Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-28-2014, 07:51 AM   #55
boooggy

Drives: 2014 Yaris lb 1.33L
interesting...
here for fog switch and relay i payed like 80 euros (at dealer)
boooggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:39 AM   #56
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The European Yaris fog light relay is: 90080-87021

The Tyco VFM-11F41-Z16 is an aftermarket equivalent, which is less than $10 US.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:58 AM   #57
lambros

Drives: TOYOTA YARIS S 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The European Yaris fog light relay is: 90080-87021

The Tyco VFM-11F41-Z16 is an aftermarket equivalent, which is less than $10 US.
That relay I use to my friend yaris...18€....dealer price 90€...the same job..
lambros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #58
geoded

Drives: Yaris MY2012 - 1ND-TV
Wich wires turn on the foglights symbol in the instrument panel ?. Where is it located and what color wire is it? Thanks.
geoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:39 PM   #59
ucsmfu

Drives: yaris le
where can I buy 2012 Yaris hatchback fog light kit ?

Thanks
ucsmfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:21 PM   #60
Eforno

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2014 LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely Red 12 View Post
Remove the lower steering column cover.
Locate the connector shown in my picutre.
Tap the fog switch wires, one to the violet, and the other to the green wire.
The two by themselves.

You can alternatively not use a switch, and jump the two wires, they will go on, and stay on when the headlights are turned on.

I tried PMing you but it didn't work for some reason; I see no record of it in my sent inbox. I've read this entire thread and I am still confused with how the wiring works. How exactly do you jump a wire? Scott's definition is to connect it with the switch, but how do I jump it without anything, as to test if the relay is there or what not. All I can think of when it comes to jumping a wire to to slice it open and then twisting it together.
Eforno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:34 PM   #61
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eforno View Post
I tried PMing you but it didn't work for some reason; I see no record of it in my sent inbox. I've read this entire thread and I am still confused with how the wiring works. How exactly do you jump a wire? Scott's definition is to connect it with the switch, but how do I jump it without anything, as to test if the relay is there or what not. All I can think of when it comes to jumping a wire to to slice it open and then twisting it together.
Tap Splice connectors are the easiest way. They bite through the insulation on two pieces of wire to make the connection:

Old 01-13-2016, 12:13 AM   #62
Eforno

Quote:
Tap Splice connectors are the easiest way. They bite through the insulation on two pieces of wire to make the connection:

I thought of scotchlocks when Absolutely Red 12 mentioned tapping the wires from the fog switch to Pin 3 and 4; I was just confused about what it meant to "jump" a wire, because I wasn't expecting to have to splice into any wires just to "check/test" them. Instead, I thought using something like an alligator clip wire to clip onto each pin would work; because if I jumped 2 wires with a tap and they happened to be the wrong ones, I'll end up having to seal the plastic insulation of each wire, as caused by the removal of the tap. (I don't even know if using alligator clips to jump wires would work. I made that whole scenario up in my head w/o any electrical/wiring knowledge)

So just to clarify, to jump wires that are inserted into a connector, I should pull one of the wires w/ the pin out, cut the pin off, and then t-tap it to the pin wire that is still in the connector?

Another thing I can't really comprehend is, how is it that purple and green wire in Absolutely Red 12's picture pin 3 & 4, respectively, if when the connector is oriented like this: .

And as for the fog light switch, can I just tap any of the two of the four switch wires to the purple or green pin wires? What do I do with the remaining two wires from the fog light switch? Fuse tap one of the wire to dash illumination, and ground the other wire?

I sorry I have so many questions, and I know many may have already been answered in other threads, but thank you so much for always answering CTScott
Old 01-13-2016, 06:23 AM   #63
CTScott
ULTIMATE

That connector diagram is showing it from the pin side, so imagine flipping that diagram to the left, like flipping a page, then you are looking into pins 3 and 4 where the green and violet wires are.

If you wanted to test without crimping, you just stick a paperclip or piece of stripped wire into the back of those two wire holes to make contact with the pins.

To turn the fogs on you can splice those two wires in place - you do not need to cut them, as the OEM fog light switch would simply complete the connection between the two wires.

If you wanted to use a switch you could tap a wire separately to each and go from the wire to one of the switch contacts. You only need a single pole switch, so just two contacts are used.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:04 AM   #64
Eforno

Quote:
To turn the fogs on you can splice those two wires in place - you do not need to cut them, as the OEM fog light switch would simply complete the connection between the two wires.
I didn't know a t-tap/scotch lock can just combine 2 wires together without one end of a wire cut off. Or did you mean like stripping the middle of each wire and that twisting them together? And if I were to wire my fog lights this way, the fogs likes will be on & off with respect to my DRL, Low Beam, and Hi-Beam being on & off?

Quote:
If you wanted to use a switch you could tap a wire separately to each and go from the wire to one of the switch contacts. You only need a single pole switch, so just two contacts are used.
I was actually planning to just use the four wire switch that comes with the fog light kit. So should the install be something like what I thought of before:

Quote:
And as for the fog light switch, can I just tap any of the two of the four switch wires to the purple or green pin wires? What do I do with the remaining two wires from the fog light switch? Fuse tap one of the wire to dash illumination, and ground the other wire?
Thanks once again for the prompt reply! And I'm really sorry if it seems like I'm sounding too dense, I just want to make sure everything is correct before I start the install.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:33 PM   #65
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I didn't know a t-tap/scotch lock can just combine 2 wires together without one end of a wire cut off. Or did you mean like stripping the middle of each wire and that twisting them together? And if I were to wire my fog lights this way, the fogs likes will be on & off with respect to my DRL, Low Beam, and Hi-Beam being on & off?

I was actually planning to just use the four wire switch that comes with the fog light kit. So should the install be something like what I thought of before:

Thanks once again for the prompt reply! And I'm really sorry if it seems like I'm sounding too dense, I just want to make sure everything is correct before I start the install.
Some are capped on one end for one wire, but most are open on both ends allowing tapping of two wires without cutting either.

If the kit was aftermarket you will likely not be able to use the switch, as the aftermarket foglight kits have internal circuitry which bridges the switching and illumination circuits. The OEM switch does not do this, so you would either need to modify the aftermarket switch or use a generic switch.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:58 PM   #66
Eforno

Quote:
Some are capped on one end for one wire, but most are open on both ends allowing tapping of two wires without cutting either.

If the kit was aftermarket you will likely not be able to use the switch, as the aftermarket foglight kits have internal circuitry which bridges the switching and illumination circuits. The OEM switch does not do this, so you would either need to modify the aftermarket switch or use a generic switch.
Ooo, I thought that all scotch locks had a sealed end on one side; thanks for letting me know. As for the a generic switch, would this one do?

Also I tried removed the lower switch panel with some prying toolstoday, but it just wouldn't budge. Can I just pry it open enough and than just apply controlled force to pull it off?
Old 01-13-2016, 10:13 PM   #67
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Ooo, I thought that all scotch locks had a sealed end on one side; thanks for letting me know. As for the a generic switch, would this one do?

Also I tried removed the lower switch panel with some prying toolstoday, but it just wouldn't budge. Can I just pry it open enough and than just apply controlled force to pull it off?
I am not sure on the switch. Not enough info to tell.

I believe only the switch blank removes, not the whole panel. I personally have not taken apart a 3rd gen.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:51 PM   #68
Eforno

Quote:
Cheesus, the Toyota OEM Fog light switch is $46 on Amazon . May you send me a link to a possible generic fog light switch that could work?

Quote:
I believe only the switch blank removes, not the whole panel. I personally have not taken apart a 3rd gen.
I meant the "pull away" part of the picture, not the panel where the switches are - the panel cover that covers all the wires behind it.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:14 AM   #69
Eforno

Quote:
So after looking through eBay for the Micturning Switch I posted, it states:
• Upper light is ON when the switch is pressed IN.
• Lower light can be wired to separate dash light circuit.

I guess it's not going to work.

Will these switches be my only option?
Old 01-15-2016, 09:36 PM   #70
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
So after looking through eBay for the Micturning Switch I posted, it states:
• Upper light is ON when the switch is pressed IN.
• Lower light can be wired to separate dash light circuit.

I guess it's not going to work.

Will these switches be my only option?
No idea with those - There is no wiring diagram showing if the switch is isolated from the light. You need to find one (or contact the seller to verify) where the switch is one set of contacts and the light is isolated on another set of terminals.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:41 PM   #71
Eforno

Quote:
No idea with those - There is no wiring diagram showing if the switch is isolated from the light. You need to find one (or contact the seller to verify) where the switch is one set of contacts and the light is isolated on another set of terminals.
Thanks, I think I'll just get both switches and try them out. If they don't work I'll just tap them together with some t-taps and male connectors. Doesn't seem logical to spend 46$ on an oem switch, when the fog light kit is practically the same price.