Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-26-2006, 10:09 PM   #1
BLKYRSSDN

Drives: Black Yaris Sedan 07
Keyless Entry

I am looking to get keyless entry on my 07 Yaris Sedan, I have power locks, and I contacted the dealer today, and they said it would be $600 for parts and install + tax, plus it would take awhile to get the parts in. Has anyone had keyless entry installed in their Yaris, and at what price?
Thanks
BLKYRSSDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:26 PM   #2
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
Yikes!!!!! I have seen some keyless entry sets for $99. I know Best Buy and Circuit City carry them. I would call them up for a price. Hell for $600 U can get a Viper alarm, remote start, keyless entry, and a date with my mom...
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 12:52 AM   #3
Bones

Drives: 07 Yaris S Type
That's expensive! Do you work on your car? It's two wires for the doorlocks and three, maybe four for the keyless module and they are all on the driver side. It'll take about an hour.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:01 PM   #4
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvryaris
Yikes!!!!! I have seen some keyless entry sets for $99. I know Best Buy and Circuit City carry them. I would call them up for a price. Hell for $600 U can get a Viper alarm, remote start, keyless entry, and a date with my mom...

date with your mom....that was funny...anyway, I called a local place and they suggested the car starter route cause they called to a dealership for me to see their price and it was insane even as a dealer/auth installer themselves.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:05 PM   #5
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
Hey man her ya go keyless and alarm and everything for $299. I had Circuit City install some stuff in my G6 and they did a killer job. Might want to look into something like this.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Pytho...oductDetail.do
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:16 PM   #6
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Just as a heads up on antitheft....I had the glass etching done on my windows. They say this provides the capability tohave the car tracked cause the car jacker would have to remove the windows, windshield, and rear window. I got it at the Dealership...was 200 bones.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:38 AM   #7
Ran Kizama
That Anime Guy

Drives: 5-Speed Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Ran Kizama Send a message via MSN to Ran Kizama
Question: Can you do the keyless door entry remote if you don't have power locks?
Old 07-06-2006, 12:15 PM   #8
apriljoy
meow

Drives: Yaris Sedan, Black Sand Pearl
DIY VIN Etching

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv
Just as a heads up on antitheft....I had the glass etching done on my windows. They say this provides the capability tohave the car tracked cause the car jacker would have to remove the windows, windshield, and rear window. I got it at the Dealership...was 200 bones.
There's also this product if you want to do it yourself. An FYI for anyone who doesn't already have it done.

http://www.vinetcher.com/index.htm
apriljoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:37 AM   #9
xenoxaos

Drives: '07 Yaris S Sedan
Although, watch out for alarm systems and such. My last car had a Pursuit in it with the ignition cutoff for the antitheft thing, it also had keyless locks, remote start. It was installed aftermarket before I got it. It was a self install by the guy i bought it from. One thing I found out later is that some alarm systems can seriously screw up your car in the long run. What it did was it had a relay that would turn off the ignition when it was activated. Problem is, relays are mechanical and suffer from the vibrations while driving. The vibrations would essentially turn the engine off for a short period of time. The gas that was in the cylinder would be sent out the exhaust. And then it fried my catalytic converter, and then messed all kinds of stuff up in the engine. But hey, all these problems got me a new Yaris. So it's not ALL bad, just mostly.

all in all, get an alarm system, remote start, keyless installed, but if you can, try to go solid state(no relays) or get it done by someone that KNOWS what they're doing!
xenoxaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 01:50 AM   #10
Bones

Drives: 07 Yaris S Type
Ignition cutoffs are not used anymore. This is not recommended!

Only the starter (wire) cutoff or kill is used. If the relay fails, it would not affect the car while it's being driven. The relay stays in the normally closed position, if the alarm looses power or damaged the car can still start. The only time the relay will activated, when the alarm is triggered and the ignition is turned on. The starter kill relay is rarely activated which prolongs life.

90% of new alarms with starter kill uses relays. There are several relays used by Toyota in your Yaris fuse box. If the relay is use properly, they last for a long time. Relays are considered to be reliable.

An alarm system should be installed professionally.

A keyless entry is very basic, especially on a Toyota with power door locks. Most of the wires necessary for Keyless entry is already fused and protected. A person with basic knowledge of automobiles and knows how to use a meter should be able to install keyless entry safely.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 05:18 AM   #11
bulldogs2k

Drives: '00 s2000, 2007 yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran Kizama
Question: Can you do the keyless door entry remote if you don't have power locks?

I dont think so but i could be wrong.
bulldogs2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 10:57 AM   #12
Chaad32

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogs2k
I dont think so but i could be wrong.

No...I asked and my dealership and they said it was imposible because the keyless entry uses the power door lock actuator to open the locking mechanism. But the can add power locks so it will work.
Floor mats, Weathertech vent visors
Chaad32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:23 PM   #13
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaad32
No...I asked and my dealership and they said it was imposible because the keyless entry uses the power door lock actuator to open the locking mechanism. But the can add power locks so it will work.
did you get a price on adding power locks??? i'm very interested in JUST that option..power mirrors and windows aren't a big deal..but having to stick the key in the door everytime gets messy and annoying..
Old 07-24-2006, 09:51 AM   #14
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_Yaris
but having to stick the key in the door everytime gets messy and annoying..
I agree, you need to be careful not to scratch the paint!
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:23 PM   #15
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB
I agree, you need to be careful not to scratch the paint!
yup! when I was on Spyderchat.com, I saw these keyhole plugs that you use if you primarily use Remote Entry. They were OEM color matched, and fit VERY snug into the keyhole, giving a shaved appearance (well, next to the handle, anyway). They were only about $10 a set, too....I use to rock them on a black Lexus GS300..they definitely helped the look on an all-black car
Too bad i don't have Power Locks
Old 07-24-2006, 06:32 PM   #16
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_Yaris
yup! when I was on Spyderchat.com, I saw these keyhole plugs that you use if you primarily use Remote Entry. They were OEM color matched, and fit VERY snug into the keyhole, giving a shaved appearance (well, next to the handle, anyway). They were only about $10 a set, too....I use to rock them on a black Lexus GS300..they definitely helped the look on an all-black car
Too bad i don't have Power Locks
On the BMW's, we would take a lock cylinder delete, found on right hand drive 3-series (e46), and install it on our driver side handles.

No more key hole.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:05 PM   #17
eight_heads

Drives: '07 Yaris Liftback
yeah, anyone know what actuators from toyota cost?

'07 Yaris Liftback
-Red 5spd w/convenience
eight_heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:07 PM   #18
amishpriest

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaad32
Which dealership, if you don't mind my asking?
amishpriest is offline   Reply With Quote