Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-04-2011, 01:53 AM   #1
Connoisseur_of_fine_cars
Oh what a feeling

Drives: Yaris
Just bought a new Yaris

Hi,

I've been driving stick-shift for 20 years in half a dozen cars or trucks. My last car Altima is 15 years old; so I'm not used to driving high-tech cars like the Yaris. I bought the Yaris because I just want a fuel efficient car that gets me from point A to B as reliably as a toaster. I just bought a brand new Yaris LB a few weeks ago, and I have a few issues.

(1) Steering is too sensitive and heavy on the highway. This will probably cause early fatique on long journeys. I can't comfortably steer with one hand on the highway like I can easily with my old Altima. It's wierd how at low speed, the Yaris steering is very light. But on highway, it gets much heavy. My Altima is very light all the time. I wonder if more toe-out will help. Also, I've read Toyota dealers have been reprogramming the computer steering on some Corollas. Can they reprogram my Yaris to make it feel lighter on the highway?

(2) Engine is too quiet, and the gas pedal is too light weight. My car has stick shift. I can't hear or feel the engine speed, nor feel the position of the gas pedal. So sometimes I don't give enough gas and stall the engine, sometimes too much gas and my passengers think I'm showing off. Is there a way to increase the weight of the gas pedal?

(3) Ride is a bit too bouncy. My car came with the 15" rim and wider tires. Would 14" rim and skinnier wide improve comfort?

(4) Seat-belt/key-in-ignition buzzer is very annoying. Is there a way to disable it permanently?

(5) Idle RPM is lower than all my previous cars. The Yaris idle speed is about 600 RPM. It feels too low. When I press on the gas, there's a slight hessitation before the engine revs up. Can I increase the idle RPM to, say, 750?

P.s. Yes, I did do a short test drive. But I didn't really notice these annoying things until I put on a hundred or so miles. I thought at first it feels wierd because I'm not used to driving a fresh new cars with tight every thing. I also drove a new Corolla and a new Sentra. I didn't buy the Corolla because it wanders left and right on the highway. The Sentra was noisy, but in hindsight some engine noise is probably a good thing when shifting is involved. But the Sentra gives crappy MPG. Hopefully, after some more miles, the steering and suspension will loosen up. I got a cushy Walmart seat cushion, and I was amazed how much more comfy the car feels now. Yeah, seat cushions are ugly, but it's worth it. I think I might try lowering the tire pressure. It's probably set very high for efficiency.
Connoisseur_of_fine_cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:05 AM   #2
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
(1) Ironically people here used to mention that the steering was TOO light on the highway.. I think that's something you'll need to get used to

(2) Does your car's instrument cluster come with a tach? If not you can always wire one up yourself so that you can see the engine's rpm.

(3) If anything smaller tires/wheels would cause more bouncing

(4) This one I don't know, I think the buzzer itself is in the instrument cluster so I doubt you can disable it

(5) There is a screw on the throttle body that you can adjust to change the idle. It's hard to describe where it is but I think you can find a picture or two by searching these forums.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:10 AM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
My advice is to seek professional psychiatric help immediately.

You CAN get better!

You are right about the buzzer. Really annoying.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:07 AM   #4
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
the gas pedal is drive by wire. I would be worried if you felt the engine through the gas pedal. you could always add a spring to give it more resistance if you desired.

I added a tach to mine and it does the job. you could also add an intake and exhaust and your engine sound will come back somewhat.

as far as the low rpm at idle, that is gas savings. my cavalier ldies that low and really makes a fuss. I leave it alone since I am saving gas. several people have told me to adjust it but I don't really care. on newer cars (like the yaris) that's just another place to make it more efficient.

the little car grows on you after a while.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connoisseur_of_fine_cars View Post
Hi,

I've been driving stick-shift for 20 years in half a dozen cars or trucks. My last car Altima is 15 years old; so I'm not used to driving high-tech cars like the Yaris. I bought the Yaris because I just want a fuel efficient car that gets me from point A to B as reliably as a toaster. I just bought a brand new Yaris LB a few weeks ago, and I have a few issues.

(1) Steering is too sensitive and heavy on the highway. This will probably cause early fatique on long journeys. I can't comfortably steer with one hand on the highway like I can easily with my old Altima. It's wierd how at low speed, the Yaris steering is very light. But on highway, it gets much heavy. My Altima is very light all the time. I wonder if more toe-out will help. Also, I've read Toyota dealers have been reprogramming the computer steering on some Corollas. Can they reprogram my Yaris to make it feel lighter on the highway?

Today's cars are purposely engineered to give different feedback at different speeds. This is a good thing. The Yaris's city steering feel is brilliant as it is effortlessly light (it's electrically boosted). On the highway, you want it to stiffen up when traveling at high speeds and only making slight turns. If it was as loose as at low speeds, you'd have much less control.

Have you ever driven a BMW? Personally, I don't like them because the steering is waaay too tight. It's like turning a mixer in a barrel of molasses. Even at lows speeds which is quite annoying. Yet, the auto press, and so many others feel BMW's steering is the best in the industry.

(2) Engine is too quiet, and the gas pedal is too light weight. My car has stick shift. I can't hear or feel the engine speed, nor feel the position of the gas pedal. So sometimes I don't give enough gas and stall the engine, sometimes too much gas and my passengers think I'm showing off. Is there a way to increase the weight of the gas pedal?

Toyota goes through a lot of work to make the engine that quiet.

Yes, the gas/clutch feel takes some getting used to but you will. Just have to balance it just right.

(3) Ride is a bit too bouncy. My car came with the 15" rim and wider tires. Would 14" rim and skinnier wide improve comfort?

Never heard the Yaris described as "bouncy". Suspension seems perfectly tuned to me. Tight, yet it soaks up bumps well. I would imagine a 15 year old Altima would be far more bouncy.

(4) Seat-belt/key-in-ignition buzzer is very annoying. Is there a way to disable it permanently?

Are you not buckling up? That's the easy fix. It may conflict with your death wish, but at least the buzzer is off.

(5) Idle RPM is lower than all my previous cars. The Yaris idle speed is about 600 RPM. It feels too low. When I press on the gas, there's a slight hessitation before the engine revs up. Can I increase the idle RPM to, say, 750?

No reason to have it raised. 600 RPM is normal.

P.s. Yes, I did do a short test drive. But I didn't really notice these annoying things until I put on a hundred or so miles. I thought at first it feels wierd because I'm not used to driving a fresh new cars with tight every thing. I also drove a new Corolla and a new Sentra. I didn't buy the Corolla because it wanders left and right on the highway. The Sentra was noisy, but in hindsight some engine noise is probably a good thing when shifting is involved. But the Sentra gives crappy MPG. Hopefully, after some more miles, the steering and suspension will loosen up. I got a cushy Walmart seat cushion, and I was amazed how much more comfy the car feels now. Yeah, seat cushions are ugly, but it's worth it. I think I might try lowering the tire pressure. It's probably set very high for efficiency.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
(1) I can't comfortably steer with one hand on the highway like I can easily with my old Altima.

*** Center console

(2) Engine is too quiet

*** Medalion Touring or TRD exhaust / AFE intake / Exhaust header / any combination of those three

*** springs/shocks/struts

*** seat belt disabler key but you might be describing another function?
http://shop.microimageonline.com/Sea...-BPW-02-BK.htm

(5) Idle RPM is lower than all my previous cars.

*** Nothing wrong with that. Lag is from electronic throttle. Get a throttle controller to minimize this.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #7
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
I have been driving manual cars all my life ( I just turned 64) and yes, a Yaris drives differnt than many cars, just as many cars drive dfferent than each other... even of the same year/model.

Personally, I still had my '02 Celica when I originally got my '09 yaris HB.

