Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-16-2011, 02:43 AM   #1
Benjiwake

Drives: Yaris
Yaris RPM/Tachometer

So i'm looking into getting a manual liftback yaris, similar to the one here

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/...d-b15a1519e31b

although it's a manual, the dashboard doesn't appear to have any sort of tachometer. Am i just missing something?
Benjiwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:51 AM   #2
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Yes you are, a tach.

Apparently some of the first yaris that came out did not come with tach. I do believe in 09 and up, they started coming standard. I got a 2010 and it does a tach. Yet, pretty much all the U.S. models 08 and before did not come with tachs. There is a DIY thread to installing a tach.
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I have an 09 manual hatch, sadly w/o the tach. There's not even a dummy light, so if you've never driven a stick, it may be troublesome to learn where the shift points are.

I've looked into an OEM replacement, but even with the help of the numerous threads here, I can't sort out which part number is the one with tach, MPH and ABS, but not traction control.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
I second the just add an aftermarket tach motion

it really isn't that hard and if you take a little time, it can look pretty good.

here is the thread I started when I wanted to add one to my car. maybe help you guys a long too. http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34360
Old 06-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I also added an aftermarket tach.

Life is sweeter with a tach-o-meter.
http://www.subcompactculture.com/200...h-o-meter.html
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #6
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
I have a 2010 and truthfully, never look at the tach when shifting....you should just "know" when to do it, shouldn't you? My last car had both a tach and dummy lights, too, and those dummy lights were annoying.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
BEEF

wow, that is the exact same tach that I have. I did mount it on the other side of the dash.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #8
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
I have a 2010 and truthfully, never look at the tach when shifting....you should just "know" when to do it, shouldn't you? My last car had both a tach and dummy lights, too, and those dummy lights were annoying.

I installed a tach, I don't use it to shift as much as I use it as a diagnostic tool.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
Well, yeah, you certainly do not need a tach to shift. No one is saying that
A tach is simply another gauge/indication of what an engine is doing.

If you don't care about your engine's RPM, don't ever look at your tach but, I would wager that you actually often do.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #10
Benjiwake

Making a manual car without a tach seems like a poor choice on Toyota's part, but that's just my opinion..
It would suck for me at first because I'll basically be learning to drive stick with this car, so until i master the shift points I'd be relying on the sound, like COM said. And I'm guessing a yaris engine isn't particularly loud.

But thanks for the replies, they're a lot of help.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:12 PM   #11
BEEF

if I were you (Benjiwake) I would just put a tach in it myself (and did) there is a really good DIY on here on how to do it and which wires to take from. the hardest thing about it is figuring out where to put the tach (personal preference)....well that and which tach to actually buy. there are literally thousands of choices.

good luck to you.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #12
tk1971

Drives: 08 2Dr LB Base, Silver
I got mine from Carmax, and it looks exactly the same as the car shown above... down to the poses of each picture.

Mine doesn't have a tach either.
tk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:54 AM   #13
Benjiwake

I'll probably do that BEEF, unless i end up getting a yaris that already has one. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 06-17-2011, 06:54 AM   #14
BEEF

they are fun little cars and I ended up getting mine from carmax too. didn't get a killer deal but I paid what it was worth. was in a bit of a pinch since all the crap in japan (earthquake and tsunami). was actually going to order one of the 5 door hatchbacks but the timeline was 4 months before the earthquake and afterwards they just stopped responding to my emails.

if you do use the DIY on here, check amazon for the "add-a-fuse" thing. I found mine for around $8 shipped. much cheaper than the others I have found. there really is only one wire that matters and that is the signal wire but it comes right off of your OBD2. if you go by the write up (on here in the DIY) make sure to read the entire thread as that wire color can be two different colors depending on the year of your car.

good luck on the purchase.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:07 AM   #15
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk1971 View Post
I got mine from Carmax, and it looks exactly the same as the car shown above... down to the poses of each picture.

Mine doesn't have a tach either.
Good color choice!
Of course what they call Silver is really what Toyota calls Meteorite Metallic, right?

I haven't installed my tach yet. There are a lot of things I need to get
installed during my upcoming vacation time.
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #16
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
Toyota got it right with the tachless 2007 Yaris . A Tachometer is a want not a need . The only diagnostic purpose it could serve would be if you had a manual trans and your clutch started slipping . Then the rpm's would increase while your speed would remain relatively unchanged . Speaking from experience , you should not have to worry about clutch slippage for at least 115,000 miles . My Yaris as 113,000 miles and no slippage yet .

A good guideline for shifting would be to shift every 10 mph . 1st to 2nd @ 10mph , 2nd to 3rd @ 20 . or use 15 mph intervals . You could also use 30 mph intervals like I do .
Old 06-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #17
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTM Yaris View Post
A good guideline for shifting would be to shift every 10 mph . 1st to 2nd @ 10mph , 2nd to 3rd @ 20 . or use 15 mph intervals . You could also use 30 mph intervals like I do .
Since my underdrive pulley install, my shift points have actually changed from the standard 30,60,90 to 35,65... etc. I still would like a tach, however. That being said, I can't stand the look of most tach installs because they just scream ricer so bad. I think my best bet would be an OEM gauge replacement, or one built into the dash where the left glove box is, but I hate to lose that storage space...

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:08 AM   #18
BEEF

I chose one with a black casing on it to kind of take away from the flare of it. basically so it doesn't stand out as much. I have seen people actually cut into their drivers glove box and mount it literally into the top. the angle would be strange though. you could then run the wires throug and leave some strain relief at the hinge and you could still use it. I would cover all the connections though so you don't short anything out.

realize that some cars are coming factory with tachs that stand out on them (the mini and the smart). I don't think it is as bad as it used to be. just don't go with the 5" tach with the huge shift light. there again, just my opinion