Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-04-2016, 03:47 AM   #1
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
thoughts on the tesla 3?

watched the live webcast the other night for the unveiling. i guess lots of people put down a grand sight unseen....it looks pretty cool with that all glass roof and i actually like the center tablet display(i guess that comes from owning yarii and echos). 35k before tax credits(around 7.5k to 10k depending on where you live) makes it more appealing. just wondering if any of the journalists on here got to see one in person or even.....gasp, DRIVE one!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:51 AM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Aside from the missing grille, which makes it look a bit like a boat, I loved it. Wouldn't get into a 35k, minimum, payment when my Yaris is paid off, looking and running great, but I did really like what I saw of the car.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:44 PM   #3
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
It would probably make for a great city car. For people outside the city where recharge stations are rare...maybe not so much.

One of the biggest disadvantage and the issue that would prevent me from getting one, is that mileage is lost whenever it's parked and not plugged-in, because the batteries self-discharge. Conventional vehicles don't suffer from that.
I'm usually gone for 1 or 2 weeks at a time sometimes, and there is no electrical grid to plug the car in while I'm gone. (A recharge station would no doubt be expensive to build there since it's an industrial zone on the outskirts of the city.)
It would be super annoying for me to return from a long trip and find that I don't have enough power to get to a recharge station. In that case I'd have to call a tow-truck?
Sadly that's ultimately why these type of cars are still in a niche market. Ultimately, unless there is a web of recharge stations built globally, (in rural areas and such), and recharge times lowered, this type of vehicle will never be able to fully take off as a replacement for commercial gasoline/diesel vehicles.
I would be better off putting my money in a hybrid.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:43 PM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
You won't be making any 500 mile trips in a day as easily as the Yaris will.

CR is reporting Tesla much worse than average reliability.

Model 3 cost twice as much as a
Yaris.

Model 3 is for suckers!
Old 04-05-2016, 03:41 AM   #5
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Nice looking car. Reliability hasn't been so hot. All that glass is going to get hot in the summer. And people that put that grand down are like Apple sheep. And the screen is going to be made by LG. And having had a LG phone and wash machine, I think their quality sucks. But it's good enough for Tesla.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:48 AM   #6
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKHILLSGUY View Post
blahblahblah... like Apple sheep. yadayadaydad... phone and wash machine, something?!?... for Tesla.
Where can I get one!!!!!
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:50 AM   #7
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
A neighbor had an electric Golf by VW for a while and got rid of it. The 100 plus mile range in summer went to less than 50 in winter...

Old 04-05-2016, 12:18 PM   #8
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
The higher end version is claiming something like 415 miles on a single charge and supposedly the supercharge stations they're installing can charge the batteries up pretty quickly. Like any tech, it's only going to get better. I'm not for total electric, or against, I just like options.

A world where you can take your pick of internal combustion, electric or self driving doesn't sound like a bad world to me.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:35 PM   #9
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I would have purchased a 2015/2016 Yaris Hybrid if it was available in the U.S., like it is in other countries , but full-electric cars just don't interest me at this time.

Last edited by Kalispel; 04-05-2016 at 01:08 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:29 PM   #10
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
The only way full electrics make sense to the majority is if they had a range of at least 500 miles (in the winter too) to be ready for road trips and it has to be around the same price as a comparable ICE car. Not happening any time soon. It could but we need to see new breakthroughs in battery tech and then after that, wait for prices to plummet on that breakthrough tech. This is the only way electrics in a majority sense, become the future. And then if that happens, we need infrastructure to generate far more electricity than is being used today to charge them all. The Dems pushing for electrics are also shutting down coal plants that power them. Going to need many new nuclear plants. Do we want that?
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:48 PM   #11
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
I do know Toyota walked away from Tesla and I do know that a major recall on the RAV4 EV was because of a faulty part that Tesla provided for the Rav4. That's all I need to know.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:57 AM   #12
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
The only way full electrics make sense to the majority is if they had a range of at least 500 miles (in the winter too) to be ready for road trips and it has to be around the same price as a comparable ICE car. Not happening any time soon. It could but we need to see new breakthroughs in battery tech and then after that, wait for prices to plummet on that breakthrough tech. This is the only way electrics in a majority sense, become the future. And then if that happens, we need infrastructure to generate far more electricity than is being used today to charge them all. The Dems pushing for electrics are also shutting down coal plants that power them. Going to need many new nuclear plants. Do we want that?
yeah, if you look at their current map of charging stations they've tried to place them every couple hundred miles or so on the major interstates in this country. still, there's lots of areas where you won't be able to get a charge unless you plan your routes accordingly. also, the charge takes about a half hour which is nice if you have your dog with you and want to spend time stretching your legs, but most people don't have the patience for that type of wait every three hours or so.

i applaud them for what they are trying to do. i agree with needing it closer to 500 miles for road trips, but maybe there's something to be said for slowing things down and enjoying the view while out on the road. they have a home charger set-up for around 3 grand that can hook up to the electrical grid or solar if you prefer(inverter, charging plug, and solar panels extra) so if you just stay near home you can say goodbye to gas stations for good! price is still too rich even after tax rebates for me so i'll just wait a few more years till they become more mainstream(and better range).
toad is offline   Reply With Quote