Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-05-2006, 06:40 PM   #1
jay

Drives: 2006 Yaris LE 5dr AT
Question When to switch to synthetic oil?

Looking ahead, I will be hitting my first oil change in Apr (6 mos will have passed, and I am projected to hit 8000km at that point). Although I understand that conventional oil is adequate - I'd like to do a bit better, and switch over to synthetic sooner than later.

There seems to be a wide range of suggestions as to when it is appropriate to make the switch. I have read that it is advisable to let the engine "break in" before switching (unless you have a high-end car manufactured in such a way where it comes w/synthetic straight from the factory). Then there are stories of ppl switching over at < 4000km.

My question is whether anyone thinks that moving over to synthetic after 6 mos/8000km is optimum or even appropriate. While I have heard of Toyota apparently advising 10000km in other models' manuals, have found no mention of synthetic oil in either the Yaris Owner's Manual or Supplement .

I asked Toyota Canada about this, and they indicated that this question (and any other technical matter) should be taken to the dealer. My dealer has advised 16000km, which seems high to me.

Is a whole winter of cold(er) running & starts (I use the block heater when setting out in the morning, no such luck when leaving work) not enough already to "run in" the engine?

Curious to hear of some other thoughts.
jay is offline   Reply With Quote