Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-11-2009, 09:57 PM   #1
cfiimei

Drives: Sedan
Just installed Rostra cruise... My experience

08 Sedan (auto)
Cruise control purchased for $200 from Sparks Toyota

First of all, while the instructions are helpful, they are NOT very clear. Some of the connectors in my kit did not match what the instructions said should be included, and after all was said and done, some were left over.

The instructions shipped with my kit were not complete, so I downloaded a more current set of instructions from Rostra. Print two copies of the instructions - you will need them. The illustrations are nowhere near the discriptions in the instructions, and it is easier if you have another set look at while reading the steps. The instructions assume everyone knows how to use the various kinds of connectors; if you don't, you can google that information.

The steering column cover is removed by turning the wheel 90 degrees one way, removing a screw, then turning the wheel the other way to get the other one. There is one more screw to remove on the underside of the cover. The kick cover below the column is easy to remove; there are a couple of plastic latches, and it then swings down to expose two screws.

I did not route the transmission wire through the fender; instead I cut a small slit in the rubber wire harness boot up under the dash. I then taped the end of the transmission wire to a straightened coat hanger and carefully fed it through the slit; it was easily found in the engine compartment.

There is very little wire to work with on the main bus, and they are pretty tight and hard to get to, and even harder to pinch a t-connector to... take your time.

It would help to remove the front seat, but I just opened the door and wrenched myself around as necessary.

The plug that you have to feed wires into (off of the stalk) is a bit confusing. The plug that it attaches to has more wires than the one you have to feed wires into, and that does not seem right... but it works. Just put the wires where the color coded tape is - they will not match the wires of the other side of the plug, and that is ok. Oh, don't forget to drill the hole in the steering column cover (which should be removed from the vehicle) and feed the wire through BEFORE attaching the plug end to the loose wires.

Test the thing before you wire-tie all the wires out of the way.

In operation, this cruise works better than any other I have used.
cfiimei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:10 PM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
In operation, this cruise works better than any other I have used.
Well, we've got that going for us. Thanks for the writeup!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
cfiimei

Charles - This may not be the place, but dude, great tunes on your music page! I'm an acoustic junkie...
Old 01-12-2009, 12:59 AM   #4
ChinoCharles
Banned

Aw, thanks man. Do you play?

(This is your thread, we can go off topic haha)
Old 01-12-2009, 08:39 PM   #5
cfiimei

I build better than I play, and my instruments are not mainstream. I've built hammered dulcimers, dulcimers, ukuleles, and "strumstick" type instruments. For what it's worth, here I am trying out an electric uke I built:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhGu8JKcj9k

Examples of what I have built can be seen below:

I can't hold a candle to your playing, but I sure do enjoy it!
Old 01-12-2009, 09:43 PM   #6
ChinoCharles
Banned

Oh my GOD man, that is amazing! You are quite a luthier! If I hit the lotto, you're one of the first people I am calling. Very impressive.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:03 AM   #7
cfiimei

I appreciate that... I'd trade them all to be able to play like you can. I've searched, but I can't seem to find the elusive crossroads that Bob found all those years ago...
Old 01-13-2009, 12:09 AM   #8
kou

Drives: 08 lb
amazing handy work.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote