Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
Crashingtehwarehouse

Drives: '07 Yaris 3D
Console/Radio Illumination

Hi all,

I just purchased an '07 Yaris 3 Door Automatic and find it odd that I can't see any of the console buttons and knobs at night. I've tried messing with the brightness wheel next to the steering column, but nothing. And the only thing that lights up on my radio is the display.

I took it back to the dealership today, and my salesman said that's normal. Is it? Because it certainly seems to be annoying.
Crashingtehwarehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
That's not normal. Usually people with this issue do as you did and turn up the dimmer wheel. If that's not doing it for you then I'd say something is wrong.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
Crashingtehwarehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
That's not normal. Usually people with this issue do as you did and turn up the dimmer wheel. If that's not doing it for you then I'd say something is wrong.
Yeah, I think it's weird too. I've had a lot of cars before, and none of them were completely dark like this one. Sad
Old 03-14-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
bizzlebaby

Drives: 4 Dr 07 Sedan
there is a setting on the dimmer wheel that will turn all the lights down... perhaps yours is set to that position... try turning it forcefully downwards... i know sometimes at night i purposely drive with my dash and console lights off
bizzlebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If it's not the dimmer rheostat position, check the MET and GAUGE fuses in the under dash fuse panel (literally under the bottom of the dash, by the hood release lever). The prior owner may have had an aftermarket radio installed and popped one of the illumination related fuses when deinstalling it.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
Crashingtehwarehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzlebaby View Post
there is a setting on the dimmer wheel that will turn all the lights down... perhaps yours is set to that position... try turning it forcefully downwards... i know sometimes at night i purposely drive with my dash and console lights off
Nope, that was the first thing I tried. The dimmer rheostat does absolutely nothing. It's like it's been disconnected or something.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #7
Crashingtehwarehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
If it's not the dimmer rheostat position, check the MET and GAUGE fuses in the under dash fuse panel (literally under the bottom of the dash, by the hood release lever). The prior owner may have had an aftermarket radio installed and popped one of the illumination related fuses when deinstalling it.
You mean popped as in it's not seated properly or popped as it the fuse is blown? And how will I know which fuse is which?

Thanks
Old 03-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
You sure you have the lights turned on, and arn't just driving around on the daytime lights? That's what I did the first 200 miles when I picked up my '08! I too was puzzeled by the lack of lighted dash controls.... until I figured that they go on just fine when you turn the headlights on!

BTW, when driving at night using just the daytime lioghts, you have NO taillights, that seems like a bad idea.
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:07 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashingtehwarehouse View Post
You mean popped as in it's not seated properly or popped as it the fuse is blown? And how will I know which fuse is which?

Thanks
Popped as in blown. The fuse cover has a diagram on it that shows which fuse is which.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:03 PM   #10
Yaris

Drives: 2010 LB Meteor Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashingtehwarehouse View Post
I took it back to the dealership today, and my salesman said that's normal.
So take it to the Service dept.
Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:33 AM   #11
Crashingtehwarehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahotom View Post
You sure you have the lights turned on, and arn't just driving around on the daytime lights? That's what I did the first 200 miles when I picked up my '08! I too was puzzeled by the lack of lighted dash controls.... until I figured that they go on just fine when you turn the headlights on!

BTW, when driving at night using just the daytime lioghts, you have NO taillights, that seems like a bad idea.
I've been meaning to come back and say, you were right. I had no idea, for the longest time that I had to actually turn on the lights. I've never had a car that I had to do that with, so never thought to try it.

Thanks!