Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #55
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
if they try to tailgate me I'll brake check them faster than they can change the radio station.
^^^^^ This. Me too. Rarely happens though.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:01 PM   #56
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by broody View Post

Even if I get brake checked, I'll continue to tailgate you (with my high beams ON), I'll just be more prepared to brake quickly. Just drive faster or let people pass is they boher you. At least with a motorcyle it's easier to pass people anywhere (although not safer).

And I see the Yaris hatchback as the replacement of the Civic hatchback of the 90's. So, for me, it's a small car for young drivers who like to drive quickly around town, not a grandma car.
*Sigh* These two paragraph reveal such ig*****ce, I almost don't know where to start. I'm not sure I can fault you that much though, as I had a similar attitude for probably the first 9 years I had my DL,and I got my DL when I was 16. As you can read from my reply to why?'s same post that you are replying to, I occasionally do the same thing.

First of all, I don't know how much traveling you have done, but it is ig*****t to assume that the construction/composition of all roads fits to your experience. When tailgating happens to me, I'm going the speed limit or at most 1-2 mph under the limit. It almost always happens to me on roads that are one lane in each direction and most of that time there is a double yellow line. On most of the roads like this (and many other roads in Texas) there is no shoulder. Texas is a low tax, low service state, so I imagine this is a large reason for the lack of shoulders. These roads are also usually in unincorporated areas with less 'motivation to tax'. Also, these roads lack sidewalks. There are usually deep open drainage ditches that are cut right next to the road, so it's not as though you can pull over onto dirt. So, there often aren't those options you are assuming are there. If I'm going the limit or slightly under, and I'm in the rightmost lane (in a driving on the right side country), I'm not going to go faster and break the speed limit just because the person behind me doesn't like the speed I'm going. If the person wants to break the law and pass me, that's fine with me. Member Why? lives in the Cape Cod area. I've never been there, but I've been to almost every other area of MA. The Cape Cod area is certainly not an urban area, so I imagine the roads are similar to other bucolic areas of MA, which are similar to like areas of TX, with roads like those I've described (very different from many parts of CA....took me awhile to get used to them.).

I'd love to see what happened if you were 'continuing to tailgate with my high beams on' and both of you passed a cop.

"So, for me, it's a small car for young drivers who like to like to drive quickly around town, not a grandma car." Okaaaay. 'So, FOR ME' ...Okaaaay. As another poster pointed out about another post on this thread, this = a young me-me attitude. You will eventually learn that the world doesn't revolve around you.

"for young drivers who like to drive quickly around , not a grandma car." - This is your perspective, your opinion. Fortunately, others have different opinions. What gives your opinion more validity than that of someone else? Answer - Nothing. Fortunately the roads are governed by what we call laws, not opinions.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:18 PM   #57
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
Nicfin, I think it's due to what the others said, Alabama and most of the Southern states are full of rednecks. Even here in Indiana we have our share of them, most of them disgruntled General Motors workers who were laid off last summer when the GM Stamping Plant closed. And the local Ford Motor Co./Visteon closed also.

Another thing it could be is the people who just plain hate Japanese cars, for the above reasons. Years ago I was lined up at the Indpls Motor Speedway to get in for the first day of qualifying and I just happened to be in line behind a UAW worker with a bumper sticker that said "I'm Union and I'm Damn Proud of It". He was drunk and when he saw my Honda CRX he threw a beer bottle through my glass. It just so happened a Safety Patrol guy came by at the same time and had him arrested by the State Police.

Still, there's not a week that goes by where someone tries to run me over and they all get the finger.
When I lived in Southern California, about half the time I lived with roommates. One roommate I had was born and mostly raised in Orange County (CA) and then when he turned 16, his dad got transferred to Detroit. They moved to Rochester Hills, MI and he finished up at Rochester Adams High School (Madonna is an alum) and then went on to the University of Michigan, played Water Polo there, and later came back to Southern California. He said no one would dare show up with a foreign car and park it in the student parking lot for rear of what would happen to it. I remember thinking at the time how can the attitude of the people in a pretty prosperous area with well educated people be like that. I thought what a bunch of neanderthals. During the first year I had my Yaris, I was driving down a street in Warren, MI and was cut off in a way that I knew some of this attitude still had prevailed.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #58
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Is not letting me pass worth a fight?
You are unpolite by driving slowly without letting people pass, it's normal to get the same lack of politeness from the guy behind you.

And the top drivers at work (food delivery, in yarises) are always making 40-80% more orders than some other drivers, so driving quickly isn't just a matter of seconds, but a matter of minutes which makes me gain maybe 1-2k$ extra at the end of the year. And I'm not more dangerous than anyone, I have never been close to have a responsible accident implying other cars, or at least not due to the non respect of the law. Driving fast = more focused, less distracted, less small accidents due to a lack of attention on the road.

And driving slow is boring, going fast and trying to make a way through the traffic is part of the game and the excitement, and that's whate make driving supportable. Otherwise, I'd hate driving and I'd rather take the bus (which I do when it's not much longer than car). The yaris is a great car to drive quick around town, it takes sharp turns and it makes U-turns so easilly.
You have got to be kidding me. Member why? never said what speed he was going in relation to the speed limit, nor what type of road he was talking about. If you are driving on a 2+ lanes in 1 direction street, and the slower person is not in the slow lane, then you are correct, the slower driver is being rude. If not, then you are dead wrong. When someone else is being rude, depending on the situation, it might be proper to NOT be a doormat or on the other hand it might be proper to ignore it. Someone else driving slow is an 'ignore situation' for anyone with a mature, adult attitude.

The rest of the world and other drivers aren't around to mold to the compensation structure of your company. If you are going to fast and a cop pulls you over, you will usually get a ticket. He/she is not going to care that your habits increase your pay.

"..driving slow is boring.....game and excitement.....otherwise I'd hate driving" - Immaturity, plain and simple.

Never been close to having an accident where you were responsible? - In your opinion. I wonder if other drivers who have shared the road with you would agree.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:44 PM   #59
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
Um... where to start?
Old 01-24-2013, 11:45 PM   #60
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
i don't even need to read the garbage, where did i say i don't let people pass? Where? Reading comprehension is good for you. Just pretend you have a brain in your head, and if you think really hard, you might actually turn it on.
Exactly.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:48 PM   #61
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
If you get followed, it's because you didn't let the people pass. Unless the guy following is really dumb and is staying behind you on a 2+ lanes road.
Again, you are assuming that on a one lane road, the person can always pull over. Why? didn't say what kind of road he was driving on.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:53 PM   #62
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
where on earth do you live? East timbucktoo? Do you drive on one lane roads that see 5-20 vehicles a week?

Or maybe you just got your license a few days ago and have zero idea of what you are talking about.

Here in real civilization people are jerks. They tailgate you and flash their lights at you on 4 lane highways. There is literally no road i drive on where passing is not easy, nowhere in my commute where i consistently go below the speed limit. I am always the slowest person on the road, and even when they can pass easily, people like you would rather be a jerk.

Now if you really are a child who just got your license, realize now there are people who will stop, get out of their car, and beat you to within an inch of your life if you tailgate them like you claim you do. And you have no idea which car they are in, what move they might make. I've seen people on highways choose to play demolition derby with cars because someone did something that pissed them off, you literally do not know which person you are driving near is ready to die, or who is in such a bad mood they would love to die by ramming your car.

Now someone who does what you do I slow down or stop. If they are in a bad mood they quickly get scared shitless when they see someone 6'2" and bigger than most football players step out of the vehicle, and they go around like they should. However there are people who carry guns in the vehicles. There are people in terrible moods who will grab tire irons and go after you with it. I saw a lady in a bmw stop, put her car in reverse, and smash into someone who pissed her off while she was driving ,she then got out of her car and started pounding on the other vehicle.

This isn't fantasyland, this isn't a playground. You are driving a weapon, with people around you driving weapons. It only takes one stupid error with one other person who is ready to die to change your life forever, if you are lucky enough to survive.
. Food for thought, Broody.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:54 PM   #63
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
I used to subscribe to "Pull off to the side of the road and let them pass" until some moron threw a coke bottle at my car when I did. It could have just as easily been a bullet. It is much safer if you keep rolling.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:56 PM   #64
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Traffic is just cars in line who can't move any faster than what's in front of them.
So I drive as if I'm the person behind me.

They want to make it through the green lights just as much as I do. In traffic, I act as their lead vehicle and help to keep them moving by not lagging. And if someone needs to change lanes, I'm there to help them get to where they think they need to be, because I enjoy being treated with the same courtesy. I regard the other cars in traffic as if we are all on the same team, and I keep a lookout for little opportunities to help things to flow smoothly.

It's amazing how nicely people respond when you're helpful.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:19 AM   #65
odg495

Drives: Yaris & Corolla
I'm far from religious, but I think this quote from the Dalai Lama is perfect for driving:

"Do not let the behaviour of others upset your inner peace"

I find that if I just let people do their thing, and not be intimidated by them, eventually they'll leave me alone.

