Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
Heli-Coils? anyone used these?

so im kinda new to these things, and when i say kinda new i mean never heard of them till someone recommended them :D

ive done a bit of research but bottom line comes down to i have no idea what to do with these things. ive watched a few videos online (youtube) but im still not 100% sure it will work that easy

story: i need to heli-coil one of the bolts on exhaust header. for those of u who have used heli-coils before where would i start to installing them and is there even enough space behind the engine to work without the need to remove the engine?

it was also recommended i heli-coil all the bolts is this true?

and when i heli-coil do i use the same size bolt or would i have to change size accordingly?

any advice would be great and more then what i know.

also would toyota do a heli-coil install for this, are heli-coils a professional approach to an issue like this or is it a back yard mechanic bandaid fix? im really considering putting the stock header back on, taking it to toyota and saying "i dont know what happened, i hit a bump it made some noise now fix it under warranty please" lol
Old 02-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I have used them for repairing equipment that I used to work on in the field. They are a professional solution to repairing a damaged bolt and one big advantage is the ability to use the original bolt. Just drilling and tapping means the necessity to move to a larger bolt, whereas the helicoil brings the drilled out and tapped hole down to the original size.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
yaris2010RS

thanks CTScott (as usual), since u have had experience with them and since u have so much experience with everything to do with the yaris would heli-coils be a reasonable option to install for the exhaust header with the engine in place?
Old 02-04-2012, 11:26 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
thanks CTScott (as usual), since u have had experience with them and since u have so much experience with everything to do with the yaris would heli-coils be a reasonable option to install for the exhaust header with the engine in place?
A helicoil would be fine for doing the repair. It would be possible to do with the engine in place, but not ideal. You would need to use a right angle drill and it would be tough to keep it straight.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
yaris2010RS

by any chance do u know what a proper shop would charge for a job like this? i really dont wanna screw it up (and not put the hole straight)
Old 02-05-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
by any chance do u know what a proper shop would charge for a job like this? i really dont wanna screw it up (and not put the hole straight)
I have no idea what a shop would charge, but I bet it wouldn't be cheap labor-wise.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
I used them 35 years ago when I was a ski technician and had to deal with bindings screws which were pulled from a ski. Worked great for that application but no experience using in an automotive repair. Can't imagine why they wouldn't be ideal though.
Yes, gaining access to drill out the damaged hole and then tapping it for the heli-coil may be challenging with the engine in place.

Good Luck!

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #8
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Personally I like helicoils; I have gone so far as to use them in every tapped hole on an aluminum block and head. Also, I leave the component in place while drilling out the original threads, using the component to help with alignment. I have NEVER had one fail, BTW, in 40+ years of using them.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:04 AM   #9
jack daniels

Drives: yaris verso 1.3 vvt
helicoils are a proff solution.
however just because you pay a workshop to do the job wont insure a success, ask several and try and find a mechanic who has installed these previously.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:17 AM   #10
yaris2010RS

my biggest problem with this situation is the loaction of the holes, if it was on the front or the top i would def try it on my own
Old 02-19-2012, 01:32 AM   #11
yaris2010RS

UPDATE:

used the coil inset kit (the sales rep at PrincessAuto was sure to explain that hilicoils is a brand, not the name of the tool) and i was 100% Successful. i tried it once on some aluminum extrusion and i just cant believe how easy it was. my dill also fit between the engine and firewall without the 90* adapter. (mind you i was laying under the car with header and midpipe completely removed)

like usual thanks for all your help, like usual the community made me feel alot more comfortable