Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-31-2007, 08:04 AM   #19
Tokiko

Drives: '93 Chevy Cavalier
Send a message via AIM to Tokiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb25 View Post
Good luck trying to get the ABS or power anything in NY. I've been trying since February at 5 different dealerships...
Every single one will try to get you into a Corolla or a Scion if they can and will never understand why you would want any kind of options on a Yaris.

Anyway, long story short, there are NO cars with power or ABS in the entire state- they don't even send them here. You do have a few options though...

Anyway, I have found first-hand they will try to get you to buy anything they already have on the lot no matter what you tell them...
Haha I thought that too, after doing a quick search on the Toyota website. There are so many Toyota dealerships in this area (Westchester / Putnam Counties, in NY) that it's not even funny. Where I live, we're right on the CT border, and south enough that a handful of NJ dealerships are within 50 miles.

That search I did was really funny, too. I did a quick search for both Sedan and LB versions of the automatic Yaris w/Cold weather and Power packages, and two of the closest dealerships didn't show up as results, but three that won "President's Awards" did. So, I sent those three emails, and their replies have seemed rather scant.

One, (Mt. Kisco's Toyota North,) has sent me three emails since my query, even though I've already talked to one of their salesman already. In fact, the guy outright told me that they don't have any Yarii on their lot, at all. After finding that out in my first conversation with them, I told them I'd get back in touch with them when I was ready to buy, and all of their emails since have informed me of their many other Scion, Toyota and Lexus models that they have. (None of which were Yarii.)

Curry/Geis Toyota was the dealership I was talking about in that rant, before. When Geis owned all their dealerships they were awesome. In the past few years, Curry has slowly grabbed up every single Geis-owned dealership, and re-labelled them part of the Curry family's (many, apparently) dealerships.

From looks alone, Curry had at least 20 Scions, 15 Yarii, and 4 Corollas on their lot. One of the Corollas had a huge "SOLD" sign covering 2/3's of the windshield. That left 3 Corollas on the lot they could even show me. Of those, I think 2 were LE models. The Corolla I was taken on a test-drive in, had a moon-roof, and so many options thrown into it that the ticket on the side said the MSRP was $20k+.

I also talked to a dealership in Connecticut- Greentree Toyota in Danbury. The form I filled out on the Toyota site marking down exactly what model and options I wanted in my prospective car, and sent out feelers to the shops in Mt. Kisco, NY, and Greentree. Greentree's "Internet sales department" sent me an email within an hour, and I was on the phone with them within three.

I got a lot of good answers from the guy, but wasn't told that there would be added taxes and fees if I purchased a car in CT and took it back over the border to NY. The guy at Curry was so fast to point that out that it wasn't funny. I certainly hope that's not the case, though. The guy at Greentree seemed to be the nicest guy I got in contact with.

I told all three dealerships I talked to exactly what I wanted, and only the one in CT was willing to talk about Yaris models, and said that getting ones with both CW/Power pacakages wouldn't be a problem. When I first walked onto the Curry lot, I also saw that two of the Yarii that were there, also had both packages already installed.

I live not even 50 miles north of NYC, placing me right exactly between the city, CT and NJ. I guess being this far south might help getting the exact car you want. It's really funny though. If you talk to anyone in NYC or even Westchester county, and tell them you live in Putnam, the standard reaction is "Oh, you live *upstate.*" That definition is kinda fluid down here. A lot of people don't even know that Rockland County is in NY, they think it's in NJ. If you ask me, though... I'd say "upstate" NY begins just north of us, in Dutchess County, north. That's just me, though. Haha.
Tokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:31 AM   #20
Shijima

Drives: 07 HB
I feel for you my brothers in the south, the dealers here usually bend over backwards to help you out, what good is a customer industry with no customers?
Shijima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:04 PM   #21
Tokiko

Drives: '93 Chevy Cavalier
Send a message via AIM to Tokiko
Don't get me wrong, either guys. I'm not trying to sound all negative, either. Previous posters were entirely right. I should have had more info on my own BEFORE I accidentally sent emails via the Toyota site or returned dealers' phone calls.

Walking onto a lot and asking "What do YOU think if I was looking into a Yaris or a Corolla?" was TOTALLY wrong. By no means do I consider myself an expert in cars, so I figured I better be educated before I make such a big decision. I just wasn't expecting to be thrown such a "OMFG look at this huge deal we're pulling out of our magic top-hats for you!1!1!" type responses right out of the gate.

Walking from that dealership and deciding to take my time seems to have been the better path.

The Yaris really seems like the way to go. Now I just need to decide whether the sedan or hatch are better routes. I'm single right now, and don't really foresee that changing soon. Four doors might not exactly be necessary except for the times my friends from work and I might go to movies and all.

As if the Yaris' MPG ratings didn't seem impressive enough... There's a part of me-- because this would be my first "new" car-- that wants to try and boost those ratings as much as possible, too. All this thinking left me with more questions:

1- Does lowering the suspension / putting on different tires affect more than looks?

2- Would removing the front passenger seat, spare tire, jack, and other dead weight in the car do anything to significantly boost performance?

3- I figured boosting aerodynamics as much as possible would probably help more... Are the mods needed to do this sort of thing affordable? Or does the cost involved in doing such mods negate any net-savings achieved by the mods?

Not trying to resurrect dead horse topics here, but these sort of things were what I was throwing around my head yesterday.
Tokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:36 PM   #22
Motorhead6T5

Drives: 07 NCP96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokiko View Post
All this thinking left me with more questions:

1- Does lowering the suspension / putting on different tires affect more than looks? Yes,you will get better handling and the car won't float around in the lane at higher speeds.

2- Would removing the front passenger seat, spare tire, jack, and other dead weight in the car do anything to significantly boost performance? A little bit,not worth it in my opinion though. Imagine if you get a flat.

3- I figured boosting aerodynamics as much as possible would probably help more... Are the mods needed to do this sort of thing affordable? Or does the cost involved in doing such mods negate any net-savings achieved by the mods? Without a wind tunnel and some engineers that going to be a hard task.
Not trying to resurrect dead horse topics here, but these sort of things were what I was throwing around my head yesterday.
^^^