Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-30-2011, 07:22 PM   #919
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
It is my wish never to see that again. Your new clutch looks real nice.
Wish I could put it in... Ordered flywheel bolts from TRD on Dec 12th, five show up. On the 21st get an email saying the last one arrived and is shipping to me, should have had it on the 23rd - it never showed and they are closed for the holidays for about ten days.

Started calling dealers today, nearest flywheel bolt is in San Fran. So the car will live on jack stands for another few days over a single blot.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:09 AM   #920
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
What's special about TRD bolts? Aren't they all grade 10 bolts?
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:07 AM   #921
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
What's special about TRD bolts? Aren't they all grade 10 bolts?
Racer pricing from TRD.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #922
Jason@SportsCar

WOW, the OS Giken Super Single was a bugger to install... Usually most clutch's have enough play in the splines you can pretty easily stab the transmission and bolt everything up. The OS Giken is so tightly machined you had to have everything lined up dead on. Working by myself it took an hour to get the trans bolted up, normally this is a ten minute job. I was beat.

So far I have only driven it in and out of the driveway, so driving impression is very limited. Pedal effort is high and it grabs hard. Would be great for a FI car, but I am not sure I would use it on a daily driver. Hopefully I will get a better idea of what its really like next week.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #923
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ with a trailer.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #924
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
On our postage scale the works was 16lbs 13oz. I think that is 1lb more than my aluminum setup from SPEC, but this is a lot smaller in diameter, so the moment of inertia should be very similar.
Just weighed the OE assembly (pressure plate, clutch disc and flywheel) 26lbs 8oz - this was used but only 1000miles, you can still see the machine marks in the flywheel, so this should be an accurate weight of a new one.

That was a nice little drop.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #925
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

OS Giken is making a new diff with more plates for the Yaris.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #926
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
OS Giken is making a new diff with more plates for the Yaris.
I don't think we are even using full lock up now.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #927
upgradedyaris

Drives: Yaris & Supra
Quote:
WOW, the OS Giken Super Single was a bugger to install... Usually most clutch's have enough play in the splines you can pretty easily stab the transmission and bolt everything up. The OS Giken is so tightly machined you had to have everything lined up dead on. Working by myself it took an hour to get the trans bolted up, normally this is a ten minute job. I was beat.

So far I have only driven it in and out of the driveway, so driving impression is very limited. Pedal effort is high and it grabs hard. Would be great for a FI car, but I am not sure I would use it on a daily driver. Hopefully I will get a better idea of what its really like next week.
The OS Giken IMO has always been a grabby clutch. Tilton would have been a better choice although it is more spendy. It is very street friendly and has a super light/soft pedal.
upgradedyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #928
Jason@SportsCar

Got the new Hoosier radial slick to test out.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #929
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Just weighed the OE assembly (pressure plate, clutch disc and flywheel) 26lbs 8oz - this was used but only 1000miles, you can still see the machine marks in the flywheel, so this should be an accurate weight of a new one.

That was a nice little drop.
Could you through on just the clutch assembly with the bolts, if possible. Curious to see how much that heavy PP is.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #930
Jason@SportsCar

Just got back from Willow Springs, shaking down the 2012. Considering how little it done to it when compared to the 99 car, it was fast. Just needs a little more tweaking, but a great first outing.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #931
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Those tires...so much meat.

How do you think (so far) the car compares with the one you race?
Old 01-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #932
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Those tires...so much meat.

How do you think (so far) the car compares with the one you race?
The rear fenders on the 2012 don't like me so much anymore, I spent a lot of time with the fender roller making sure those things would fit - we did not want to flare this car.

So far I am impressed. The longer wheelbase makes the car much more stable, and it does not get away as quick when it does break loose. The car exceeded my expectations for the day, it was nearly a full second quicker than I expected it to be... Still not as quick as the 99, but so far we have been unable to get the AEM mated up to the new ECU. Once we get the parts equal on both cars it may have a slight edge due to the lower roof-line and more stable platform. However, I am doubtful I will get it as light as the 99 (which is down to 1800lbs), the lack of aftermarket body panels is going to make it hard to drop those last few lbs.

I sure do like the looks of it better than the old car.

Last edited by Jason@SportsCar; 01-11-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Jason@SportsCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #933
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
The rear fenders on the 2012 don't like me so much anymore, I spent a lot of time with the fender roller making sure those things would fit - we did not want to flare this car.

So far I am impressed. The longer wheelbase makes the car much more stable, and it does not get away as quick when it does break loose. The car exceeded my expectations for the day, it was nearly a full second quicker than I expected it to be... Still not as quick as the 99, but so far we have been unable to get the AEM mated up to the new ECU. Once we get the parts equal on both cars it may have a slight edge due to the lower roof-line and more stable platform. However, I am doubtful I will get it as light as the 99 (which is down to 1800lbs), the lack of aftermarket body panels is going to make it hard to drop those last few lbs.
Are you having issues with the AEM on the 2012 ECM, or have you just not had a chance to sort out the wiring differences yet?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #934
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Are you having issues with the AEM on the 2012 ECM, or have you just not had a chance to sort out the wiring differences yet?
We have had vendors looking for the plugs, so we could build an PNP like with did on the 99, but no luck. And so far we have not had a chance to try the hardwired method, we will likely start going down this road after the race next weekend. I hate to go hardwired because it is really nice being able to plug in the stock ECU if we had a problem, but we may not have a choice in this case.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #935
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
We have had vendors looking for the plugs, so we could build an PNP like with did on the 99, but no luck. And so far we have not had a chance to try the hardwired method, we will likely start going down this road after the race next weekend. I hate to go hardwired because it is really nice being able to plug in the stock ECU if we had a problem, but we may not have a choice in this case.
I think the new connectors are from Sumitomo. It would probably be easier to get an engine harness and ECM from Toyota to harvest a male and female set from.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #936
Jason@SportsCar

Just got the new head with Jun cams back from Loynings... Oh how I wish I had time to install it and retune the car before this weekends race.