Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-29-2017, 01:12 AM   #1
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
Couple body mod questions

1. What is the best bang for the buck, when it comes to lowering kits? I would like it to just be springs, but I'll settle for something that comes with shocks if I have to. But it seems to me that a simple spring kit would be less expensive. I live in an area that has certain times of the year that are very windy. It would be nice if the wind wasn't able to have the effect on the car that it does. I noticed that when I lowered my mustang, the effect of the wind on the car at highway speeds was dramatically reduced. I want this for my 2009 Yaris sedan as well. I figure lowering the car an inch, maybe 1.5 inches would help a lot. Any ideas?

2. Can anyone suggest a replacement passenger side fog light? Just a replacement, not an upgrade. A rock must have hit mine, because its busted out. But I'm not looking to upgrade right now. Maybe later. For now I just want a single replacement. Doesn't even have to function very well, it can be a chinese knock off. I never use them. Just needs to fit and have a lens that isn't busted. 09 sedan.
BennyLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:35 AM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
For question one, it would be best to get a "coilover" system versus just springs. More likely than not, the damper on a coilover is matched to the range of height adjustment. The dampers themselves could be adjustable too (anything beyond 16 way is purely marketing, even 16 is pushing it). Coilovers will tend to ride better than springs. Also keep in mind that just using lowering springs will severely reduce the longevity of the dampers, especially if you're using the OEM ones.

Question two, just get an OEM replacement for now (see if Rockauto.com has a replacement) and get some some Lamin-x clear film to help prevent them from getting damaged. Why don't you use them? They help with immediate foreground illumination as well as side illumination.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:55 AM   #3
BennyLava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
For question one, it would be best to get a "coilover" system versus just springs. More likely than not, the damper on a coilover is matched to the range of height adjustment. The dampers themselves could be adjustable too (anything beyond 16 way is purely marketing, even 16 is pushing it). Coilovers will tend to ride better than springs. Also keep in mind that just using lowering springs will severely reduce the longevity of the dampers, especially if you're using the OEM ones.

Question two, just get an OEM replacement for now (see if Rockauto.com has a replacement) and get some some Lamin-x clear film to help prevent them from getting damaged. Why don't you use them? They help with immediate foreground illumination as well as side illumination.
For a coilover kit, I would like to get your recommendation please. I know they will range in price, but I'd like to have the "best bang for the buck" kit.

As for the fog lights, I never found them very useful. I just can't really see any more with them. I was going to upgrade them at some point, to something a good deal brighter. I do like having good fog lights, but for me these never really fit the bill.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:01 PM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyLava View Post
For a coilover kit, I would like to get your recommendation please. I know they will range in price, but I'd like to have the "best bang for the buck" kit.

As for the fog lights, I never found them very useful. I just can't really see any more with them. I was going to upgrade them at some point, to something a good deal brighter. I do like having good fog lights, but for me these never really fit the bill.
Unfortunately there really aren't much choices. I only have experience with Tein Flex Z in my GT86 and BC in my friend's previous Civic. My lowering springs for the Yaris are Tein. However, most people here have liked their Megan coilovers here. I would personally get Silk Roads though (I've just learned to spend more upfront than spend more in the long run). Finding a place that sells them may be difficult.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:05 PM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

As far as the foglights then, don't bother replacing the shattered one. Get the TheRetrofitSource's Morimoto XB (not the Scion) foglights:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...to-xb-led.html

Just remember to get the Lamin-x clear protector film.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:09 PM   #6
BennyLava

Quote:
As far as the foglights then, don't bother replacing the shattered one. Get the TheRetrofitSource's Morimoto XB (not the Scion) foglights:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...to-xb-led.html

Just remember to get the Lamin-x clear protector film.

Yes I actually already have some Laminx film heh. Used some to tone down the brightness on a digital water temp gauge for my old chevy truck. Works real well, and has made me a fan of that film for life. I will keep those fog lights in mind for when I finally upgrade. Are they a lot brighter than the stock ones? That seems to be my issue with them. They just don't seem to have enough light output for me to make use of them.

Now back to the lowering kits. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I was under the impression that most factory shocks/struts have about 1 inch of play, (maybe a bit more) where they can be lowered and it won't really affect anything. Cause they are made to go up and down, a lot more than that. But if you were to go wild with it and lower the car 2" or 3", then that is where you are going to run into needing some lowering shocks/struts. Ones that are made to operate in a lower range, than the stock ones.

Here is this kit, notice it does not come with shocks. It does lower the car 1.9 inches though. Might be a little much. The same site also sells a similar H&R kit, that drops it 1.4" in the front and 1.3" in the rear. Not real sure which one I should go with, they're the same price.

http://www.autoanything.com/suspensi...wering-springs
Old 01-30-2017, 02:19 AM   #7
Kaotic Lazagna

From the pics I've seen online, they seem like they work better than some cars' headlights! Those will definitely be an improvement over any factory foglight.

Back to lowering kits...those are the exact springs I have and will be using again (had them on my Vios paired with TRD Sportivo dampers). Drove 100k on that set up. lol. When I traded the Vios in, I kept the springs and reinstalled the OEM springs (only had 8k miles) onto the TRD dampers.

This go around on the Vitz, I'll just install them on the OEM dampers (currently has about 23k miles).

If you're on rough roads and constantly go up steep driveways, you're not going to like the S.Tech springs since it lowers the car about 2". Especially on stock dampers, I'm sure the car will bottom out on freeway dips.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:24 AM   #8
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Several of us here are lowered with the Tein S. Tech springs and love it.

Total cost was $200 USD (installed them with a friend). I don't bottom out on fwy dips. The ride quality surprised me in that it improved from stock. My stock springs felt stiff and squeaky. The progressive spring rates with the Tein's provide a softer ride going straight and tighter in the turns.

As far as steep driveway ramps are concerned, low is low either by springs or coil overs. If you go low enough, you're going to scrape on steep surfaces and just have to get in the habit of taking things a bit slower and at an angle.

My humble opinion is that if you need adjustable height, intend to track the car, etc., then you can only go with coil overs. But it will be more expensive. If you're just looking to lower the car for improved street performance, springs are going to be the most cost effective option.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:48 PM   #9
Kaotic Lazagna

Just to clarify, when I say bottom out, I'm talking about hitting the bump stops.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:13 PM   #10
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Just to clarify, when I say bottom out, I'm talking about hitting the bump stops.
Gotcha. I remember having to cut them to 1.4", which was basically half the bump stop.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:44 PM   #11
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Gotcha. I remember having to cut them to 1.4", which was basically half the bump stop.
I don't think I'm going to cut the bump stop this time around. I'd rather just bottom out on the bump stop than fully compress the dampers.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:04 PM   #12
BennyLava

So how did your ride quality do, lazagna? Still the same as stock?

I take it none of you mean that you're scraping on anything. I may go with the 1.4" kit instead.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:15 PM   #13
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
So how did your ride quality do, lazagna? Still the same as stock?

I take it none of you mean that you're scraping on anything. I may go with the 1.4" kit instead.
With the Vios, I had the TRD Sportivo dampers. So with the combo of the two, the ride was definitely firmer than stock.

I'm used to driving lowered vehicles, so I don't really scrape on anything. However, with the custom resonator back I had on the Vios, the piping did scrape on speed bumps.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:11 PM   #14
BennyLava

Do you think that a 1.4" drop, would still be noticeable? Would it be a noticeable improvement in looks, and a noticeable improvement when it comes to the wind at highway speeds? I don't have any experience in lowering a Yaris.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:08 PM   #15
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Do you think that a 1.4" drop, would still be noticeable? Would it be a noticeable improvement in looks, and a noticeable improvement when it comes to the wind at highway speeds? I don't have any experience in lowering a Yaris.
It'll be noticeable in the looks department. For crosswinds, I think spring rates would have a bigger effect than the drop amount. From what I remember some years back, the S.Tech springs had the highest spring rates of the springs (at the time I got them). You can also get wider wheels and tires to help with cross wind traction.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:04 AM   #16
BennyLava

Thanks again for all the help and replies. Its very much appreciated.

Do you think I'll need to cut the bumpstops on a 1.4" drop? Also, do you think the stock shocks and struts will be ok for that much drop?

Side note: I know you recommend the S-tech, but I just can't go that low. 2" is just too low imho, for me, on this car. H&R make top notch springs, so I know I'll be in good hands with their product.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:30 AM   #17
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Thanks again for all the help and replies. Its very much appreciated.

Do you think I'll need to cut the bumpstops on a 1.4" drop? Also, do you think the stock shocks and struts will be ok for that much drop?

Side note: I know you recommend the S-tech, but I just can't go that low. 2" is just too low imho, for me, on this car. H&R make top notch springs, so I know I'll be in good hands with their product.
H&R is a higher quality brand over Tein. As for the bump stops, look in the instructions in the springs to see if they require cutting the OEM bump stops, and if they do, how much.

I'm either going to not cut mine this time, or maybe just cut off 1/4 (I remember doing 1/2 of the bump stop last time).
Old 01-31-2017, 07:23 PM   #18
BennyLava

Do you know anything about using the factory shocks with those springs? Its only 1.4 inches. I guess there is really no way to know until I try it. But my hope is that 1.4" just isn't enough to bottom out the insides of the shocks/struts.