Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-13-2016, 03:44 PM   #1
xdarkxfirex

Drives: 2015 yaris le
Brake Fluid Level Drops Slowly

Is this normal? I replaced the Master Cylinder last year with a dorman, because I thought the OEM was bad from a low pedal. Didnt do much at all :( Pedal on these cars naturally feel spongy.

I also replaced the two rear wheel cylinders because of stripped threads when bleeding them. I notice my brake fluid level drops a bit like almost a cm every while. I think the reason being might be checking the level a lot and taking the basket out. I'm worried I might have a leak somewhere, but I cant find anything. I even checked the booster line and found nothing.

Is it something I should worry about? Usually when you have a leak, you have a large amount of fluid loss.

Last edited by xdarkxfirex; 03-14-2016 at 08:20 PM.
xdarkxfirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 04:20 PM   #2
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
How many km on your car ? One should not loose brake fluid unless you have leak like a broken brake line , as for pedal feel did you adj rear shoes also make sure your pins and pads are free up front . I find rear brake adj makes a huge difference with cars that have drum brakes .
How much pad material left and shoe ?
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 04:36 PM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
It should only got down in relation to pad/shoe wear which is minimal.

You likely have a slow drip type leak a long a break line. I had the same issue as you last year. Turns out one of my rear cylinder bleeder valves wasn't tight enough after I flushed my fluid. Was slowly leaking. I had to tighten it quite a bit more then I would've initially thought. Leaked stopped and no further problems.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:07 PM   #4
xdarkxfirex

I had one time where my fluid was leaking. I noticed it the day after bleeding my wheel cylinder. My master was half empty. The threads were stripped. Bought another raybestos wheel cylinder and it was fine. I put a dab of antiseize on the bleeder screws on the back to avoid that problem. Usually from what I learned, now I heat them to avoid that mess in the future. Bleeder screws like to break, and stick.

The movement is pretty minimal. I checked inside my drums, and pad wear. Front and back, they are good. Front is more worn, because I use the brakes alot harder. I replaced the front pads and rotors last year with ceramic pads. They still have most of the meat left. Maybe 30-40% worn. I took them off alot to put antisqueal on them.

I guess the only thing to do is monitor it, and see if it drops much again. The toyota MC is small. Coupled with the fact I removed the catch mesh plastic piece that comes with it to check, probably is another reason for it loosing fluid. I didnt notice any other place with fluid loss along the car.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:21 PM   #5
xdarkxfirex

Problem has been solved. The leak was from the Mastercylinder where it meets the booster. The seal at the back was loosing fluid. I'm sending it back to amazon and putting on my toyota OEM one again that still works fine
Old 03-14-2016, 09:24 PM   #6
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Wow, that's crappy. Thanks for updating the thread

Tags
brake fluid, brakes, lines, pads