Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #91
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
I can't directly comment since I'm a pretty terrible welder but SS requires a different kind of gas and filler material.

I guess it depends on if you're using a Flux weld material or MIG/TIG welding. If its MIG or TIG you need gas otherwise it'll splatter and sugar really bad plus just weld like crap.

I think this might be helpful (http://www.brazing.com/techguide/pro.../stainless.asp)
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:11 PM   #92
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post

So nice and purdy
Lookin good!
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:06 PM   #93
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Here are my baseline numbers. The car is stock aside from a DC header, MI pulley, and a K&N air filter.

I'm guessing Toyota breathed a little extra magic on my car when it was made.

Also an acceleration run in 2nd gear from 12-62 mph. Just to get an idea of vehicle acceleration, another thing to add aside from dyno numbers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dquJk...&feature=g-upl

Old 11-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #94
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Looks like they did a 2nd gear pull. Makes the numbers inflated, but it's only for comparison. As long as you use the same dyno.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:25 PM   #95
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Yeah, Church's is known to dyno high as well, I think he uses a gear correction for torque to negate which gear the pull was made. The numbers just seemed high to me even if I took 15% off.

I got a kick out of it because I was making the same amount of power as Jason up until his cams started doing their thing.

BTW my motor has 100k on the clock so it shows how impressive these engines are even after a long life of use.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:35 PM   #96
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Yeah, Church's is known to dyno high as well, I think he uses a gear correction for torque to negate which gear the pull was made. The numbers just seemed high to me even if I took 15% off.

I got a kick out of it because I was making the same amount of power as Jason up until his cams started doing their thing.

BTW my motor has 100k on the clock so it shows how impressive these engines are even after a long life of use.
I was 132hp on that dyno with a stock motor, just had an ECU on you. My pulls were in 3rd gear.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:38 PM   #97
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Hmm, he showed me a side by side and there was a big boost at 5k or so, and he said it was because of the aftermarket cam.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:42 PM   #98
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Hmm, he showed me a side by side and there was a big boost at 5k or so, and he said it was because of the aftermarket cam.
Not sure what he showed you, but it had to be old if the number was that low. Likely from when we first got the car and had the camcon. And none of the cams have made low end, they all lost tq, they dont start to make power till way up high.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #99
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

No the number was way higher than mine but the curves were really similar up until 5k or so than yours sort of shot up by 15 or so and kept climbing.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:48 PM   #100
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
No the number was way higher than mine but the curves were really similar up until 5k or so than yours sort of shot up by 15 or so and kept climbing.
I misunderstood. Yeah most of the stuff we did to the engine would not help for autocross, we just could not find tq. Maybe your header will change that.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:30 AM   #101
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Well if everything goes according to plan I should have the new header finished and running next week.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #102
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
Quote:
The stock motor doesn't have a flex joint, it uses a ball and socket joint. The reason the joint is located where it is stock is because that's the easiest and cheapest place to put it. There does have to be some flex in the exhaust and ideally it should be as close to the motor as possible but you work with the space you're given.
The exhaust itself is hung which allows some movement there so the only reason you even need flex in the exhaust itself is to reduce the wagging motion of the main pipe and reduce load from the header. If you look at the header there is a support beam the bolts to the block and the header and that's what's carrying most of the fore and aft load from the header which is another reason why the ball and socket is located where it is. I've done some analysis on this I have an idea of where the load is sitting. If the side bracket isn't in place all of the load will sit on the flange and the failure will be located on the flange, if the side bracket is in place the pipes are thick enough to handle most of the load but the secondary flange will still be taking some load under movement but its substantially less with the flex joint in place. So to get some flex I chose a flex joint over a ball and socket because its easier for me to incorporate it the multiple center section exhausts that I have.
the motor mounts in our cars are incredibly soft & these motors go all over the place. a flex joint at the end of a 3-4foot long 'lever' would not be adequate.

to get an idea of how much front scratchers (FWDs) boucne about. go to your local test-n-tune with all the kids beating the fuck out their cars...its quite alarming.

the flex joint NEEDS to be located as close as possible to the motor to reduce the leverage on the rest of the exhaust, period. the further away it is, the less its able to absorb.

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #103
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post
the motor mounts in our cars are incredibly soft & these motors go all over the place. a flex joint at the end of a 3-4foot long 'lever' would not be adequate.

to get an idea of how much front scratchers (FWDs) boucne about. go to your local test-n-tune with all the kids beating the fuck out their cars...its quite alarming.

the flex joint NEEDS to be located as close as possible to the motor to reduce the leverage on the rest of the exhaust, period. the further away it is, the less its able to absorb.
I've measured a touch over 2.5",on the rev limiter, of movement. With that being said it doesn't matter in my case since my roll mount will have been taken care of.

Yep, but you can't package a a flex joint in the location it needs to be in with joints that are a proper diameter.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:56 AM   #104
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post

It took me a while to catch onto what you're getting at, malibu. It's like a lever. The farther away you are from the axis of rotation, the more movement there is. I'd never even considered this as a factor.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:01 AM   #105
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
I can't directly comment since I'm a pretty terrible welder but SS requires a different kind of gas and filler material.

I guess it depends on if you're using a Flux weld material or MIG/TIG welding. If its MIG or TIG you need gas otherwise it'll splatter and sugar really bad plus just weld like crap.

I think this might be helpful (http://www.brazing.com/techguide/pro...stainless.asp)
Thanks for the useful info, namer.
I only have a flux core welder with no gas, so that won't cut it. If I need anything done, I'll just go to the pro welder who does the manifolds.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:20 AM   #106
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Flux core welds look like crap but you should be able to weld SS with it as long as you have the correct filler.

There's also quite a bit more that needs to be considered with header design, just welding longer tubes can actually result in power loss if it calls into a dead range where the reverse shockwave happens too quickly or too slowly. There are other things to consider in regards to load and heat and such but that would quite a bit of time to type out.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #107
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
I've measured a touch over 2.5",on the rev limiter, of movement. With that being said it doesn't matter in my case since my roll mount will have been taken care of.

Yep, but you can't package a a flex joint in the location it needs to be in with joints that are a proper diameter.
I've already got the 2-1 section of my header welded up, and it's mostly made up of a pair of 10" long, 1.75" ID flex pipes. Should allow for tons of flexibility, right where it's needed.
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #108
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

I'm tired of arguing this point. There is lots of math and formulas to determine the best length and diameter for a header. The formula I use specifies something different than what you chose to use. With the dimensions I chose I cannot package a flex pipe on the secondaries and wouldn't do so because laminar flow is substantially worse through a flex pipe than a tube. If you look inside a flex pipe there is a series of baffles which make it behave similar to that of a crush bent tube.