Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #1
2007yariz

Drives: Yaris sedan
Question Does this sound right?

Alright, so we know that the car accelerates faster downhill. Even faster depending on the degree of the hill.

I like to hold the gas pedal( just regular pressure) downhill and by the time i am close the the top, i will only need to gas a little bit, since the speed i gained downhill pushed me up.

I tried to let off gas when going downhill, but i gained speed slowly, and the engine had to work hard from bottom of the hill, as a result the RPMs will be high.

So if i speed up down hill( the engine doesn't have to work that hard since gravity helps it gain speed with low RPMs.

So low RPMs=Higher MPG (car doesn't have to work hard climbing a hill)

What do you think?
2007yariz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
jhsouders
With the help of SGII

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan Manual
You're on the right track, I generally like to be in neutral down a hill unless its steep enough to DFCO. Once i get close to the bottom is when i give it some gas to speed up to whatever speed i want to go up the hill. The trick for mpg up a hill is to stay at a constant speed or even slightly decelerate (5mph max) to the top.

Once you're going up the hill, generally top gear will be best, unless it cant maintain the speed you want (and i mean with 50 TPS or less), then downshift.

Does this help?

Last edited by jhsouders; 03-16-2012 at 05:16 PM.
jhsouders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:57 AM   #3
2007yariz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsouders View Post
You're on the right track, I generally like to be in neutral down a hill unless its steep enough to DFCO. Once i get close to the bottom is when i give it some gas to speed up to whatever speed i want to go up the hill. The trick for mpg up a hill is to stay at a constant speed or even slightly decelerate (5mph max) to the top.

Once you're going up the hill, generally top gear will be best, unless it cant the speed you want (and i mean with 50 TPS or less), then downshift.

Does this help?
Thank You. Good to know someone knows what i am talking about!

I drive an automatic BTW.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
jhsouders
With the help of SGII

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan Manual
Do you have a Scangauge II or something similar to track mpg?
Old 03-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
2007yariz

No i don't have a Scangauge II.

I am usually in a hurry when i drive(bad habit), and i like to keep my eyes on the road.

Sometimes i record my mileage when refueling to track my mpg.