Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-20-2018, 10:35 AM   #1
Metaltoon

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
'07 Transmission Problems

Hello everybody! This is my first post to the forum. I just bought my first Yaris 2 weeks ago, an '07 sedan with 130k and an automatic transmission. I put about 50 miles on it after purchasing it private party, and started having an odd issue with the transmission. When I really step on the gas, regardless of speed/gear, the car refuses to shift and hits the rev limiter repeatedly, causing the car to jerk and lurch until I let off the pedal. If I accelerate slowly, it shifts normally.

While I live in a colder climate and it is borderline winter, this is occurring after the cold symbol from the dash is gone, and the car has been driven substantially before hand. I've read every post I can find on here about transmission problems, and haven't been able to gain much insight on the issue. Any help is appreciated. I'm relatively mechanically inclined, but I don't have the resources or time to drop a tranny. I have a local shop I trust for issues I can't handle, but if I don't have to take it there I don't want to

Thanks in advance!!!!
Metaltoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:44 AM   #2
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Have you checked the transmission fluid level? Low tranny fluid is probably not the issue, but it's worth checking just to be sure. I've seen auto tranny cars slip like the bands are worn and they were just low on fluid.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #3
Metaltoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
Have you checked the transmission fluid level? Low tranny fluid is probably not the issue, but it's worth checking just to be sure. I've seen auto tranny cars slip like the bands are worn and they were just low on fluid.
That was the first thing I checked. Clean, clear, and full.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:47 AM   #4
Leegamer

That sucks. It's likely something internal like the bands or maybe torque converter? My yaris is a manual, so I don't know what the life expectancy for the auto is, but I'd think it would be more than 130k before major issues.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:54 AM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
You won't find anything here by searching. The auto tranny has proven to be essentially bullet proof with very little reported issues. If, as you say, the fluid is full and clean and your problems exist at normal operating temps, then I'd say a trip to the shop is in order.

What's going to suck is the potential of a repair in this situation being essentially what market value of the car is.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2018, 11:13 AM   #6
Metaltoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
You won't find anything here by searching. The auto tranny has proven to be essentially bullet proof with very little reported issues. If, as you say, the fluid is full and clean and your problems exist at normal operating temps, then I'd say a trip to the shop is in order.

What's going to suck is the potential of a repair in this situation being essentially what market value of the car is.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
I got the car for $800 under book value, so if I have to sink some money into it it's not the end of the world I guess. I'd rather fix it now before it gets worse. I bought this to commute fr work, so I'm hoping this is the only thing I run into. It seems to be in very good condition otherwise. Any recommended things to check on the rest of the car based on mileage, ect?
Old 11-20-2018, 11:34 AM   #7
Leegamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaltoon View Post
I got the car for $800 under book value, so if I have to sink some money into it it's not the end of the world I guess. I'd rather fix it now before it gets worse. I bought this to commute fr work, so I'm hoping this is the only thing I run into. It seems to be in very good condition otherwise. Any recommended things to check on the rest of the car based on mileage, ect?
Right around 130k I had issues with front wheel bearings and the water pump. I also just had my wiper motor die at around 140k.

Anything spinning is going to start to wear down over 100k so I'd check water pump, alternator, wheel and suspension components. The motor is pretty reliable as long as you keep up with the oil.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:38 PM   #8
Metaltoon

Well, my transmission guy couldn't find a single thing wrong without the transmission. Any other suggestions?
Old 11-24-2018, 02:08 PM   #9
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Any codes?
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:35 PM   #10
Metaltoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-x-fire View Post
Any codes?
None at all. My mechanic drove it with his scanner hooked up, and nothing popped up.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:57 AM   #11
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Looks like you found an honest mechanic. Just drive so it doesn’t act weird. I think you dodged a bullet because many mechanics would take you to the cleaners. Just drive carefully and see what happens.

How cold is it there now? Perhaps that’s part of the problem if it’s very coldr?

I was just back in upstate New York where it’s very hilly and my transmission didn’t shift as smooth as it does in New Jersey where it’s very flat. I’m not worried at all .
Old 11-29-2018, 03:29 PM   #12
Mike Dexter

Drives: '10 Hatchback
Bad speed sensor(s) that read the engine or transmission revolution will cause all kinds of weird things to happen, without throwing any codes. Never heard of these going bad on Toyotas but it is worth trying.
Mike Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote