Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-03-2010, 01:15 PM   #199
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Video is up from our SSC Nissan Sentra.

Philip (SportsCar's editor) is racing the Sentra we built last season, and followed me around for a few laps during the warm-up session. He got a great view of the rear tires leaving ground, but was a little to far back to get a good shot with the camera.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SportsCa.../0/3P2RnB1de1Y

In-car from his race:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SportsCa.../1/_wBj1UFXSGE
Old 03-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #200
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
Race ready

Got wide tires?

how come no MICROIMAGE stickers are on that thing???
Old 03-03-2010, 07:34 PM   #201
Jason@SportsCar

Off to load the car up. Tomorrow it gets the aluminum flywheel and new clutch/pressure plate setup.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:43 PM   #202
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Didn't look like the rear end came up so much as the front end just DOVE. Maybe a little more compression damping (or spring rate) in the front is in order?

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:04 AM   #203
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
how does an aluminum flywheel fit into your class? I'm still so confused about what you can do and can't do.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:12 AM   #204
Loren
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
how does an aluminum flywheel fit into your class? I'm still so confused about what you can do and can't do.
Everything you ever wanted to know about SCCA Production class rules

Old 03-04-2010, 10:43 AM   #205
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Loren, I race in SCCA. I've read through the rules more than once. Why would I post the question if I could find it (easily) in the rulebook?

If Jason doesn't have time to answer, he won't answer, and that's fine. Seems to me, there has been plenty of helpful posting about keeping the car within the rules.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #206
Loren
What?

I looked at the link I posted and found the answer very quickly. Any flywheel the same size or larger than stock is permitted in HP. I don't understand your angst.

His flywheel will surely be within the rules for his class.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:39 AM   #207
Loren
What?

Upon further consideration, I think I see the problem. Garm, do you "race" with SCCA or do you "autocross" with SCCA? There's a big difference. Jason is building a "race car" in accordance with the SCCA "GCR" (General Competition Rules), which is the road racing rule book. I'm guessing what you've read is the SCCA Solo II rule book, which is a completely different animal and does not apply in any way to the car that Jason is building.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:07 PM   #208
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
i really like NASA's TT rules... its a points based system. I am going to do a few events in TT-F this year,
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #209
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Loren posted the applicable section, and as he inferred the Solo and Club Racing rules are typically different. Even more confusing in some cases due to the class acronyms being similar, but having different meanings - Solo P=Prepared, Club Racing P=Production.

However, in our case (HP limited prep, Level 2) our rule set is very similar to the GP Solo rules. Unfortunately the Solo Events Board elected not to allow the Yaris in GP, so we can not competitively race our car in HP trim in Solo - it goes to EP, where it is way under prepared, and way under powered.

In a nut shell:

Body - Car is gutted and has a minimum 6 point cage. On-board fire system, kill switch, race seat, 5-point harness, window net. Drivers and pass side windows must be removed. All other glass can be replaced with plastic, 1/8" for side and rear, 1/4" for windshield. Hood and hatch/trunk may be replaced with composite units. Bolt-on fenders may be replaced with composite ones. Uni-body (rear) fenders may be cut and flared, composite may be added. Crash support beams behind bumpers can be removed.

engine - Level 2 prep must keep stock throttle body and fuel injection (injectors, fuel pump and regulator can be replaced, you just cant change the TB or manifold) . We can do port matching, valve job, cams, compression bump with a limit set by SCCA (we still have not received our spec, but most every car can go +1 pt), over-bore, balance & blueprint. CAI, header, no emission, exhaust just needs to exit behind the driver and be under 103db @ 50'. Engine management is open.

trans - if we use a stock trans no issues, shifter is open, clutch/pressure plate and flywheel are mostly free (no carbon multidisc units). We can also change ratios and use dog engagement, but you get a weight penalty. Final drive is open. LSD is open.

brakes - must use OE front caliper. Front rotor can be changed to a two-piece (aluminum hat), but must be stock size, and can not cross-drilled or slotted. Rear may be converted to disc, but can not be larger than the front OE brakes, and the rear rotor must be a solid non-vented disc. Brake lines, pads and master cylinder are open.

Suspension Level 2 prep - Stock pick up points (you cant move the rear beam mounts like many Yaris owners like to do ), shocks are open, springs are open but must be in the OE location (this means no coil-overs in the rear, but you can use an adjustable perch fitted in the stock location). Swaybars are open. Bushings are open. Camber adjustment is open.

Wheels and tires - 15"x7" max wheel size for the Yaris, smaller is ok. Any tire that you can fit on the wheel, but the top of the tire must be covered by the bodywork.

Minimum weight for the Yaris in HP is 1900lbs (w/driver) using a stock trans.

There is more, but those are the basics.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #210
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kngrsll View Post
i really like NASA's TT rules... its a points based system. I am going to do a few events in TT-F this year,
The NASA system works well for the people who show up off the street with a car that is already setup. Take some time to look at the book and plan the build of a car from scratch, it will get expensive fast - especially if you take the time to test the various points combos to see which is the fastest.

With SCCA everyone in the same class gets the same mods. You can only spend so much.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #211
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Jason, thanks that is really clear.

Can you use TRD or solid engine mounts? Those work really well in my car.

Also consider the 23mm sway bar, it's +4mm over the TRD one.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:37 PM   #212
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Jason, thanks that is really clear.

Can you use TRD or solid engine mounts? Those work really well in my car.

Also consider the 23mm sway bar, it's +4mm over the TRD one.
Yes, we can change the engine and trans mounts. I should have had them done while the clutch was being changed and the trans was out. Oh well, we can do them when we pull the motor later in the season.

We put an adjustable bar on the rear.

What are you doing posting on here... You should be in Fontana. KJ just brought his STX RX-8 by the house for a tire change, he killed his tires in the AM session. Now he is all set for Sun.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:31 PM   #213
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

I should be out there, for sure! I'm going tomorrow.

The trans mount alone will make a very big difference and it's an easy bolt-on.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:31 PM   #214
Jason@SportsCar

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...071#post449071
Old 03-15-2010, 01:16 PM   #215
Jason@SportsCar

New hood installed this weekend, just a tick under 5lbs. I have not weighed the stock hood yet, so I don't know how much weight this saved.

Also replaced the wing windows with plastic.

edit: I just noticed how bad this makes the head light covers look now, I need to sand and paint them. :)

Last edited by Jason@SportsCar; 03-15-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Jason@SportsCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #216
Jason@SportsCar

Going to take the Yaris up to Thunderhill for the Double National this weekend.

Currently five entries in HP, and the group up there is plenty fast.

We would have liked to have gotten more done since the last race, but the car is a little lighter, and we have made some small suspension changes. Should be fun.

http://www.sfrscca.org/component/opt...999999/cid,22/