Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Yaris TS Talk
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-22-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Turbo Project Yaris TS 1.8L

I've decided to start this thread here because the Forced Induction Section is filled with "Can I turbo the Yaris?" threads... And this would be of most interest for the 1.8L owners anyway.

The Project: Low boost turbo set up. (5psi-8psi) This is my DD after all and I want to keep it on the safe side. This will be a BUDGET build, but I won't cheap out on the critical parts.

I've been picking up random parts over the last few months and by now I probably have about 70% of the parts I will need.

The goal: 200Whp

My mind is not set yet in a lot things, that's why I'm starting this thread, to hear other members opinions and suggestions.

I would like to Thank TAMAGO, BAttleVersionTC and Caliyaris... all boosted members who have been pointing me on the right direction as this will be my first time doing something like this.

So far this is the plan:

Fuel: TC OE Injectors (370cc). I havent been able to find the cc rate of the OE injectors on the 1.8L engine but my guess is they should be around 270cc-300cc so it looks like the 370cc from the TC would be a good option.

Management: AEM FIC. I already have the ECU pin out for the Yaris TS and it happens to be 99% the same as the pin out on the 1.5 Yaris. The only difference is the extra camshaft sensor for the double VVT-i All the other locations are the same. I'm counting on the help from 2 other memembers who have installed a FIC on a Yaris.

Manifold: SS LOG Style with the turbo at the bottom. Similar placement as the TT manifold or the Revhard cast mani.

I already have the tees, elbows and turbo flange. I only need the engine flange and up to the solder. It looks like the flange pattern for the 2ZR engine is the same as the 1ZZ and JGS Precision offers a flange for the 1ZZ so I will try it.

Downpipe I have no idea. I believe 2.5" should do. I will have to see the final placement of the turbo to think about the DP. I know a guy who has an exhaust shop and is pretty handy.

The intercooler: As much as I would like to keep the routing as short as possible, it looks like the easiest and cheapest will be a regular FMIC. The TS has a nice lower grill that should provide very good air flow.
A regular FMIC will probably require more piping and the routing of the turbo to intercooler pipe over the engine. Ala greddy style. I find the pipe over the engine a little ugly, but would simplify things so....

The Pipes 2.25" diameter seems like a good compromise. Looking into some silicone hoses to use instead of some sections of the piping to make things easier.

The Turbo: Looking for usable power and nice torque figures. The Garret GT28RS "Disco Potato" is at the top of my list followed by a T3 super 60.
However initially I intend to use a GT25 that I have on hand. The idea would be to run it @5 psi to work out the bugs and the tuning. Once I got the car running smoothly the upgrade will come to a larger turbo.

Wastegate: The boost would be controlled by a Tiaal 38mm. The WG came with a 8psi spring. I need to get a 5psi for the initial set up.

Blowoff valve Any random unit should do the trick. I would like to have it re-circulated. For the sleeper factor

Gauges: AEM UEGO and random Boost Gauge. Perhaps oil/water temp.

So what do you think? Comments, questions?

Finally a pic of the future victim:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03 02 08 030.JPG (45.6 KB, 482 views)
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTREX View Post
... the Forced Induction Section is filled with "Can I turbo the Yaris?" threads...
yes, how many more times can we beat a dead horse? (but my favorite threads involve running "low boost, w/no engine management")

but the project sounds quite interesting, good luck to you!

Just curious but have you looked into water/methanol injection? Could definitely help in any forced induction application and be an extra layer of safety since you wanted this project to stay your DD, just a thought.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:36 PM   #3
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
yes, how many more times can we beat a dead horse? (but my favorite threads involve running "low boost, w/no engine management")

And yeah I have concidered a Meth Injection system... I know it works wonders! But we would have to wait and see how the tuning goes, AFR's, EGT's and such to determine if the Meth would help.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:33 AM   #4
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
should/if/when I get up to a dyno, I want to really see if the methanol is really helping out powerwise... but being in Florida its almost a must with a no intercooler set up
Old 07-23-2009, 01:19 AM   #5
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

In the case of the Blitz SC I doubt the meth would provide big power gains. If anything at all it would be because of the drop in the intake temps. The biggest benefit would be the prevention of detonation that other people has reported...

However, if you were able to properly tune (pull some timing and lean out the mixture) the car to make the most out of the METH... that would be another story!

Have you concidered ditch the blitz black box and install a FIC? or some other tuning system?
Old 07-23-2009, 01:27 AM   #6
andries
aka Jack Wolfskin

Drives: Yaris
Send a message via MSN to andries
Seems to be a very nice project.

But, somtimes I have problems to get te power of my "stock" 1.8 on bad or wet roads.
How wil it be with 200HP on the weels?
andries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:50 AM   #7
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andries View Post
Seems to be a very nice project.

But, somtimes I have problems to get te power of my "stock" 1.8 on bad or wet roads.
How wil it be with 200HP on the weels?
Getting traction on a wet road on any hi powered car would be dificult... is not like this is a Yaris problem...
But yeah, depending on how bad (read how fun) it gets a LSD would follow... Can't really tell how long would the oe clutch hold up the task neither... is all wait and see..
Old 07-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
I think ~180hp is more attainable as a DD for this setup; good luck, this looks to be interesting!
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:07 PM   #9
Zefoxe
¦µ¶Œ€♦åËÆ⌐š└╘○Å╝◙þ·▲

Drives: Scion xD
Send a message via AIM to Zefoxe
Do this with gusto Castrex :) I'm eagerly waiting for some results.

This is some info I received from Ian @ FSR:
Quote:
The stock intake manifold did not test well under boost. Up to 10 psi it was ok, past that, it was very stressed (you pressurize it and do a vibration test to see if there are any weak spots). Because our intention was to run very high boost eventually with a built engine, we wanted to take care of that restriction right away. Using helmholtz natural frequency tuning, we got the runner lengths just right to make for a really nice powerband that still had a large enough plenum to prevent cavitation at high RPM. With the short stroke of the motor, we were going to spin it high and wanted the intake/cams to match that. As you can see, we are dead nuts serious about real performance, no fluff!

We didn't modify the firewall. Because we custom built the turbo manifold to clear. We are also running a 3" downpipie and 38mm external wastegate for maximum performance and boost control. It all fits fine; fitting the turbo was the tight part.

All accessories are in tact and working like stock. The car as around 1000 miles on it with the turbo, to and from shows. It was a blast to drive and really woke up with the boost, but like I said, we only had two days with it, so no tuning was possible.

The battery was moved when we got it. We are only responsible for the turbo system and a few other small things, like good brakes and KW suspension.

If you have any other questions, let me know or you can call me at the shop.

Ian
Should hit him up for some more info

Coming 2010: Toyota iSt CK edition (CooperKiller) stay tuned
Zefoxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #10
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Good info! I will contact them when the time comes...

My car won't see more than 10psi anytime soon so the Intake Manifold is not a concern.

I wonder if they could duplicate the turbo manifold and downpipe...

Are there any pictures of their set up?
Old 07-24-2009, 12:33 PM   #11
Zefoxe
¦µ¶Œ€♦åËÆ⌐š└╘○Å╝◙þ·▲

Theyre thrown around somewhere on Scionlife, but that forums has been a you know what lately to navigate crashing all the time :\

Old 07-24-2009, 12:41 PM   #12
Zefoxe
¦µ¶Œ€♦åËÆ⌐š└╘○Å╝◙þ·▲

http://www.pasmag.com/index.php?opti...k=view&id=1133
google ftw

Old 07-27-2009, 05:12 PM   #13
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quick update, NON turbo related.

Some idiot going in reverse hit my car this moring on my works parking lot.

No big deal as he had insurance, but still is such a bummer... I take so much care of this car...

He gave a good scratch to the front bumper and broke the pasenger side headlight and foglight.

As my car is a TS and only a handfull of them out there, the dealer obviously does't have any body parts in stock. That means 4-5wks from Japan for the bumber and lights.

On the good side, once on the bodyshop I will finally get to paint and install a Seibon hood and the RS rear spoiler that I've had under my bed for months...
Old 07-27-2009, 10:55 PM   #14
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Some pics:

GT25R / Tial 38mm WG / SS manifold pieces

AEM FIC / 2AZ-FE Injectors (370cc)

TRD roller stopper (don't want the turbo banging the firewall, do I?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yaris Turbo parts 001.jpg (64.8 KB, 380 views)
File Type: jpg Yaris Turbo parts 002.jpg (34.3 KB, 373 views)
File Type: jpg Yaris Turbo parts 003.jpg (52.8 KB, 376 views)
Old 07-28-2009, 03:34 AM   #15
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
my my my, this is starting to get interesting

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:36 AM   #16
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

small update.

received the engine flange, and radius plate from JGS today. Also a new Bosch diverter valve...

The manifold is going to the welder next week and then I'm on the look for an exhaust shop who can make the downpipe...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TS turbo kit 003.jpg (127.0 KB, 308 views)
Old 08-14-2009, 03:57 AM   #17
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
arriba arriba!

Indeed a real Speedy Gonzalez you'll have there when you're done

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:11 AM   #18
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
PURA VIDA!!!!!!!!
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote