Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-08-2006, 05:54 AM   #37
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
Cool.

We are waiting for the pics and the DIY!
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:08 PM   #38
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Vinyl came in today, and I've got the day off. WOOT! Another cool thing... rvinyl.com offers money off a second order in exchange for high-res pics of your install. A date with my buddy's 8 megapixel digicam is in order... I'll be using the discount for more vinyl for the headlights and a vinyl YW.com decal.

I'll post the DIY in the approprate forum later on.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:29 PM   #39
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
you ordered the "vinyl roll" right, not the kit?

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:31 PM   #40
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
You could always let me use the discount for some tails....... buddy.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:14 PM   #41
ChinoCharles
Banned

Yes, I ordered two rolls of vinyl. Nothing special. The tail lights and side markers get smoked tonight... I just got back from getting everything I would need. Drop cloth, gloves, isopropyl alcohol, etc...

Chris, I'll let you know when I am going to order more vinyl for the headlights. I'm going to see if they will come WAY down if I put an rvinyl.com decal on the Yar.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:30 PM   #42
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles

Chris, I'll let you know when I am going to order more vinyl for the headlights. I'm going to see if they will come WAY down if I put an rvinyl.com decal on the Yar.
Lemme know, as I have been putting this off WAY too long already... it not, ill just drop them to the painter.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:32 PM   #43
ChinoCharles
Banned

Oh god don't do that... just be patient. Who would want painted lights?

I'm just kidding fellas, don't get all defensive now...
Old 11-13-2006, 06:34 PM   #44
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles
Oh god don't do that... just be patient. Who would want painted lights?

I'm just kidding fellas, don't get all defensive now...
Well these would be done correctly the firs time.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:24 PM   #45
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
well post those pictures as soon as you can, im interested in how it looks.
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:05 PM   #46
ChinoCharles
Banned

Halfway through right now... tails and side markers are drying off from their alcohol bath. Soon, soon.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:15 PM   #47
KSIbucky

Drives: 2007 Yaris manual dark silver
Send a message via AIM to KSIbucky Send a message via MSN to KSIbucky
here some i saw
Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitled.bmp (275.3 KB, 380 views)
Blitz exhaust
Megan Lowering Springs
(Next is DC Header)
KSIbucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:48 AM   #48
ChinoCharles
Banned

Oh, what a night!

OK, I'll begin by saying that this is the first mod I have attempted to do myself on this car... any car really for that matter. I took the dash off an Eclipse once, but other than that I'm not much of a DIY-er.

Having said that, I was REALLY geared up to get these lights smoked. I love the look, and I was excited to get there. Now that the entire situation is over, I can tell you three things.

1) There are lines and bubbles everywhere in my tail lights right now
2) I now know without a doubt how to do this perfectly
3) I only made one mistake

The one mistake was that I didn't bring a friend, because flat out, those tail lights are too angular to do this yourself. You need to stretch this film a whole bunch to get it over that big ridge on the tail light without any imperfections. In order to stretch it, you need to apply constant high heat. I found that 2-5 second intervals of heat from a run-of-the-mill hair dryer at about 6 inches was perfect. Ideally, you want to heat, stretch, squeegie, spray, heat, stretch, squeegie... etc. Throw taking pictures for a DIY in there and this is officially a two man job. Rvinyl didn't suggest the heating or the spraying of the adhesive surface either, those are just tricks I figured out through a little trial and a little more error. That being said, I'll at least give you guys what I have so far...

Excuse the poor quality images, camera phone...

1.jpg
Stuff I used
2 2' x 1' rolls universal vinyl, 20%
Graphics squeegie
Blow dryer
LED flashlight (night install)
Spray bottle
10mm ratchet
Plastic drop cloth
Exacto knife
Gloves
70% isopropyl alcohol

MISTAKE:Using a plastic drop cloth for sticky vinyl was the stupidest idea ever... it was a nightmare any time the vinyl touched the surface.

Our first suspect, the side markers.
2.jpg

Drivers side, with your fingertips toward the rear of the car, slide the entire piece toward the front of the car.
3.jpg

While holding the marker forward, pull from the back and the clip should clear the skin. Then just pull her out.
4.jpg

See that tab just below the wires?
5.jpg

Push it and remove the harness.
6.jpg

Next, tail lights. Start by removing the two vented panels in the rear. Just wedge the tip of a knife or a flathead screwdriver into the slot on the top of the panels and a little leverage will have them loose in no time. (Images of right tail light)
7.jpg

This shot is looking up behind that panel into the rear of the tail light housing. You'll see two bolts on your left. They're 10mm. Remove those.
8.jpg

Once those are off, the light will come out. They're stubborn though, so be a little careful. I had a lot more luck pushing them out from inside the trunk than I did pulling them out from the rear.

Once you have them out, remove the silver plastic panel on the back that has the parking/turn signal light in it. It just pulls off. The brake light bulb in the back screws to the left a quarter turn and pulls out as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (8.6 KB, 349 views)
Old 11-14-2006, 02:02 AM   #49
ChinoCharles
Banned

In a spray bottle, mix two parts water to one part alcohol. Spray the lights... I mean douse them. Drown them. I sprayed the lights and wiped them clean with a lint-free microfiber towel probably a dozen times. You don't want any oils or dirt on the lights. It won't allow the vinyl to adhere. This is the same reason why you should use gloves.
12.jpg
13.jpg

OK, no pictures from here because, well, my hands were tied. Basically I spent 15 minutes trying to squeegie bubbles out of the tail lights. It wasn't happening... paralleling my original fears, the vinyl wouldn't bend over that huge ridge in the tail light without making a ton of bubbles. I tried a little heat (dryer on low) to no avail. Finally, I said screw it... at that point I was convinced this was going to be a total loss if not a good learning experience. I cranked the hair dryer to high and started stretching and was finally having some luck. The second light I did came out close to perfect. The side markers are perfect. The first light is a wreck, and even the second light has some bubbles, but again, it was a learning experience at this point.

The proper way to do this would be to have someone standing over you applying high heat to the vinyl at sporadic intervals. In the few seconds after the vinyl is heated, it is extremely flexible and can be formed to anything. A quick stretch with two hands, hit it with the squeegie and you're good to move on. A couple other imperitives are to spray both the adhesive side of the vinyl and the tail light liberally with your alcohol/water mix often and to NOT work from the center out as you may be tempted to do right off the bat.

So for now, I roll around with my less-than-perfect install until payday on Thursday when I can order some more vinyl and try again. The nice thing is the vinyl was only 20 bucks, so it isn't like I broke the bank learning the hard way. The next install will be perfect. I'll be doing it next Monday, at which point I will post it as a DIY. For now its just a LITHWY (learn it the hard way yourself).

Here are some night preview shots of what it will look like. Since it was in pisspoor lighting and done on a low-res camera, you wouldn't know I screwed up. Haha.
14.jpg
15.jpg
Old 11-14-2006, 03:12 AM   #50
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ya ya i like, since i cant see it very well. Tomrrow i expect some daylight high-res pics!! :)

Very nice tutorial, though i might make one for those who want to smoke spray them.....and steal some of your pics :P
Old 11-14-2006, 08:12 AM   #51
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Booooooooo.... We need better pics then that!!!
Old 11-14-2006, 08:17 AM   #52
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush

the pics do make me wanna

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:36 AM   #53
ChinoCharles
Banned

Its morning. I'm tired, frustrated, pissed. Sorry for the shit pictures, the botched job... ugh.

118832635_383500453_0.jpg

There they are. Looks great from afar, up close it makes me laugh. I'm ordering more vinyl and a real digital camera today. I'll do this right by Monday next week.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:42 AM   #54
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

That looks HOTT!

........ from a far.