Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-28-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
Stiv

Drives: Yaris TS 1,8L
Rear hub spacers

Hi guys,

Can someone explain to me why are rear wheels more inside the car than the front two?
And what will rear hub spacers change regarding driving characteristics?

Thank you
Stiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
jclo3313
Super Moderator

Drives: Absolutely red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to jclo3313
There are a number of theads dedicated to the subject of wheel spacers. Go to the search feature at the upper right of the page and type in "wheel spacers". You'll find quite a bit of info then.

Obama Can't Gymkhana!
jclo3313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I've been told the car has a narrower track in the rear.

Rear hub spacers, or wheels spacers (that go on the outside) do this:

1. Widen the track on the wheels they are used on. This can improve handling in corners and overal stability (resistance to cross wind, for example).

2. They bring the wheels out for a more flush look, which most people think improves the overall look of the vehicle.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:46 PM   #4
Wita09

Drives: 09 Yaris Hatchback
what's the advantage of hub spacers over wheel spacers?
Wita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:22 AM   #5
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wita09 View Post
what's the advantage of hub spacers over wheel spacers?
hub spacers are a hassle free part. you never have to mess with them once they're installed.

wheel spacers require the use of longer studs $$$ and will put more wear/tear on your wheelbearings in the rear than hub spacers (which put no wear/tear at all on your bearings)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:57 AM   #6
Stiv

Drives: Yaris TS 1,8L
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I've been told the car has a narrower track in the rear.
Ok, but why is that so? The only thing I can think off is that this way puts more force on the outer front wheel during cornering (e.g. better traction). For example, imagine a car with two front wheels and one in the back in the center. The force distribution would be much different.

Or maybe I misunderstood something, maybe it's my bad english :)
Stiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #7
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
and will put more wear/tear on your wheelbearings in the rear than hub spacers (which put no wear/tear at all on your bearings)
I've seen this statement made a few times and would like some clarification on a question which always goes through my mind. I have 10mm wheel spacers with ET42 wheels. How does this combination differ, as far as stress, from a ET32 wheel by itself?
Old 03-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #8
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
i believe the the spacer goes behind the bearing rather than front.. front will extends the distance between the wheel bearing and the wheel which cause more stress on the bearing due to leverage..where as behind keeps it the same a stock just sticking out more vs stock.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #9
WeeYari

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
I have 10mm wheel spacers with ET42 wheels. How does this combination differ, as far as stress, from a ET32 wheel by itself?
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
i believe the the spacer goes behind the bearing rather than front.. front will extends the distance between the wheel bearing and the wheel which cause more stress on the bearing due to leverage..where as behind keeps it the same a stock just sticking out more vs stock.
Does not answer my question.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:38 AM   #10
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
The way the body is designed they appear not to be flush with the fenders. But the wheels are evenly spaced. If you would take a string and run it from the front tire to the back you would see there is no angle change. Spacing out the rear tires brings the tire out to bring it more flush with the fenders to correct the cosmetic issue while providing a wider rear track. Wider means more stable. Vehicle will handle better especially on turns. Same reason why putting high offset wheels on your car it handles better.

Also the way that the spacers are installed they dont put any unessisary stress on the bearings because the bolt inbetween the hub and the rear axle assembly.

The type of spacers that go on the outer portion of hubs and with extended studs are the ones you have to worry about because over time they may cause premature bearing failure. But if your going to hit pothole with enough force to damage a bearing its not going to make a difference what type of spacer you are running.

Last edited by YarisSedan; 03-01-2010 at 11:52 AM.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I have 10mm wheel spacers with ET42 wheels. How does this combination differ, as far as stress, from a ET32 wheel by itself?
It doesn't.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:52 AM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Race teams around the world use wheels spacers (to clear larger brake calipers, for example). I have used them for years.

Anyone claiming extra stress on the wheel bearing is sharing "book knowledge" -- sounds right, but there isn't much evidence that damage occurs BECAUSE of the spacers.

With that said, maybe there is a longevity problem, that the bearings won't last 250,000 miles.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:54 AM   #13
WeeYari

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
It doesn't.
Thank you.