Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-23-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
How durable is the 1NZ-FE???

So maybe this is my own fault for watching those stupid videos on people blowing up there motors on You Tube. But that brings me to my question. How duable is the Yaris motor? I was a Honda guy before the Yaris, and I was able to rag on my LS motor ALL DAY, never had any problems with it. I had a few friends that would just boost there stock B series motor up to like 12lbs and ran It fine. I've also heard of a couple of people say that the 1NZ-FE isn't that great of a motor for turbo. Anyone know how much boost this motor can run safely on stock internals? Plus has anyone here boosted the Yaris yet? If so what are your quarter mile times?
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:09 PM   #2
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
On stock internals and compression Blitz think the most you can reliably get is a 20hp increase. The keyword here is "reliably".
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:12 PM   #3
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleong View Post
On stock internals and compression Blitz think the most you can reliably get is a 20hp increase. The keyword here is "reliably".
For Turbo Chargers 7psi is the max you can go without changing out the Internals... but at 7 you might need a new Clutch!

Talk to anyone at ZPI and they can fill you in better!

Or just SEARCH the word Boost...and enjoy the findings!

Nutzoids... Where Punk rock is less about Image, and more about the Mind!
Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
I like HP myself, but I personally think that trying to get huge gains out this engine is a waste of time. Making the car handle well and stop better is more useful IMO. It reminds me of a local kid with a gorgeous Subaru WRX. He has a reliable (dyno proven) 460 HP engine that really does get the job done. The down side is that he could have purchased a turn key vehicle (Corvette Z06) capable of the same performance with full warranty and no personal input whatsoever with what he spent on the WRX.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:33 PM   #5
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Your best source of information on this topic will be Scionlife, but from what I've read prolonged exposure to boost tears the 1NZ up pretty well. There is an xA owner who ran a modest supercharger for I believe 30,000 miles and he was already beginning to get blowby. Not good.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:45 PM   #6
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
The 1nz-fe is not a performance motor. As such it is not built to handle high performance. Throw on all the boltons and enjoy it NA forever.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:59 AM   #7
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
Very very durable.
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:36 PM   #8
Jujufruit

Drives: Camry
IMO personal input into your vehicle is a great thing! For me its the relationship between you and your vessel, the sailor and his ship sort of thing. Going out and buying a turnkey vehicle with warranteed performance is all fine and dandy if you are a yuppy, or just want a fun car that doesn't require elbow grease and a little ingenuity. Besides, its a feeling of accomplishment when you are complete. In my opinion, I'd rather have the masterpiece 460hp WRX over any stock Vette anyday, or any unmodified performance car (besides, I'm just not a fan of most exotics) but I'd want to do the modification myself versus it being predone. Besides, I'm all about having the least amount as far as engine size, stock performance, and just making it the best overall performer it can be, especially when it means keeping up and giving a run for the money to larger, more expensive cars. Just my .02
Jujufruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:08 PM   #9
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
Its a good strong motor if you keep things reasonable, Exhaust/Intake...Pully Kit...Keep things NA like said a couple posts up...

I would LOVE to Turbo this little car, but I keep thinking about the long term...

I know they have turbo'd such a Yaris overseas, but it only hits 140hp on similar engine componants, so the choice is yours. ZPI goes with 180hp...

But the less boost means less hp and less engine wear. Also have to consider the driver, if you step on it all day long, of course your car wont last as long as a granny driver. Mentioning that you maintain both cars at top quality.
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:40 AM   #10
Carvin'07
Selling all mods

Drives: '07 Bayou Blue - totally stock
Cool

It all depends on how long you wish to run your car. Do you have a great, permanent job with a thick paycheck, or do you work at a grocery store and live with mom and dad? If it is the former, boost it, blow it and then rebuild it! If it is the latter, boost it til it blows, then buy your next project car.

IMO, I agree with largeorangefont...bolt ons bolt ons bolts ons. Your car will treat you very well.

With a turbo on an OEM non-turbo/non-performance engine, you will significantly shorten the life of the engine. The 1NZ-FE is an open deck block with not much material in between the cylinders and the coolant passages. This means less material to hold back the boost! Yes, they are likely iron-lined, but this lining is very thin. The piston dome is likely not optimized adequately to minimize major hot spots created during turbocharged combustion. Plus, there are no piston oil-squirters and the rods are like toothpicks. This means you will need to run it more rich than a stock turbo'ed (or high perf. NA) car to keep it cool enough to prevent excessive knock. The injectors/fuel pump may be limitations as well...I do not personally know the max fueling capacity for these parts for this engine.

These limits from the stock design are some of the many reasons that you get pre-mature blowby. You accumulate hundreds of mini-knock events in your cylinders/pistons/rings and it creates an uneven seal...the crankcase pressure will push the oil up into the combustion chamber.

If you run a car too rich for too long, you can certainly limit the life of the engine. Your plugs will foul often, you will have to replace your O2 sensor often (not something you want to do on a regular basis...especially if you use a wideband...it gets really expensive!)

Your friends may be able to run stock BXXs at 12 psi, but for how long until they started to burn oil?

my thoughts...
Carvin'

Last edited by Carvin'07; 05-27-2007 at 10:51 AM. Reason: typo & more info
Carvin'07 is offline   Reply With Quote