Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-19-2008, 11:45 PM   #1
baked_limabeans

Drives: Polar White
AutoX Novice

Been wanting to go to an autocross for a while and guess what!! I just went today!!!

Me and two of my friends went. Yaris (mine), a GTO, and an Impreza RS2.5. The Impreza has been autocrossing for quite a while. It was pretty exciting. Not many cars came out so we got to do 6 runs. 2 heats of 3 runs.

They stuck me in STS classing. I have an intake, lowering springs, and NST crank pulley (FTW). The Impreza is also in STS.

The course was pretty fast. Fastest time was 55.XX s. Time sheets aren't up as of yet. My fastest time was 67.XX s. I believe there were 25 participants.

There were 5 novices including me and the GTO. I got in second place among the novices.

Sorry but no pictures were taken. Since there wasn't that many people at the event, the staff was short handed and we volunteered to help. We weren't able to take any pictures while at our posts.

EDIT: They just posted the results.
Link:http://www.shreve.net/rrr-scca/ (go to results, in "jeff's i hate you event")

Last edited by baked_limabeans; 10-20-2008 at 12:02 AM.
baked_limabeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:53 PM   #2
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Congratulations! What was your overall impression? How do you like the way your Yaris performed? I did my first one last Sunday and am looking for next month's.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:00 AM   #3
baked_limabeans

I thought car did great.
very nimble. I didn't notice excessive body roll, though i do have TEIN S. Techs.
I have to say i seriously need better tires though.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:08 AM   #4
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Well, I was told by more experienced drivers on here that it's not the tires that are needed. It's more practice that is needed.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:17 AM   #5
baked_limabeans

Yea. most definitely that also.

but i do need new tires though. One of my tires blew out sometime ago and i had to get a quick "whatever will work" tire. and that tire is definitely holding me back.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:11 AM   #6
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Drives: Jojo
Glad to hear you had alot of fun!

when the tires squeel, you know you're pushing it too hard, but it's always fun to push the car hard!!
Western Canada Rally Association
Ecurie (Team) Snoopy Canada, racing since 1966
mojoyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:33 AM   #7
markitect

Drives: Yaris
Welcome to the club. Practice is the best thing you can do, and there is a sang: "Slow down to go faster." It really is true, if you pay attention to the really good drivers there is just a really soft squealing that you can barely here over their engine. I get excited and end up plowing around corners, which is not good for your time.

Glad you enjoyed it! I'm jealous of everyone that still has season left. Yesterday I was working the course in lovely 43 degree weather for the last race of our season.
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:06 PM   #8
baked_limabeans

Yea. That's the saying alright. Like you, I was also plowing through the corners but after my 2nd run I understood the saying. but even as I tried to slow down my front right tire (the non-matching replacement no-name brand tire) was past its low limit and any left turn I made, my car was sliding.

but even so, it was a blast and the next time i go i know a little better.