So what did I do? I autocrossed my broken car, and secured the class win. My transmission was SO BAD, that it stopped my car from rolling several times as I was driving through the pits.
Next mission was to make it back home, 120 miles away........... By some miracle , I made it.
Video of the weekend coming soon.

Ptuning.com
Old 10-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #119
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
All I can say is , WOW!

So have you decided on what way you're going to with a new transmission? I vote C160.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #120
Blown_xa

My next course of action is to remove to LSD from the broken transmission , hopefully it is ok. I have my original transmission sitting on a shelf, and it is good. The broken one had taller/Yaris gears. I would like to a transmission cooler setup, just like our time attack tC. Basically takes the oil from the drain plug, pumps (elecric pump) oil through cooler , then back through oil squirters tapped into trans casing aimed at each gear.

Ptuning.com
Old 10-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #121
thefalls

Drives: Axio GT
Now this is quite something. Congratulations! Its a challenge to keep moving in such circumstances.
What gearbox [the one which broke] were you using? C56?

I had some issues lately when i had an autocross event. Gear selector cables broke,managed to change them and then radiator started leaking,managed to fix that too [a friend who repairs radiators for a living was around] and then i won :)
thefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #122
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown_xa View Post
My next course of action is to remove to LSD from the broken transmission , hopefully it is ok. I have my original transmission sitting on a shelf, and it is good. The broken one had taller/Yaris gears. I would like to a transmission cooler setup, just like our time attack tC. Basically takes the oil from the drain plug, pumps (elecric pump) oil through cooler , then back through oil squirters tapped into trans casing aimed at each gear.
I may have a spare Yaris FD if you need a set.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #123
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ haha, me too.

Quote:
Our transmissions cannot handle over 300whp doing anything other than drag runs, and daily driving.
well, knock on wood, but mine has been fine for a handful of track days.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:25 PM   #124
Blown_xa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
^ haha, me too.

well, knock on wood, but mine has been fine for a handful of track days.
You lucked out I guess, this is the first transmission failure in the life of this car which isn't too bad I guess ( considering ). I grew used to the tall Yaris gears, however now that I have a high rev limit, I may be better off going back to my xA gearing . I am really hoping my Kaaz lsd is ok. Does anyone know detailed info on the Kaaz gearset? Are they stronger? I know the ratios are closer..... but I would want that set more for a strength upgrade.

Ptuning.com
Old 10-30-2013, 11:56 PM   #125
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown_xa View Post
You lucked out I guess, this is the first transmission failure in the life of this car which isn't too bad I guess ( considering ). I grew used to the tall Yaris gears, however now that I have a high rev limit, I may be better off going back to my xA gearing . I am really hoping my Kaaz lsd is ok. Does anyone know detailed info on the Kaaz gearset? Are they stronger? I know the ratios are closer..... but I would want that set more for a strength upgrade.
I have been told that this is the only option that we have with the C50. The only other real option would be to upgrade to a TRD Vitz RS Turbo Transmission however from what I have found from research the only way to get that is to purchase a half cut of a TRD Vitz however also on the same token I have read that they are rare. I will be very concerned myself once my engine upgrades are complete on the tranny holding up, but then again I won't be overly aggressive with it since I am do straight line racing so the stock one might hold up, but I am not holding my breath. I have already burned through 1 tranny and that is with only having 50k stock and 20k boosted (7-9psi) miles on it.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:00 AM   #126
thefalls

Drives: Axio GT
The C56 transmission from the Vitz RS is quite strong. The same transmission can be found on the Toyota Starlet Glanza [two door starlet with the 4efte]. But they have a limit too,around 300whp max [dont remember the torque figures] and they are known for 3rd synchro failure on high powered set ups.
thefalls is offline   Reply With Quote