Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-26-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
fraenx

Drives: 2007 Yaris 2DHB
Need remote key

Hi,

I just bought a 2007 Toyota Yaris 2DHB. The car only came with one key. The key is a plain copy and doesn't remote functionality. However, the Yaris has power door locks which also unlock the hatch back. If I lock the car at the driver door, the horn honks after about 20 seconds. If I try to unlock the car on the passenger side, an alarm goes off.

It appears to me that my car has the power door locks, with remote entry as well as factory alarm. Can anybody tell me how to make sure??

Essentially I want to get a remote key. I was told that the Toyota dealer will charge me between $150 and $200 for the key plus an hour of labor for programming. Obviously that's way outrageous and I am looking for a cheaper alternative.

I found a key on eBay at below link. Before I buy it I want to make sure that it works with my car.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MakeTrack=true

Also, if that key works with my car, can I program it myself or do I have to take it to a dealer for programming.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Fraenx
fraenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
ztlonewolf

Drives: 2008 red 3 dr S coupe
first of all,i would go back to the place/person you bought the car from and ask them for your remote key,if they don't have it,i would spend the extra money at the dealer to have the keyless entry reprogrammed for a new remote,or have it disabled,with the original remote key being in someone elses hands,they could easily steal your car.

cheaper to replace the remote than to buy another car.

also,instead of going by what someone told you it would cost,call the dealer yourself and then take it from there
ztlonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote