Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-29-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
wiirenet

Drives: Black '09 2dr HB
Send a message via MSN to wiirenet
Tried to replace cigarette lighter fuse, think prongs are stuck inside. Help please?

I searched the forum but it was mostly people asking where the cigarette lighter fuse is.

My GPS & cell stopped charging, so I wanted to check the fuse first. It was really really hard to pull out, and when it came out, the prongs were broken off the fuse. We couldn't get the new one in, and now my radio doesn't work too.

Is there a way to get the prongs out or should I suck it up and go to a shop or dealer? Does anyone know how much this will cost?

And anyone in the Chicago area or suburbs with suggestions on where to go that would be really helpful. I would even pay someone here to check it out. I'm just worried they're going to charge me a lot if its broken and stuck in there.

Thank for any help!!
wiirenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
a pair of a mini-needle-nose pliers should be your best bet. if there's no space for you to insert the nose of such, then you might need to damage a part of the plastic that prevents the pliers from grabbing a hold of it--unless it's still under warranty.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
wiirenet

Thanks for the reply. I got it new in 2009 but I assume there's no warrenty anymore, I didn't buy anything extra. Do you think a shop or dealer will charge me a lot for this? I would rather not damage anything.

My boyfriend was the one doing this and he talked about how there was no room to even grab the fuse and that's why it was so hard to get out. None of the tools we had would fit and work.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
With the Yaris fuse box, the fuses are microfuses, of which the legs do not extend past the body of the fuse. Did the leg actually rip off the side of the fuse?

Old 01-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
wiirenet

They don't extend out? its supposed to look like the pic? We bought a 7.5 fuse and it has two legs sticking out from the bottom. The one we pulled out kind of looks like your picture so it looked to me like it broke. Did we buy the wrong one? The cover said 7.5. Its brown and has the prongs/legs sticking out
Old 01-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiirenet View Post
They don't extend out? its supposed to look like the pic? We bought a 7.5 fuse and it has two legs sticking out from the bottom. The one we pulled out kind of looks like your picture so it looked to me like it broke. Did we buy the wrong one? The cover said 7.5. Its brown and has the prongs/legs sticking out
Yes, you purchased a "minifuse" as opposed to a "microfuse".
Old 01-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
wiirenet

Thank you so much, you've been so helpful! We'll look for the right one now. Do you think it may not be the fuse because this is what happened:
Cigarette lighter stopped charging things
Took out the fuse
Now cigarette lighter and radio don't work.

If the fuse was the issue wouldnt the radio have not worked in the first place?
Old 01-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiirenet View Post
Thank you so much, you've been so helpful! We'll look for the right one now. Do you think it may not be the fuse because this is what happened:
Cigarette lighter stopped charging things
Took out the fuse
Now cigarette lighter and radio don't work.

If the fuse was the issue wouldnt the radio have not worked in the first place?
The 7.5A one that he pulled may have been the ACC fuse, whereas the cigarette lighter is powered off the 15A CIG fuse. The radio is powered off the 7.5A one, and the lighter off the 15A one.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
wiirenet

Ohh I see the issue, I'm looking at the diagram and we must have just not read it correctly since they're next to eachother.

Thank you again so much, hope this is all solved. Just need to find the right fuse now!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:22 PM   #10
wiirenet

Update - EVERYTHING WORKS AND I DID IT MYSELF! I figured out there were spare fuses in the box in the hood (it took me longer to figure out how to open my hood and the fuse box than to replace the fuses ((my manual wasn't helpful, I needed google and youtube))

I put back the 7.5 fuse and checked that my radio worked again. I took out the 15 fuse, which did look burst. Replaced it with a spare from my hood and my cigarette lighter charges again.

CTScott thank you SO much for explaining this easy thing to me and helping me not deal with a shop! I'm super pumped that I did this all on my own and my boyfriend was really surprised haha.

I'm also sending you a private message.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:31 PM   #11
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Congratulations on the DIY repair.
I had a similar issue, and bought some fuses at the auto parts store...
only to find that I had purchased mini-fuses rather than the micro-fuses.
Guess I should have searched the forum for an answer first, but had stopped
on the way home.

Also, thanks for letting us know the outcome. It might help another owner in the future.
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote