Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #37
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
went to the Milwaukee area late last night from southwest MI. this was pretty much all I-94 interstate at 45-70 mph, depending on construction zones/congestion, and some rain. admittedly id say 70% of the trip was at 50-65 mph, so good conditions for mpg's.

414.8 total miles. 9.18 gallons used.

45.18 mpg's. computer showed 44.9.

the only stopping was for tolls. the rest was literally going with the flow of traffic. there was enough traffic (mostly the greater Chicago/Milwaukee area) that most of the lanes were going about the same speeds.

no hypermiling. a monkey could have been driving and gotten the same mileage.

2014 5 speed manual. completely stock, except for the weather tech floor liner and OEM SE shift knob.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:58 AM   #38
jack black

Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberSilver View Post
While your sooooo happy with the prius, lets not forget the extra 1/2 ton of toxic waste the earth needs to deal with, when I prius is wrecked.
You clearly don't know what you're talking about and recycle oil companies lies/propaganda that Hummer is more environmentally friendly than Prius.
In the unlikely event you know what you're talking about, please explain what is "the 1/2 ton of toxic waste the earth needs to deal with, when I prius is wrecked."
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:03 PM   #39
jack black

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
.....including the elephant in the room --- replacing the hybrid battery. A lady called into the nationally syndicated Car Pro radio show this last weekend wondering if she should trade in her Prius. Jerry said that dealers, when looking at the value of a Prius trade in, peg the life of the hybrid battery at about 150,000-160,000 miles in most climates (shaving a bit off that range if the car has 'lived' in extreme heat or extreme cold). He said that the replacement cost has been coming down, but that the current replacement cost is about $4,000 (sometimes a bit less).
Anyone with decent skill can rebuild the HV battery at the cost ranging $50-500. This is less than having a major service at stealership on a regular car.

Yes, if you know nothing about cars and electricity and ask a stealership to do it, the sticker shock will be predictable. Same as any major failure in any regular car.

But, I'm wasting my time here as this is obviously Yaris boy fan club and personally having both yaris and prius makes me too objective to participate in hybrid hate.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #40
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
@roxy1
The only differences between your car and mine :

A/T vs M/T (negligible difference in this car)
Cruise control is set whenever possible (for me)
Tanabe exhaust vs stock
aFe intake vs stock
36-38 psi vs ?
stock wheels & tires on both (I'm assuming)

I average 15 miles one way for work, usually a/c off and Windows down, I drive at the speed limits (40-65) +/-5mph
with no jackrabbit starts

the average temperature here right now is about 85-90

I'm getting 340-360/tank and I usually fill up about 10.5-11 gallons

Could climate, air quality & location be to blame for this difference?

Sent from my metallic purple honami
I'm noticing a pattern......
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:30 PM   #41
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
#1. Lots of rare earth metals! Rare earths occur naturally with the radioactive elements thorium and uranium, which, if not stored securely, can leach into groundwater or escape into the air as dust. The refining process requires huge amounts of harsh acids, which also have to be disposed of safely.

Production of the Prius is described as "the biggest user of rare earths of any object in the world.

#2. Production of the batteries and disposal of the batteries has a huge impact on our environment. Just because it's all done in third world areas, does not make it any less toxic to the planet.

What Prius owner don't get, is nothing is free! The gasoline engine is very efficient and clean. The Prius is less efficient once you add the toxic waste, and cost to the planet(not the prius owner). Prius owners are as guilty of poisoning our planet, as any of the chemical companies that dump there waste.
The Prius owners may not be tipping the toxic barrel, but they are in the toxic waste chain(imo).

Folks that run out and buy a Prius, are ignorant emotional consumers.

If they were informed with a logical thought process, they would not buy a Prius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack black View Post
You clearly don't know what you're talking about and recycle oil companies lies/propaganda that Hummer is more environmentally friendly than Prius.
In the unlikely event you know what you're talking about, please explain what is "the 1/2 ton of toxic waste the earth needs to deal with, when I prius is wrecked."
Old 06-09-2014, 01:37 PM   #42
UberSilver

Quote:
Anyone with decent skill can rebuild the HV battery at the cost ranging $50-500. This is less than having a major service at stealership on a regular car.

Yes, if you know nothing about cars and electricity and ask a stealership to do it, the sticker shock will be predictable. Same as any major failure in any regular car.

But, I'm wasting my time here as this is obviously Yaris boy fan club and personally having both yaris and prius makes me too objective to participate in hybrid hate.
No Hybrid hate here, in fact no hate at all! I just believe that the Prius is not cleaner than a Yaris. And I find it funny when I hear a smug Prius owners, claiming they are helping the planet by driving a Prius, when it just the opposite.

I find these people to be ignorant emotional consumers, thats all, no hate.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #43
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
@roxy1

Tanabe exhaust vs stock
aFe intake vs stock
36-38 psi vs ?

I average 15 miles one way for work, usually a/c off and Windows down, I drive at the speed limits (40-65) +/-5mph

I don't know. driving 40-65 mph with a warmed up engine should make 40+ mpg's very doable. my brother drives an 08 sedan automatic for a casework job. he pretty much drives 40-60 mph all day with small city stops and gets 4o mpg or more on every tank. but, id be pulling 44+ easily under those conditions.

most folks I see here and on fuelly pulling really good mileage are diving manuals. I just think in the real world, the difference between the manual and auto is more significant than what the epa results would indicate.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:02 PM   #44
jack black

Quote:
#1. Lots of rare earth metals! Rare earths occur naturally with the radioactive elements thorium and uranium, which, if not stored securely, can leach into groundwater or escape into the air as dust. The refining process requires huge amounts of harsh acids, which also have to be disposed of safely.

