Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
xb visitor

Drives: scion xb
clutch install & flywheel questions So Cal

Hello all, My 1st post here. Im a little all over the map, so please read and be patient..and let me know your feed back and any local shops that are reasonable. I have a scion XB, Im posting here for advice as 99.9% of the scion sites are riddled with kids who only care about lowering their cars to the ground ,and no function whatsoever regarding much anything

Im in urgent need of a clutch assembly and have researched this quite extensively. Id like to supply the flywheel l"lightweight version" and a clutch,nothing fancy just a cheap stage 1 slightly stronger than stock should be fine. the stock clutch has slipped on my car since it had 45,000 miles on it,it now has 130,000....think I got my moneys worth But its gone...gone...gone.. now. I drive the thing 200 miles a day now.

Im looking for a ballpark figure of what it might cost me, does anyone know of a shop in the Los Angeles area. I might do a main seal while I am at it as I appear to have oil seepage..so I think that might be the culprit??

I do have some questions regarding the flywheel, Im interested as it looks realistically like the single only performance that can be done,tht actually is worth the time and effort. headers...not for me sacrifices too much 0-60 speed, crank pully, I don't trust it on a high mileage ,daily driver,I think the motor requires the added balance for longevity into the deep 100,000 mile marks,cold air intake...no gains just cool induction noise . It worked on our matrix xrs..but the lil scion/yaris motor cant do anything with the xtra air cat back exhaust same thing I have that..it does absolutely nothing Both pcs were 2004 INJEN parts I also think keeping the stock dia piping is crucial for acceleration..thats where its at with these cars 0-60 after that it doesn't really matter theres just no power to be had ..legally. Its Calif...nothing much you can do..so flywheel it is I guess. My sister had a Prius..and it will blow the doors off the Scion no matter what I did ..legally...that's kinda embarassing

1.) I sometimes tow a very small motorcycle trailer,do you think it would handle it?
2.) Do they chatter, or make noise?
3.) Is the initial acceleration lost due to ,lack of inertia? The car needs to jump as fast as possible when hammered out of a corner or a stop...autocross style. I dont care about 60-80..as theres no steam there anyways to be had.

Why..Who knows..its a fun do everything car...handles utterly fantastic, even better than my old Datsun 510 or 914..WAY BETTER! gets 35-39 mpg, can do 120 down hill And I can carry just as much cargo as a ford explorer! For me it was a 1/2 price Mini Cooper..Unfortunately 1/2 the power I originally bought it on the idea that at the L.A. auto show TOYOTA said they were going to offer a turbo or supercharger kit and it would be 50 state legal...well as we know they never did

Thanks guys
xb visitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #2
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Hey xb,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry that I don't know anything about clutches as I've never had mine apart, but I noticed that you mentioned your Datsun 510. I also had one of those and loved driving it.

There are others here who know a lot about clutches and will be able to help you.

Greg
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:44 AM   #3
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Lightweight flywheels help acceleration slightly (more noticeable in 1st and 2nd than the higher gears), no extra noise. You just need to give it slightly more gas when slipping the clutch because you don't have the same inertia as before, but you'll get used to it in a day and you'll accelerate harder for it.
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
1.) I sometimes tow a very small motorcycle trailer,do you think it would handle it?
2.) Do they chatter, or make noise?
3.) Is the initial acceleration lost due to ,lack of inertia? The car needs to jump as fast as possible when hammered out of a corner or a stop...autocross style.
1. Clutchmasters Stage 1 will handle your extra load, last forever and have a very stock pedal feel.
2. No chattering with that and they make a matching Clutchmasters flywheel to go with it. I also stock CCI flywheels which are very light and very strong (steel vs aluminum).
3. Acceleration is where you'll feel the flywheel most. It's weakest point is cruising -- you will lose some overall mpg for sure.

Happy to recommend a shop based on your particular location, and I hope we can earn your business for the clutch and/or flywheel.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote