Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-14-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
HELP needed for carputer project: Powered USB hub install

My plan is to setup a carputer setup in my yaris using my netbook, although the netbook won't be a permanent install, more something I can hook up when I want, and remove it when I want. So some of it will be removable, while other parts of the install are going to be permanent.

What I would like some input on is doing a permanent install of at least a 7 port powered USB hub, you know one I can actually use as a USB hub for the netbook, while providing its own power for the devices as some of the devices will be too much for the netbook. I know USB hubs usually run at 5v, and I would like to setup something NOT using an inverter and power brick that runs off of the cars 12v system, and shuts off when the car isn't on (like how the 12v aux works). I would like this to be permanent so I can also use the hub w/o the netbook being hooked up so I can charge things like my phones and bluetooth speaker. Some items that will be for the netbook I'd like to leave in will be a bluetooth adapter possibly and a GPS receiver. It would also be nice as I would have the potential to run more USB devices like a printer, external 2.5" hard drive, and my external DVD drive.

I'm pretty good with the computer aspect and installing everything, what I need help with is something that I can do so I can run the 5v device off of the 12v power. I feel this should be able to be done pretty cheap, and industrial solutions are too much (anywhere from $50-$100). Can I do this cheaply by say just visiting radio shack and getting some resistors and fuses? I've wired up other stuff just fine but have kept it at 12v, this is the first time I've messed with the voltage and really would like to NOT fry my computer stuff or car. When I get the info I need I will start the build and install process, documenting everything I need.

This is what I'm going to be using that I have:
Acer Aspire One AOD250 1.6ghz Netbook running Windows 7 Pro, 10.1" LED LCD, 2gb RAM, 500gb Seagate Momentus XT hybrid 7200rpm hard drive, MSI bluetooth USB adapter (free, why I'm using that one)
External USB 2.5" SATA aluminum hard drive enclosure with a 320gb 5400rpm drive
External USB DVD multi burner
Power Inverter

Need:
Powered USB hub like this or this.
USB GPS receiver like this
DIY custom mount for the netbook, and install of USB hub
Small monochrome laser printer with USB, wifi, or bluetooth

Future possibility: With tethering on the netbook and the blackberry I'm going to do mobile internet, and also might install a access point in the car so me and passengers can have easy access to the internet, plus give me the ability to use the printer via wifi.

I'm open for suggestions for the GPS, right now I have a nice and free app on my blackberry, but it would be nice to get more features from the netbook, and it would be nice for logging trips, jobs, etc. Also if any other suggestions for hardware I'm open (except for the netbook, as I see zero need to change that).

I'm really excited about doing this, although don't have all the funds this moment, but should by the time I get all the info together. Can't wait to post the project up.

Last edited by Astroman; 10-14-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
Sounds like you're turning your car into a Stormchaser! :)
Old 10-14-2010, 05:46 PM   #3
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
astroman,
You need something that will take your 12v power down to the power that your USB hub needs. This will be the Output listed on the wall wart or "power brick" that is supplied with the USB hub. If its output is 5v then you will need to take your power from a switched 12v power source in the car down to 5v. When I did my "stealth garage door opener" project there was a post in that thread that linked to a motorcycle forum. In that forum was an electrical schematic diagram and parts needed to wire this yourself (except in that thread it was for 12v down to 3v). All you would need to do is change the resistor between the left and middle legs of the linear voltage regulator to make it output 5v insted of 3v. But I am not clever enough to tell you what that resistance needs to be. But at least I can link you to the diagram. Lemme see if I can find it. Should cost you less than $10 for the parts.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
Heres that link, you will need to find someone more electronically engineering than I am to figure out what those resistors need to be to supply 5v rather than 3v (assuming that the powered hub needs 5v), but then from there all you would need to do is instead of the two leads going to a garage door opener, you would just cut off the end of the power cord to the usb hub and connect those two leads from the circuit to the power cord end to plug into the usb hub. Would that work?

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217769
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
You would probably want to go with the first hub choice since it does have overload protection. The resistor idea I would think would work for you just fine like Shinare has stated. I guess the bigger question would be the amp rating and draw if you had for example all 7 or 10 ports drawing juice right? The 7 port unit only provides 100mA per port and the 10 port unit doesn't list a per port rating.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:10 PM   #6
Astroman
Modded Moderator

That link is pretty much exactly what I need, except of course 5v instead of 3v. Once I figure out what hub im using I'll know the amps it will be needing which will help.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:20 PM   #7
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
You would probably want to go with the first hub choice since it does have overload protection. The resistor idea I would think would work for you just fine like Shinare has stated. I guess the bigger question would be the amp rating and draw if you had for example all 7 or 10 ports drawing juice right? The 7 port unit only provides 100mA per port and the 10 port unit doesn't list a per port rating.
Ok I'll go with the first hub, as also it would be cool to be running 10 ports if I ever needed that many. I even looked at the manufacture site and couldn't get a per port rating, but honestly other than the hard drive or DVD, most won't be drawing that much power anyway.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:15 AM   #8
anexrx7

Drives: 08 MM HB
Astroman, you and I have nearly identical setups except that I don't care about any USB hubs. What you need to understand is the draw in amps you're going to need to power your 5v. So far for the power consumption, there isn't really a cheap way to do it except maybe something like this http://www.meijer.com/s/scosche-revi...?cmpid=prodads You could hard wire that in, as the lead on the end just simply touches the 12v in the socket.

As for a supply for the acerone, I'm looking myself. That requires 19v@1.58A.

PK, what was the DC-DC PSU for?
anexrx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:28 AM   #9
anexrx7

Drives: 08 MM HB
Right, I know what they are, I was asking what were you suggesting to use it for in this project, I can't figure out where you were going with it.
anexrx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:25 AM   #10
Astroman
Modded Moderator

That might work, as there is a 5v line isn't there? Will this possibly work even if I don't have a mobo hooked up? I'm curious as the netbook will be powered via a simple inverter, while the USB hub will be powered from the car.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #11
Astroman
Modded Moderator

I have a ATX mobo power cable extender I'm not going to use (it's only a 20-pin) so that would be simple. My question is how would I make it so it's on when the car is on? I heard there is an unused 12v spot on the wiring place under the dash (sorry, forgot what that's called at the moment.) I'd like to tap into that if it will perform the same way the 12v aux does as opposed to tapping into the AUX as I will be using that for the netbooks inverter.

This is the one I'm thinking of using as my watts requirement will be low since I'll only be powering the USB hub.

http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-80
Old 10-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #12
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Ah ok I see. Wow the carpc has come a long way in the 10 years since I first looked into it.

Most of this stuff wasn't quite worked out yet, or that small back then.

The ebay seller beat the store website by several bucks so I'm going to go through him. Once I can get one of my customers to give me the $700 check they owe I'll start buying the parts. Since I'll have things plugged in all the time for the USB I think the PS method will work best so I don't fry anything.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:57 AM   #13
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Hm same reason I didn't buy TEIN springs on ebay. I emailed them so see if a seller was legit and they said they don't authorize ANY auction sales and buy from a certified vendor on their list.

For the extra $7 bucks or so, maybe it's a better choice. The pics are obviously the same ones as on ebay.

I hate you ebay
Old 10-18-2010, 12:03 PM   #14
Astroman
Modded Moderator

What other things should I consider or be made aware of do you think? What other cool things that are cheap and doable?
Old 10-22-2010, 09:06 PM   #15
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Alright I'm going to order my stuff to do the powered USB hub install tonight, will be putting the netbook mount in later sometime. Still haven't figured out what I want to do there... Wish I had an old erector set
Old 11-01-2010, 05:18 PM   #16
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Stuffs in, just need time and an idea of where to install the hub and netbook.