Production of the Prius is described as "the biggest user of rare earths of any object in the world.

#2. Production of the batteries and disposal of the batteries has a huge impact on our environment. Just because it's all done in third world areas, does not make it any less toxic to the planet.

What Prius owner don't get, is nothing is free! The gasoline engine is very efficient and clean. The Prius is less efficient once you add the toxic waste, and cost to the planet(not the prius owner). Prius owners are as guilty of poisoning our planet, as any of the chemical companies that dump there waste.
The Prius owners may not be tipping the toxic barrel, but they are in the toxic waste chain(imo).

Folks that run out and buy a Prius, are ignorant emotional consumers.

If they were informed with a logical thought process, they would not buy a Prius.
Myth #1. "rare elements" are not rare. They are among the most common elements in the earth, they are just scattered. They have nothing to do with radioactive elements either. Here is more info for you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare_earth_element

Use of "rare elements" in Prius is in form of electric motor magnets.
The same magnets are used in hard drives, fridge magnets, and thousand of other things you use everyday. Maybe you are one of those "ignorant emotional consumers" who don't know about it?

Myth #2. Prius HV batteries are produced and recycled in Japan. Last time I checked it was first world country. Your sources are clearly lies. Toyota ships used batteries back to Japan: http://tms.ccar-greenlink.org/HV%20B...y_Program.html

By the way, there are the same NiMH batteries that you use or used to use in toys and other electronic equipment everyday. "ignorant emotional consumers" again?

You are clearly drinking too much oil companies coolaid. How come you are not concerned about them poisoning environment by fracking.

I know, I know, it has to do with hypocrisy.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:15 PM   #45
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:

How many Prius owners both have these skills and are willing to set aside the time to do the rebuild? I'm guessing, not many.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #46
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
emotional consumers.
.......and the percentage who lean left is pretty darn high .
Old 06-09-2014, 07:25 PM   #47
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
poisoning environment by fracking.
Obama's EPA would LOVE to shut down fracking. They haven't done it because they need proper evidence....which they HAVEN'T found.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:50 PM   #48
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
@roxy1

Tanabe exhaust vs stock
aFe intake vs stock
36-38 psi vs ?

I think you might improve your MPG if you rolled the window up and used the A/C (how much drag created by having the window open ???)

I agree with roxy1 in his reply....that real world difference between the manual and the automatic is greater than recognized by the EPA.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:08 PM   #49
UberSilver

Quote:
Obama's EPA would LOVE to shut down fracking. They haven't done it because they need proper evidence....which they HAVEN'T found.
This JB made my point for me, as far as ignorant and emotional, when he(or she) brings up Fracking, Like wtf does that have to do with anything??

At that point it was clear I nailed JB correctly, added him to my Ignore list, and moved on.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #50
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
brings up Fracking, Like wtf does that have to do with anything??
Thinking our questioning the footprint, etc of a Prius = POV only a schill for an oil company could have.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:48 PM   #51
UberSilver

Quote:
Thinking our questioning the footprint, etc of a Prius = POV only a schill for an oil company could have.
Something like that, I guess.

Also, come to think of it, I don't think an enduser could rebuild a Prius battery.

In fact I don't know of many, if any, that could rebuild any battery. Batteries are not made to be opened. As far as I know, there all sealed, and are designed to stay sealed. Can you imagine what sort of fumes would fill a Prius, if just one battery sprung a leak. The kids sleeping over the battery compartment would be the first to go.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:18 PM   #52
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Something like that, I guess.

Also, come to think of it, I don't think an enduser could rebuild a Prius battery.

In fact I don't know of many, if any, that could rebuild any battery. Batteries are not made to be opened. As far as I know, there all sealed, and are designed to stay sealed. Can you imagine what sort of fumes would fill a Prius, if just one battery sprung a leak. The kids sleeping over the battery compartment would be the first to go.
Nothing more serious than the welfare of children, but your addition of the eek emoticon still made me laugh.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:42 PM   #53
jack black

Quote:

Again, misinformation galore. You don't know what you're talking about but it doesn't stop you from spewing lies.

The HV batteries are not sealed just like prius doesn't carry 1/2 ton of "toxic waste". You are just one ignorant teenager with load mouth. Because of that, I forgive you.

Over and out.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:39 PM   #54
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
@roxy1

Tanabe exhaust vs stock
aFe intake vs stock
36-38 psi vs ?

You don't drive far enough. Your car just gets warmed up when you turn it off. Almost all the people that get great gas mileage on here have long commutes. You spend less money on gas than they do.

Quote:
Again, misinformation galore. You don't know what you're talking about but it doesn't stop you from spewing lies.

The HV batteries are not sealed just like prius doesn't carry 1/2 ton of "toxic waste". You are just one ignorant teenager with load mouth. Because of that, I forgive you.

Over and out.
insults like that prove you should just stop talking. No one is believing the filth spewing forth. There is just so much wrong with the crap you type. Just leave.