It did take me a short while to get use to the clutch because of the slight delay of the DBW gas pedal, etc.
However, it become second natue quickly.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
Connoisseur_of_fine_cars
Oh what a feeling

Drives: Yaris
I commute Mon-Fri to the office on the Yaris. I drive the Altima on the weekend for dirty work. So, switching back and forth between two cars. I don't know if I can ever get used to the Yaris.
Connoisseur_of_fine_cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
xbr3akd0wnx
Meow

Drives: 2008 Yaris, White Hatchback
I thought the yaris engine was extremely loud and annoying when i first got it compared to my friend's corolla or xb LOL
xbr3akd0wnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
RedRide

Quote:
I commute Mon-Fri to the office on the Yaris. I drive the Altima on the weekend for dirty work. So, switching back and forth between two cars. I don't know if I can ever get used to the Yaris.
You just got it a "few weeks ago". Give it a little more time.

Enjoy your Yaris for what it is and why you originally purchased it.
BTW, it's exactly why I purchased mine.

My Yaris no Celica but, I did not let that spoil my enjoyment of my Yaris.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:00 PM   #11
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
First of all, I went from a 13 year old car to my Yaris when I bought it new last summer.

(1) It's electric power-assist steering......on the highway you should be steering with both hands anyway. From what I read about this car, the power only kicks in when you need it, like parallel parking in a tight spot. On the highway I don't think you'd be using much of the power steering at all.

(2) Yes I agree the engine is too quiet. I'd rather it be quiet than knocking like an old car. I've driven manual transmissions since 1974 and I still kill the engine occasionally. You'll get used to it.

(3) How about getting the rear sway bar instead? Maybe that will help with leaning.

(4) You can disable the buzzer by fastening your belt. I never wore a seat belt until I got my Yaris, it's the most comfortable seatbelt ever.

(5) No.

Last edited by DebbyM46227; 09-07-2011 at 09:56 AM.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #12
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Quote:

Driving stick 20 years? Well at least you didn't say you were good at it.

Bro, don't be a chick about it. The yaris is the cheapest car on the toyota line. Don't expect it to be a lexus.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:51 PM   #13
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Yes check some old threads. I was able to get the dealer to fix mine.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:16 AM   #14
bronsin

Quote:
Hi,

I bought the Yaris because I just want a fuel efficient car that gets me from point A to B as reliably as a toaster. .

In addition to all the other issues you are having with your new car, there is something else you should know. The water pumps fail on these cars. Mine is 2 years old and has 26,000 miles on it. The dealer just replaced the wp. This is not unusual.

Open your hood from time to time and check for coolant on the underside of it. If theres coolant (red stuff) your wp is leaking and needs to be replaced.

Just FYI.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #15
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
In addition to all the other issues you are having with your new car, there is something else you should know. The water pumps fail on these cars. Mine is 2 years old and has 26,000 miles on it. The dealer just replaced the wp. This is not unusual.

Open your hood from time to time and check for coolant on the underside of it. If theres coolant (red stuff) your wp is leaking and needs to be replaced.

Just FYI.

It may be something to watch for, but it isn't a givin' that it will fail early. Failing at 2 years old is uncommon. Some are still on the original water pump at over 400,000 miles. Nothing wrong with mine (113K).

I do wonder why the same design goes early in some cars but lasts forever in others. I wonder how driving conditions factor in.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #16
bronsin

Not sure why its happening but Toyota better do something about it if they want to maintain their reputation.

I ride motorcycles and BMW has quality issues they are completely in denial about. Their transmissions and final drives fail long before they should. Not many. Maybe one in a hundred. But they have done nothing.

Unbelieveable.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #17
RedRide

Keep in mind that things like WP and alternator failures are directly related to a failed bearing for the most part

Toyota (like all auto companys) get parts from various vendors and their vendors in turn get parts from their vendors.
So, there are plenty of vendors who can inject inferior parts into the system.

Toyota has said recently that they are aware of the problems and are taking steps to rectify it..... both with their vendors and the Toyota corporate structure as it relates to quality.
They admit to growing a bit complacent about quality.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #18
jekqmb
Local Sh*t Disturber

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
He knows all about fine cars hence his name, thats why he bought a Yaris!!!