Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-26-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
Emerge
On a trek to upgrade...

Drives: 2003 Echo Coupe
Question about calculating MPG

In the sticky at the top of the forum it says to divide your trip miles by the number of gallons it takes to fill up the tank again. But, logically, doesn't it make more sense to divide the trip miles by the amount of fuel you put in the first place?

If I were to be using the method I just described, would it make a big difference?
Emerge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
Fill the tank and set trip odometer to zero. Drive until you need gas again. Fill the tank again, and the amount of gas it takes to fill it the second time is the gas that you ran out while accumulating the miles indicated on the trip odometer. Divide that number of miles by the number of gallons it took to fill the tank the second time. Set the trip odometer back to zero again and repeat for the next MPG check.

You ALWAYS have to start with a full tank to check MPG. When you fill the tank the next time, that is how much gas you have used to drive whatever number of miles you have driven.

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Over time you would end up with the same average so it wouldn't matter, but it's more logical to calculate when you have both variables at once (tank miles plus tank fill amount).

Your method would require tracking what you consumed on your last fill up for as long as the tank lasts, which for me is about 2 weeks in the summer. That's a lot of work to get the same result.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerge View Post
In the sticky at the top of the forum it says to divide your trip miles by the number of gallons it takes to fill up the tank again. But, logically, doesn't it make more sense to divide the trip miles by the amount of fuel you put in the first place?

If I were to be using the method I just described, would it make a big difference?
NO. Lets say your first fillup was 10 gallons and then you traveled 80 miles and filled up again. You wouldnt divide 80 by 10. You wouldnt divide 80 by how much you put in the second time which would probably only be about a gallon or so.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisOwnersDad View Post
Fill the tank and set trip odometer to zero. Drive until you need gas again. Fill the tank again, and the amount of gas it takes to fill it the second time is the gas that you ran out while accumulating the miles indicated on the trip odometer. Divide that number of miles by the number of gallons it took to fill the tank the second time. Set the trip odometer back to zero again and repeat for the next MPG check.

You ALWAYS have to start with a full tank to check MPG. When you fill the tank the next time, that is how much gas you have used to drive whatever number of miles you have driven.

Tom

and....for the most accurate measurement, [without using your own graduated cylinder]

try to do this 3 times in a row, using the same gas station, same pump, parked in the exact same spot, and same time of day (early morning is best)
for the most accurate mpg calculations.

different pump handles shut off tolerance can vary by 1-5 tenths
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
For a truly accurate fuel mileage, you need to average your results out over as long of a period of time as possible.

There are far too many independent variables to honestly know how well your car is doing with just one tank...

Many, as you can see, use GasSavers.org to track their results.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:11 PM   #7
Emerge
On a trek to upgrade...

I guess I've been doing it wrong. But, the good thing is that I've been keeping track in a little notebook, so all I have to do is reconfigure my equation.

Thanks fellas.
Emerge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:29 AM   #8
Emerge
On a trek to upgrade...

The method you guys described actually boosted my MPG numbers. :)
Old 05-31-2010, 03:33 AM   #9
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
i think the most accurate way would be to get a scanguage.

and congrats on higher numbers. now what are they?
Old 06-01-2010, 03:45 AM   #10
Emerge
On a trek to upgrade...

I'm considering a scanguage. The numbers were slightly higher now that I calculated the MPG correctly. My mean is in my sig.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:12 PM   #11
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

A Scangauge is a good thing to have for showing instantaneous and trip mileage, which can help you to adjust your driving technique to improve your mileage. But what it's showing is actually an estimate, which you have to cross check against the real mileage figure you get from dividing the miles driven by the fuel you put in when you gas up. It'll probably be very close when you get the device programmed right, but not exact.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #12
CKaelin

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5 speed
Scanguage is Great!

My other ride's a Gixxer!
CKaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:18 PM   #13
smell my finger

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
I use the Road Trip app on the iPhone to track my milage. There is a free version which is great but I ended up buying it cuz with the paid version you can export your data. Milage is just something fun for me to obsese over.
smell my finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:56 PM   #14
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
A Scangauge is a good thing to have for showing instantaneous and trip mileage, which can help you to adjust your driving technique to improve your mileage. But what it's showing is actually an estimate, which you have to cross check against the real mileage figure you get from dividing the miles driven by the fuel you put in when you gas up. It'll probably be very close when you get the device programmed right, but not exact.
i think that is the best way to use a scanguage, to see an instant average, so you can make it higher. even if it is off a bit, the main point is you now have a goal to beat.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:25 PM   #15
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Right.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote