Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-19-2014, 03:31 PM   #1
chris80

Drives: toyota yaris
brake lights not working yaris 58 plate

My 2 lower brake lights have stopped working, the window one is still working.

Changed bulbs still nothing. Looked under dash at fuse box, on the front of the fuse box it says STOP but there is a line through this and no fuse present unless i am mistaken. Checked the fuse marked tail this one looks ok.

Any ideas on what else it could be or if i have done anything wrong in tge above step.
chris80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:14 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
It should be the STOP fuse. Looking at the European EWD there isn't a configuration where the stop fuse is not used.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:45 PM   #3
chris80

Drives: toyota yaris
Thumbs down

My mistake had another look today, it was the 1 above the STOP writing not below.

Checked fuse looked ok but i changed it anyway, still not working.
chris80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris80 View Post
My mistake had another look today, it was the 1 above the STOP writing not below.

Checked fuse looked ok but i changed it anyway, still not working.
OK. If the fuse is good and the 3rd brake light is working, then there should be power back there. If you have access to a multimeter, measure the voltage to ground at the bulb socket with the bulb removed. Also measure the resistance between the bulb socket's ground (the outer round area) and the chassis ground of the car.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:00 PM   #5
hotracer_05
Hmm, I see...

Drives: 2012 Toyota Tundra and Yaris
Sorry to revive this, but man I really with there was more in this thread. Im having the same issue (tail light brake lights not working, but 3rd brake light is). I was reading some general troubleshooting and it said the actual switch on the steering column might be bad. Anyone have any knowledge on all this?
Old 03-24-2018, 12:33 AM   #6
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotracer_05 View Post
Sorry to revive this, but man I really with there was more in this thread. Im having the same issue (tail light brake lights not working, but 3rd brake light is). I was reading some general troubleshooting and it said the actual switch on the steering column might be bad. Anyone have any knowledge on all this?
If your 3rd brake light is working but the lower ones aren't than it's not brake pedal switch. Best bet is to pull the bulbs that aren't working and check the power and ground wires with a test light. The multi meter method like CTScott suggested is another good method.
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote