Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-21-2007, 03:29 PM   #19
barryware

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Not to bash any Dealers (Stealers) but it makes me crazy.

Look in the maintenance section of the manual. There is nothing to be done except for an oil change. I am told because I have asked when I didn't see anything about changing the trans fluid in the maintenance schedule, that the trans oil never needs changing. (I'm still gonna change it at 50K (miles))

The rest is check... check... check... and maybe lubricate the door hinges. When you "check" the air filter, replace it if it is dirty.

I typically do my own maintenance. I do all the checking and fixing assuming it would be out of warranty and I have the proper tools.

It cost me 180 dollars once to get a 10 dollar bearing replaced on an A/C compressor pulley on my S10 because I didn't have the proper tool. I couldn't rent one or find one to borrow so I was stuck that time.

When I rotate the tires, I check the thickness of the brake linings and look at the suspension parts especially the rubber bushings and grommets.
When I am under the car wrestling with the oil filter and drain plug, I check the underside of the car for any signs of leaks.

Every wash, I check and top off all the fluids if needed (under the hood anyway cleaning).

I have never taken any one of my cars to a car wash and unless the dealer washes it by hand, I tell them not to wash it. The chemicals used are harsh and will take off some of the wax.

The wife drives an 05 CTS. The dealer wanted to charge me 300 bucks for its first service (oil change). On the wall at the dealer, they explain what they do for the 300 bucks but put a bit of a spin on it so you think you are getting a lot. You know.. a 100 point safety inspection. Check... Check... Check...

Speaking of washing.... The weather here in Chicago is warming up. Can't wait to hose off the Yaris.. I can hear it rusting in the garage.

Sorry about the rant... Like I said, there is pretty much nothing to do on a new car these days but change the oil & rotate the tires but the service departments keep wanting to charge to check.... check.... check....
barryware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:29 PM   #20
Razr
YRS WHOR

Drives: White 2007 Yaris E-Limited 5dr
I had my last Toyota for just under 2 years, in which time it had 4 services.. the first was free, two of them cost 1000 Baht ($28.50) all up, while one of them cost 1800 Baht ($51) as it included changing the carbon aircon filter - talk about expensive! Toyota genuine service BTW.

At those prices, I have no particular interest in getting my hands dirty or potentially creating a warranty problem! :)

Haven't had the Yaris long enough to put it in for servicing yet, but expect the same, seeing as the previous Toyota was also a 1NZ-FE job.
Razr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:19 AM   #21
nigel

Drives: yaris
in HK, first 2 service are free, then we need to go back for checking every half a year, they charge about $270 just for checking and cleaning your window
nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:49 PM   #22
sandiegan

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch
I am a little confused, and I just want to clarify something here. I got a Yaris for my fiancee and I am looking at the "Maintenance Log." I do all my car maintenance (going to the dealer is silly), but it looks like there isn't even any maintenance to do -- AT ALL. The maintenance schedule lists oil/filter changes, tire rotations, and the occasional air filter or interior filter change. Coolant at 100k, plugs at 120. We never have to change the transmission fluid? It seems like there are a lot of things missing on the "maintenance log" that I would consider normal routine maintenance...
sandiegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:31 AM   #23
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
we dont have a power steering pump ether lol its electric
Old 07-05-2007, 07:45 AM   #24
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
Thats the beauty of the Yaris, and one of the main reasons I bought the car. High dependability and low low maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegan View Post
I am a little confused, and I just want to clarify something here. I got a Yaris for my fiancee and I am looking at the "Maintenance Log." I do all my car maintenance (going to the dealer is silly), but it looks like there isn't even any maintenance to do -- AT ALL. The maintenance schedule lists oil/filter changes, tire rotations, and the occasional air filter or interior filter change. Coolant at 100k, plugs at 120. We never have to change the transmission fluid? It seems like there are a lot of things missing on the "maintenance log" that I would consider normal routine maintenance...
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:49 AM   #25
Farenheit

Drives: Yaris T3
Here in the UK a 1st service consists of an oil filter + oil change and a general once over and costs a WOPPING, wait for it £120!! (Approx $238)
Oh and on the 2nd service it includes a brake fluid check and antifreeze check, cabin filter check, air filter change. Also if THEY! decide that you need to change the brake fluid thats another £40! Again, the same applies to the antifreeze. Windscreen washer top-up, tyres etc.
A WOPPING £200 (approx $399) for a 2nd service!
Why is it that the europeans always get the raw deal??!

FH
Farenheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:01 AM   #26
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
Why is it that the europeans always get the raw deal??!
Every time I go back to Germany I wonder if I will ever be able to afford the next visit! I wanted to do Finland at some point, but who knows?
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote