Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-26-2016, 04:33 AM   #1
bluethree

Drives: e61
brake fluid

when to replace the brake fluid? how to make sure brake fluid should be replaced?

sorry for my bad English.
thanks
bluethree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:53 AM   #2
CB900F2

Drives: 08 Sedan
I change mine every 2 years...
CB900F2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:05 AM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
^this
Old 10-26-2016, 10:58 AM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluethree View Post
when to replace the brake fluid? how to make sure brake fluid should be replaced?

sorry for my bad English.
thanks
Technically there is no requirement to replace the brake fluid, in the owners manual. I have to believe they know what theyre doing when they dont spec a replacement interval... You can look it up for yourself if you have the manual.

My wifes 05 Camry has 135k on it and my 09 Yaris 44k and the brake fluid has never been changed or even bled in either car without any ill effect. And while I am Casper Milquetoast driving my car my wife drives like a bat out of hell!

However it certainly wouldnt hurt to change it as it might prolong the life of the brake system parts.

If you have a manual transmission however that also uses brake fluid and I recommend at least a bleeding every two years, even though there is no requirement in the owners manual. The clutch gets used about ten times as much as the brakes and if air gets into the system or the fluid goes bad at the the clutch cylinder, it can result in hard shifting which might make you think there something wrong with the clutch itself.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:17 AM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Technically there is no requirement to replace the brake fluid, in the owners manual. I have to believe they know what theyre doing when they dont spec a replacement interval... You can look it up for yourself if you have the manual.
Exactly.

My '06, build date 11/2005 with close to 300,000kms on her has never been changed. In all my years of vehicle ownership, which sadly is becoming considerable, I've never replaced brake fluid for the sake of just replacing it. No issues ever.

Go ahead and do it if you like. It's your time and money.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:15 PM   #6
CB900F2

Drives: 08 Sedan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o81GjHj4z4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Exactly.

My '06, build date 11/2005 with close to 300,000kms on her has never been changed. In all my years of vehicle ownership, which sadly is becoming considerable, I've never replaced brake fluid for the sake of just replacing it. No issues ever.

Go ahead and do it if you like. It's your time and money.
CB900F2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:56 PM   #7
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Every two years is the generally accepted interval. I never used to believe in changing brake fluid (even as a Mechanic) until I worked for Nissan. There are some Nissan calipers that are well known to seize. At the dealership where they do brake flushes, they never have any issues (to the point the other Mechanics thought I was crazy when I asked about them). A brake flush is cheap compared to calipers, so it is cost-effective to change your brake fluid on most vehicles.
Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:07 AM   #8
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
All this is provided the bleeders will open without snapping off first...
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:13 AM   #9
CoryM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
All this is provided the bleeders will open without snapping off first...
Yeah. It's a good idea to crack the bleeders loose by tightening them further. Then as soon as they move, stop and then loosen them. They are far less likely to break this way (as are all bolts. Especially small ones). Even if they do break, you know they are still sealed and will not leak.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:19 AM   #10
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
change your fluid every 2 years.
brake fluid is hydroscopic; it absorbs moisture. it depends on where you live. I live in the desert climate, the humidly is usually less than 20%. even in this environment brake fluid becomes wet. brake lines are made of copper tube. the old brake fluid can slowly strip the copper down from moisture corrosion. this crud "falls" into your calipers and wears seals/pistons prematurely. the moisture can also cause damage to rubber components in the system making them weak and brittle. moisture also raises the boiling point in brake fluid. in a panic situation under heavy breaking, wet brake fluid can boil/vaporize causing loss of brake function.
change your fluid.
make sure your tech uses a new, sealed bottle of fluid. I've worked at a lot of shops where there is large bulk open bottles of brake fluid sitting at everyone's work area. I tell them how brake fluid works, but they say something like, "i'vebeen doing this for 20 years..." or something like that. you've been doing it wrong for 20 years more like it...
change your fluid.
use new, unopened fluid.
smart.
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:06 AM   #11
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Brakes lines are made of steel not copper.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:04 PM   #12
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Brakes lines are made of steel not copper.
no they are not. they are called "Bundy tube." just the rubber parts that you replace with aftermarket SS are "steel." then you have different metals which is a whole different issue in itself.
if you don't trust me, do you trust Stacey David?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o81GjHj4z4s

here is the Wikipedia on bundy tubing. even if they use the low-corrosive european tube, it still has copper to aid in bending properties.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundy_tube
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:30 AM   #13
bluethree

Quote:

My wifes 05 Camry has 135k on it and my 09 Yaris 44k and the brake fluid has never been changed or even bled in either car without any ill effect. And while I am Casper Milquetoast driving my car my wife drives like a bat out of hell!

However it certainly wouldnt hurt to change it as it might prolong the life of the brake system parts.

If you have a manual transmission however that also uses brake fluid and I recommend at least a bleeding every two years, even though there is no requirement in the owners manual. The clutch gets used about ten times as much as the brakes and if air gets into the system or the fluid goes bad at the the clutch cylinder, it can result in hard shifting which might make you think there something wrong with the clutch itself.
thanks for your reply!
Old 11-02-2016, 03:32 AM   #14
bluethree

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB900F2 View Post
I change mine every 2 years...
i recently bought a brake fluid tester to test if the fluid is water-contained As the standard if the brake fluid should be changed
Old 11-02-2016, 08:48 AM   #15
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
i recently bought a brake fluid tester to test if the fluid is water-contained As the standard if the brake fluid should be changed
OOO tell me what you find out! Im invoved in a bake fluid controversy on another forum and am considering buying one to settle an argument.

I say an opened but resealed container of brake fluid will NOT absorb moisture even after three years!

In a car brake fluid is NOT sealed but its debateable how much water it will absorb. A FoMoCo study found less than 1% water after seven years in its cars.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:24 AM   #16
CoryM

Quote:
Use a bit of caution with those: They are often very inaccurate. And you will also want to sample from different areas of the system which is pretty hard to do.

Simply put, $5-10 worth of brake fluid every 2yrs to reduce the chances of calipers seizing is a no-brainer.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:36 PM   #17
bluethree

Quote:
OOO tell me what you find out! Im invoved in a bake fluid controversy on another forum and am considering buying one to settle an argument.

I say an opened but resealed container of brake fluid will NOT absorb moisture even after three years!

In a car brake fluid is NOT sealed but its debateable how much water it will absorb. A FoMoCo study found less than 1% water after seven years in its cars.
All right,i bought the brake fluid tester on uobdii, it is so cheap only cost ten dollars, it is chinese clone so i thought if it will cause any damage? But the measurement did not contact directly with the my car, So I'm not worried about that. but anyway, you should be careful using it if you really want to
Old 11-02-2016, 11:52 PM   #18
bluethree

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
Use a bit of caution with those: They are often very inaccurate. And you will also want to sample from different areas of the system which is pretty hard to do.

Simply put, $5-10 worth of brake fluid every 2yrs to reduce the chances of calipers seizing is a no-brainer.
yes,u are right. i want to check the savety of the fluid. you know,poor quality of the brake fluid may cause traffic accidents, although this is rarely happened...

it will not cause any damage, i separated the brake fluid from the car, just to check, anyway it is very cheap