Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-23-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Thinking of buying a new Yaris...

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of buying a used Yaris.... I've narrowed down my choices to a Yaris hatchback, Echo Hatchback, Matrix or Pontiac Vibe.

I'm a fan of the 1.8L engine in the Corolla/Vibe/Matrix, but am still looking for better fuel economy. I don't drive very fast and can't think of the last time I've ever put the pedal down on the Corolla. :big grin:

I'm a pretty tame driver, and I often have to park on the street downtown and so I want a small car. I also want a hatchback since I absolutely hate having a trunk I can't fit anything in.

So, I'd definitely want to do the cruise control mod I found on this forum, I can't live without cruise, so thats one question answered. I'm curious how awkward it is to do an oil change myself. I can barely get to the oil filter on my 99 corolla.

Last edited by jayeh; 01-28-2012 at 07:26 PM. Reason: said new, but meant new to me
jayeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
brg88tx

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Auto
go for thre yaris, you'll get about 4 mpg better. and don't worry about speed. alot of people think that because it's only a 1.5L that it's slow. i have taken my 07 auto sedan on road trips and set the cruise on 78 mph for 5 hours straight and it still gets 36-37 mpg at that high speed.
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
jayeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg88tx View Post
go for thre yaris, you'll get about 4 mpg better. and don't worry about speed. alot of people think that because it's only a 1.5L that it's slow. i have taken my 07 auto sedan on road trips and set the cruise on 78 mph for 5 hours straight and it still gets 36-37 mpg at that high speed.
Sounds good. I wish we had speed limits like that up here!
Old 01-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Oil changes could not be easier on the Yaris. The drain bolt is easily accessible from the front as is the oil filter. Get good set of ramps and you'll be good to go.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
jayeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Oil changes could not be easier on the Yaris. The drain bolt is easily accessible from the front as is the oil filter. Get good set of ramps and you'll be good to go.
I noticed that while I was looking at a car on a used lot the other day.

The filter is buried on the corolla. Drives me nuts.

I think I'm going to stock up on some wix filters on my next trip to the states. I can't believe how expensive the toyota filter is when it is so very very common. Its nearly twice the price as the dodge filter.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
chriskizi

Drives: 2012 Yaris 3-Door
Yaris FTW!
chriskizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
if you can grab an echo hatch, I'd take that. It will get you better gas mileage than the Yaris, plus it is rare.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:27 AM   #8
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
why?,

Just curious, do you have an AT or a MT?
If it's a MT, what kind of gas mileage do you get?
Thanks.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
Did not know they made an Echo hatch, never had that down here in the states. They quit selling the Echo here 7 years ago so unless that is different in Canada you'd be getting a way older car. Personally the Yaris is a fantastic little car-oil changes are simple and the filter is right under the front of the car and easily accessable-this was important to me as I do all my own oil changes. Airfilter is easy to check and the spark plugs are easy to get to. So the car is cheaper to maintain and fix even if you have to pay a mechanic. I get in the low 40's with our ethanol blended fuel here in the states, now that is mostly freeway driving, but some light city stop and go.

In 09 at least here in the states cruise control became available on the hatch usually with the power options of door/mirror/windows. I have never had good luck with aftermarket cruise controls, but maybe they've improved them.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
jayeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
if you can grab an echo hatch, I'd take that. It will get you better gas mileage than the Yaris, plus it is rare.
The fuel economy is tempting, but damn they are ugly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVitz View Post
Did not know they made an Echo hatch, never had that down here in the states. They quit selling the Echo here 7 years ago so unless that is different in Canada you'd be getting a way older car. Personally the Yaris is a fantastic little car-oil changes are simple and the filter is right under the front of the car and easily accessable-this was important to me as I do all my own oil changes. Airfilter is easy to check and the spark plugs are easy to get to. So the car is cheaper to maintain and fix even if you have to pay a mechanic. I get in the low 40's with our ethanol blended fuel here in the states, now that is mostly freeway driving, but some light city stop and go.

In 09 at least here in the states cruise control became available on the hatch usually with the power options of door/mirror/windows. I have never had good luck with aftermarket cruise controls, but maybe they've improved them.
The Echo is rare here on dealer lots. Lots of them on the road though. Still, the prices on the used Echo hatch's are slightly crazy. People seem to want $4995 for a 2005 echo hatch, and $4995 for a 2006 Yaris, in the same shape.

I wanted an Echo, but can't find them anywhere. The hatchbacks that are around are always in very weird ridiculously ugly colours. Thats why I upgraded my search to the Yaris.

I still haven't bought anything yet, I might in the fall.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #11
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post
why?,

Just curious, do you have an AT or a MT?
If it's a MT, what kind of gas mileage do you get?
Thanks.
I have an MT and get between 38 & 42 mpg usually. The Echo has a better 5th gear that revs lower at highway speeds and can usually get 45-50 mpg with ease. I think the final drive is different as well. If I ever get enough money I plan on looking into a swap.

But man if they are the same price go for the newer car. That is nuts.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #12
Spidermandud

Drives: Black '08 Yaris Hatch S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeh View Post
I think I'm going to stock up on some wix filters on my next trip to the states. I can't believe how expensive the toyota filter is when it is so very very common. Its nearly twice the price as the dodge filter.

Ya reckon Dodge puts as high a quality into their filters as they do their vehicles? If so then you'd still end up buying 3 dodge filters per 1 toyota I reckon hahaha.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #13
jayeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidermandud View Post
Ya reckon Dodge puts as high a quality into their filters as they do their vehicles? If so then you'd still end up buying 3 dodge filters per 1 toyota I reckon hahaha.
Its still the same filter material for all the oil filters by whatever manufacturer is building the filter. I don't get why a smaller more common filter is more expensive than a larger less common one.

Don't get me started on the air filters!
Old 03-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #14
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
If im not mistaken...echo and yaris shared the same exact gearing...3.72 final drive...boxes got 4.13

Btw i average 44-48mpg when im not trying...low 50s when i pull out my tricks...sedans have better aero

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #15
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i used to have an 04 matrix xrs, traded it for an 07 yaris hatch....also now the owner of an 03 vibe gt which we bought last june

used auto matrix/vibes all have a TON of kms. the 5 speed is kinda crappy in the matrix/vibe and is known to take a dump around 160-180 thousand kilometers...

i doubt you'd want to put premium in an xrs/gt

get a yaris or an echo.

i get 7L/100km with our 5 spd 3 door yaris ALL CITY.....echo i think is a BIT better as its lighter (about 250lbs)

easy to park in the city and cheap to maintain.

in your area you can likely find a ton of echo hatchbacks as theyre very popular in QC
Old 03-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #16
jayeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
i used to have an 04 matrix xrs, traded it for an 07 yaris hatch....also now the owner of an 03 vibe gt which we bought last june

used auto matrix/vibes all have a TON of kms. the 5 speed is kinda crappy in the matrix/vibe and is known to take a dump around 160-180 thousand kilometers...

i doubt you'd want to put premium in an xrs/gt

get a yaris or an echo.

i get 7L/100km with our 5 spd 3 door yaris ALL CITY.....echo i think is a BIT better as its lighter (about 250lbs)

easy to park in the city and cheap to maintain.

in your area you can likely find a ton of echo hatchbacks as theyre very popular in QC
Its literally every second car going over the bridge to hull!!
Old 06-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #17
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeh View Post
I'm curious how awkward it is to do an oil change myself. I can barely get to the oil filter on my 99 corolla.
It's super easy on a Yaris, Jay.
Oil filter hangs down out in the open, and easy to get at.
You can screw together a couple of different length 2x6 boards and make some cheap simple ramps to give you a little more space under the car.

And by the way, I'm putting your '99 Corolla intake manifold on my 2012 Yaris!
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #18
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
A new Yaris is so pricey.I would recommend the Hyundai accent or Honda Fit.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote