Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Information needed about adding a additional key fob remote.

So my vehicle has the alarm system added to my factory remote. The kind the beeps when you lock the car. I am scared that if the battery dies in my key or i drop it or loose it I am completely screwed as i can not start my car so i would like to have an additional one kept in a safe place for emergencys.

I am looking at the TSB for programming oem wireless door lock remot transmitter and i am wondering if this same technique will still work if i have the alarm system. Or will I end up having to take it to the dealer and having to pay them to do it for me. I am looking on ebay and I can find one for about 50 bucks. For me thats reasonable especially if i dont have to pay labor. To have a new key done at the dealer programmed would cost me in the hundreds.

If anyone has any idea on if this will work or has done it and it works please post a reply. As i am sure there are other members wondering the same thing.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #2
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Does your key have a chip in it or is just the alarm. A lot of people think they have chip keys when in fact they are just regular keys.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:46 PM   #3
YarisSedan

I dont think there is a chip. I think my alarm system operates by sensing when the key is out of the ignition if the vehicle is locked or unlocked thats how it arms the system. I know this because one time i went ot pick up my girlfriend and thrn the car off on the driveway and locked and unlocked the door and then when i started to leave the alarm wen toff when i was driving. Had to pull over remove the key disarm and arm and disarm again to get it to stop.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:01 AM   #4
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Well in that case, just take your key to Wal-Mart and get an extra key made for $1.20. This will solve your problem if you are just looking for an emergency key.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
YarisSedan

I have a spare key but when i open teh door with it it triggers the alarm. I need a seperate remote to unlock the car to disarm it
Old 01-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #6
matthewboii

Drives: 2008 Flint Mica Yaris Sedan
What alarm system is this??

I want my sedan to freaking beep when i lock it darn it...

aha
matthewboii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:32 AM   #7
YarisSedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewboii View Post
What alarm system is this??

I want my sedan to freaking beep when i lock it darn it...

aha
I dunno they sold it to me when i bought the car. I got suckered into it. Somehow the finanace manager said he could lower my payments and give me the alarm system. So if i didnt get the alarm system my payments would be higher. I was like how. I can because im lowerding your interested by 3 percent.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:56 AM   #8
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
is it the toyota alarm? if so it is not an alarm just keyless entry with horn sound...

if it really is the alarm it will have glass break sensors and you will have the vip alarm....and immobilizer ignition/chipped key...
(they screwed us at the dealership on this long story)

didja check the spare tire area? sometimes they throw the valet key & second remote in there?

ALSO I will check at work tomorrow on the tsb and the service procedure paperwork I have about the toyota remote fobs....
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:37 AM   #9
YarisSedan

It was isnstalled by the dealer. Sold to me at the purchase of the vehicle. Was supose to be like a thousand dollars. Its got some sensor because when i was putting my hubcaps on the other day it tripped the alarm. I unlocked the car. The car locked itself and then the alarm tripped again. But there is no chip in the key. Because it was the key that came with the car. Before the alarm was installed.

I don tknow quite how it works. But i know that locking or unlocking the door seems to trigger the arm and disarm. So I dont know if the TSB procedure will work if i add another key or does it have to be specifically programed to the alarm. Otherwise for that i would ahve to take it to the dealer.

When i purchased the car they gave me 2 spare keys which are just normal keys and the toyota key with the remote built into the key. That key is what i use to arm and disarm the car. Its the only remote i have so if i loose or break it im totally screwed. The other keys i supose could be used to unlock the door but the alarm will sound and ignition will disable itself. Its only really good if i lock the orignally key in the car to unlock the door to retrieve that key and quickly disarm the vehicle.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
It was isnstalled by the dealer. Sold to me at the purchase of the vehicle. Was supose to be like a thousand dollars. Its got some sensor because when i was putting my hubcaps on the other day it tripped the alarm. I unlocked the car. The car locked itself and then the alarm tripped again. But there is no chip in the key. Because it was the key that came with the car. Before the alarm was installed.

I don tknow quite how it works. But i know that locking or unlocking the door seems to trigger the arm and disarm. So I dont know if the TSB procedure will work if i add another key or does it have to be specifically programed to the alarm. Otherwise for that i would ahve to take it to the dealer.

When i purchased the car they gave me 2 spare keys which are just normal keys and the toyota key with the remote built into the key. That key is what i use to arm and disarm the car. Its the only remote i have so if i loose or break it im totally screwed. The other keys i supose could be used to unlock the door but the alarm will sound and ignition will disable itself. Its only really good if i lock the orignally key in the car to unlock the door to retrieve that key and quickly disarm the vehicle.
grr....you got lucky you have the actual toyota VIP alarm as far as I know the remote with the integrated key has to be programmed by the dealer (we can't do it at our shop)
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote