Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-20-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Conti ExtremeWinterContact's - took 'em out in the heavy snow today

Bought them just in time this past week. Got 18" of snow last night.

Took the Yaris out for the all important test and must say I'm impressed. Driving in the snow is a pure pleasure with dedicated winter tires. All-seasons are really 3-season tires.

I can take corners with ease, stop very short, and take off like a 4WD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 09544115000.jpg (5.4 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg conti's.jpg (61.2 KB, 188 views)
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
rihdrkc
Blazing Blue Yaris

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3 door Liftback
Good to know. Might look into them next year. Stock tires worked good today for me, but only have 13,000 miles on them. I am sure that they will suck with another years mileage on them.

http://www.yariscentral.com/index.php

Just an old guy rockin it with you young-uns
rihdrkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:00 PM   #3
chew246214

Drives: 2009 yaris sedan base
Ok stock tires with 700 miles sucked in the few inches we got last week.. sliding everywhere... Got a set of Michelin x-ice..... Just went for a quick ride today to test them out..... not too bad actually pretty good except for the fact I live on a hill so getting going is a litle tough sometimes except with a 4x4 or awd..... But we got just under 3 feet of snow and 5 foot drifts I wasn't even sure what car was what on my driveway today... Just smooth white bumps... I knew my suburban right away just due to sheer size..... Either way it's expected that anything not 4x4 on a day with this much snow wouldn't be great.... but hey thats not what this yaris is for. I don't mind wasting the gas on really snowy days and taking the truck.....
chew246214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:05 PM   #4
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
I bought these (or their predecessors) two years ago... love these tires... makes for a very sure-footed car in the snow!
Old 12-21-2009, 02:32 PM   #5
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
Dedicated winter tires really do kick ass. If you know you're going to have to drive in a real snow storm, or a snowy road, spend the money and get some snow tires.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
Winter tires are definitely worth it. If they help you avoid just one accident they've more than paid for themselves.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:58 AM   #7
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Kal-El,
I agree winter tires make a big difference, now could you tell us how good are on every day commute? are they noisy? how good are on the high way? cornering?
I'm asking all these questions because I'm searching for winter tires for my Corolla and this Continental are one of my top 3. Thanks

I hope you enjoyed the snow like I did over the weekend!

Derick.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #8
chew246214

Drives: 2009 yaris sedan base
Any dedicated snow tire you will hear a slight hum nothing to go crazy about... You just learn on your everyday drive where the pavement changes.... nothing major.. as far as handling on dry you most likely won't feel much of a difference... actually might be better handling in dry weather because they are a softer compound... I have seen people at the track using snow tires as a cheap alternative in classes that need street legal tires.. they are soft, grip well and wear quickly......
chew246214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #9
chai
Go Duke!

Drives: '09 Sedan AT
Any snow tire >>> all-season tire for winter snow/ice conditions.

I installed a set of 14" General Altimax Arctics last week and couldn't be happier...
chai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:14 PM   #10
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
Kal-El,
I agree winter tires make a big difference, now could you tell us how good are on every day commute? are they noisy? how good are on the high way? cornering?
I'm asking all these questions because I'm searching for winter tires for my Corolla and this Continental are one of my top 3. Thanks

I hope you enjoyed the snow like I did over the weekend!

Derick.
These are known to be one of the quietest winter tires available. Many reviews say they are quieter than the owner's all-season's or summer's. Very unusual for a very effective winter tire.

As for dry handling? Pretty good. The only noticeable compromise I've noticed is a bit of a sway on the highway when you steer. Not a big deal but certainly All-season or summer tires maintain stability and a straight line better.

And I actually haven't driven in rain yet since I've only had them a week. I predict good wet handling though.

Corning seems fine. Although I really haven't pushed it hard around a corner. I don't feel the need to especially with snows on.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:17 PM   #11
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by chai View Post
Any snow tire >>> all-season tire for winter snow/ice conditions.

I installed a set of 14" General Altimax Arctics last week and couldn't be happier...
Those were my second choice. They seem a bit more aggressive. Supposed to be a great tire as well.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:08 AM   #12
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Wow, everything old is new again... 4 decades ago we were racing jalopies, and the FIRST things we went looking for were old snow tires. They had a soft compound, therefore better grip in the wet or dry, even if they didn't last as long. Snow tires then (as now) had more "aggressive" tread, and gripped in ice and snow like nothing else: lots of siping, big block tread, just like today...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #13
gonzo452001

Drives: 3-door liftback blazing blue
I put some gfg traction ta on my yaris a few weeks ago haven't tried them in snow yet sure killed my gas milege didnt even get 40mpg last tank cold weather hurts it some and winter blend gas I was getting 46 in warm weather
oem style foglights
96tacoma 4x4 xcab I4auto
Weathertech vent visors
Scan GaugeII
gonzo452001 is offline   Reply With Quote