Once upon a time, the Australian car market was 50% big sedans, so driving a little hatch was usually a dangerous move. These days, Aussies buy many more small cars so its not such a problem.
odg495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:33 AM   #66
nookandcrannycar

IF (a big hypothetical if) I really felt that I HAD to drive a fairly large vehicle in order to NOT get PUSHED AROUND around on the road and have my safety compromised (I don't currently feel this way), I'd probably drive an AWD Ford Flex.

Last edited by nookandcrannycar; 02-06-2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Oops, I meant the Flex, not the Edge
Old 09-26-2014, 10:18 PM   #67
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
When I lived in central Oregon there were lots of big pickups and SUV's but people rarely hassled me in my Yaris LB. Since moving to a majority Democrat community in Sonoma county the Right wing minority rednecks are really nasty about tailgating small cars and Priuses. They hate energy efficient vehicles with a passion and I get tailgated by gas guzzlers nearly every day. Mostly big American made SUV's and pickups but there is this one young guy who has a nicely kept Blazing Blue Yaris LB like mine who gets so close I have to pull off onto the shoulder every time. Could be he's got a super charger or a meth problem. There's lots of that here from what I've read in the paper. I'd have thought being this close to San Francisco people would be a bit more tolerant.

Last edited by birdman; 09-26-2014 at 10:29 PM.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:56 AM   #68
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
When I lived in central Oregon there were lots of big pickups and SUV's but people rarely hassled me in my Yaris LB. Since moving to a majority Democrat community in Sonoma county the Right wing minority rednecks are really nasty about tailgating small cars and Priuses. They hate energy efficient vehicles with a passion and I get tailgated by gas guzzlers nearly every day. Mostly big American made SUV's and pickups but there is this one young guy who has a nicely kept Blazing Blue Yaris LB like mine who gets so close I have to pull off onto the shoulder every time. Could be he's got a super charger or a meth problem. There's lots of that here from what I've read in the paper. I'd have thought being this close to San Francisco people would be a bit more tolerant.
Many liberals in San Francisco (and in other parts of the Bay Area) expect others to be tolerant of their non mainstream views (which is fine IMO), but sometime that isn't enough. They want others to go beyond that tolerance. They want agreement, or they label others as being full of hate . Good for you if you can be there and enjoy yourself. I'm a 5th Generation Bay Area native. When I moved here (to Montgomery County, TX), I planned to move back to the Bay Area after 5 years. Very soon after I moved here (I live in what some rank as the 3rd most conservative county in the U.S.), I realized I would never move back to California. I care more about what government entities are using my tax money for, policies, laws, the attitude of the citizenry, value for my dollar (re most things), and the attitude of government officials, more than I do about the weather. The people I don't understand are people who come here from California.....and then move back!
Washington has a tug on me, as well as Tennessee, Nevada, Florida, and Texas (I've spent time in every state except Alaska and Hawaii). I don't think I could live in any state other than those five.

A guy in a Ford F-250 pulled the same kind of c**p on me near Lodi, CA....passed me (almost hitting me) and then flipped me off as he was passing me. Doesn't usually happen that way here. The attitude is different re firearms . My cousin lives in Petaluma, CA. I'd love to see Mr. 'Blazing Blue' try to pull that kind of c**p on him. He's a retired Deputy Chief of Police (a major U.S, city) who came up through the narcotics division, an ex college level rugby player, and the son of a U.S. Marine who then spent 30 years as a fireman.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:40 AM   #69
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
You have a cell phone with a camera now. Take pictures, make it obvious you are taking pictures. They will stop, since nowadays that crap is actually criminal.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #70
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
You have a cell phone with a camera now. Take pictures, make it obvious you are taking pictures. They will stop, since nowadays that crap is actually criminal.
My reference happened in 2006 (my cell phone camera resolution at that time was either or non existent), but good point re birdman's situation .
Old 11-05-2014, 04:29 PM   #71
cwk8412

Drives: Yaris YRS 1.5L
People just under estimate Yaris just because they are made from Toyota. Plus the control on Yaris is really nice compare to other cars.
Also, Yaris can be turbo charged ;) (Turbo Charge Kit made by Blitz)
cwk8412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:45 AM   #72
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk8412 View Post
People just under estimate Yaris just because they are made from Toyota. Plus the control on Yaris is really nice compare to other cars.
Also, Yaris can be turbo charged ;) (Turbo Charge Kit made by Blitz)
From my experience with Blitz, having had one on my car, Blitz only makes a supercharger kit for the Yaris.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote