Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-11-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
mygirlYari

Drives: Toyota Yaris Hatchback 08'
Help me with my deteriorating fuel economy

:( my little car, Yari, is very much lacking in fuel economy right now. I got her last May and from May 2013 to about September 2013, I would get about 85-100km per bar on my dash. It then slowly got worse and is now at about 50-60kms per bar. Literally half of what it was. I got new all seasons in November. I've checked my air filter and a friend of mine took a look at things in my engine and said it all looked normal. I drive the same amount and just as calmly. Weather was cold in the winter but it's warm now but no improvement as far as gas. I don't know what could change my fuel economy that drastically. Any ideas??
mygirlYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
How many miles do you have on it? There are many things that could be contributing:

1. Dirty MAF sensor
2. Failing O2 Sensors
3. Dirty fuel injectors
4. Plugged Cat
5. Fouled plugs
6. Weak coil packs

etc.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #3
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Make sure your tires are inflated properly. I would try the 32 PSI that Toyota recommends for the Yaris. Also try the PSI recommended by the manufacturer of your new all season tires. Your new tires might weigh more than the previous tires, and that might make a small difference re MPG. Also, are you sure you have proper wheel alignment ?.....and...Are you sure the tires were balanced properly during installation (most places have a machine, so I don't think that is usually an issue) ? Do change just the tires, or did you also change the rims ?

Some people get better MPG running higher than recommended PSI in their tires. This was true for me (In multiple cars over the years) until I (6 months or so ago) reduced my PSI from 38 to 32, and my MPG actually improved.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
I was in the middle of typing my post when CTScott posted (two minute difference). Listen to CTScott. My suggestions might make a little bit of difference, but I would think the 6 things CTScott mentions would each make more of a difference re MPG than my suggestions. The only one of those I can really comment on re personal experience with my own cars is #5. I kept the same spark plugs in my Suzuki Swift from new to the end (151,000+ miles) and didn't notice the MPG drop as the plugs aged. I didn't get the spark plugs changed in my Yaris until about 208,000 miles, and I also didn't notice a drop off in MPG as the spark plugs aged. However, these might be two outlier experiences, and not even close to a normal experience.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:34 PM   #5
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
Best mileage in the summer, worst mileage in the winter, Canada no less. Sounds like me. I can go 6-8 mpg difference from summer to winter. Let me guess short commutes? You say it's warm now, here in MA. my "cool" engine light is still on in the morning when I get in my car and start it and go.

When I drive out to Ohio, my Ultra-Gauge monitors intake temp, and as I go through western PA at elevation the intake temp will drop sometimes 5-10 degrees and subsequently instant mpg falls off accordingly as the temp drops.

My suggestion when these mileage things come up is ignore the "bars" Go strictly by miles per gallon or liter. Fill it up and go for a 4 hr. drive on a highway, cruise control if you have it and then check your mileage.

Auto or Manual? It may never be getting out of 3rd gear. or only briefly

Last edited by NEexpat; 05-11-2014 at 07:51 PM.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #6
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
also have you changed your oil, and does the transmission fluid need to be changed? These things can make a significant dent in fuel economy as well.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:04 PM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEexpat View Post
Best mileage in the summer, worst mileage in the winter, Canada no less. Sounds like me. I can go 6-8 mpg difference from summer to winter. Let me guess short commutes? You say it's warm now, here in MA. my "cool" engine light is still on in the morning when I get in my car and start it and go.

When I drive out to Ohio, my Ultra-Gauge monitors intake temp, and as I go through western PA at elevation the intake temp will drop sometimes 5-10 degrees and subsequently instant mpg falls off accordingly as the temp drops.
definitely a possibility, as you likely have very similar weather to the OP.

Quote:
My suggestion when these mileage things come up is ignore the "bars" Go strictly by miles per gallon or liter.
If I'm getting really close to empty, I still do pay attention to the bars, but I pay much closer attention to how many miles I've driven on that tank and what my MPG was on the previous tank.

Quote:
Auto or Manual? It may never be getting out of 3rd gear. or only briefly
Good point. Depending on freeway or surface streets (with signals) and your speed....4th may rarely (or never) see 'the light of day'.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:06 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
also have you changed your oil, and does the transmission fluid need to be changed? These things can make a significant dent in fuel economy as well.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:25 PM   #9
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
" If I'm getting really close to empty, I still do pay attention to the bars, but I pay much closer attention to how many miles I've driven on that tank and what my MPG was on the previous tank."

Nook, you are quite right. It was my own clumsy phrasing. What I should have said is the "bars" are not nearly as accurate as actual miles or kms per gal. or liter. I've had 1st bars drop as low as 59 and as high as 107. But don't ignore them.

Cheers.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:04 AM   #10
mygirlYari

Drives: Toyota Yaris Hatchback 08'
77,000kms, automatic, oils all good etc! Should I run it to absolutely empty and see how many kms my whole tank gets me?
mygirlYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:13 AM   #11
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygirlYari View Post
77,000kms, automatic, oils all good etc! Should I run it to absolutely empty and see how many kms my whole tank gets me?
you're better off checking how many km you can do per tank (until flashing) or keep track of how many liters of gasoline you put and how many km you did. Here's to put the trip counter to good use.

You can then determine if you are doing very bad or not.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #12
mirapatec

Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2020 Yaris LE HB
If it is available in your area, check to see if you can purchase non-ethanol gasoline. In my experience, this make a big difference. Though, there is a cost factor involved.

mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #13
mirapatec

Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2020 Yaris LE HB
@ mygirlYari: Do you have any updates?

mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poor fuel economy gas