Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-28-2009, 06:32 AM   #1
lh59

Drives: 3 dr 1.3 2NZ
Change to high quality filter lead to drastic drop in fuel efficiency

I change my Toyota engine air filter to an after market all steel wire mesh air filter which cost me $120. I notice a drop of more than 10% in the fuel efficiency of my 1.3L Yaris. Is it because the sensor is injecting more fuel as it detect the higher airflow? I thought the engine might give me better fuel efficiency since it can breathe much easier, but that is not the case apparently. I wonder whether the ECU will just take time to recognise the new higher airflow and then the FE will improve again.
Anyone can offer a good suggestion beside switching back to my old filter?
lh59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:19 AM   #2
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
I'd give it a week or so. The ECU may just need time.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
mg_xpower

Drives: na
I bet either the filter has worse airflow compared to the stock filter or your foot got heavier because you like the increased noise. Is the induction path shorter with the new filter ? This could also be a problem because it changes the characteristics of the engine.

Stainess steel "sucks" as filter material ;) It has worse filtering propperties at the same airflow or it has worse airflow at the same filtering properties. Same goes for foam filters. Oiled Cotton is the way to go for daily drivers provided you don't use too much oil.

I'd recommend foam filters for track use, I'd never reccomend stailess steel filters.
mg_xpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
u went with the steel mesh....?? unless that has a high static discharge then it may help dust not to go in otherwise ur sacrificing ur engines health..i believe they use that on track race but engine has to be flushed and oil change right after.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
i put in an AFe intake and it got me about 3mpg within about 1k miles. first tank was lower, second higher by about 2mpg, and third tank was about 3mpg...and it keeps going up...

i'm not really one to 'granny gear it'...goin slow uphills or follow the leader. i get to speed, get there quickly (hardly ever use 4th, striaght from 3 to 5), and then stay there as long as needed or possible. i usually travel around 80mph with the ac on and i'm nettin around 37-38mpg at all times average.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:18 AM   #6
lh59

Here is the link to the stainless steel filter: http://www.hurricane-racing.com/filter-a.htm
Have to admit that I'm a bit heavy on the pedal when I switch over to the new filter . That period is over and I'm reverting to my fuel saving driving style. Hopefully the ECU will recognise my effort and maybe the FE will be better than ever.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #7
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh59 View Post
Here is the link to the stainless steel filter: http://www.hurricane-racing.com/filter-a.htm
Have to admit that I'm a bit heavy on the pedal when I switch over to the new filter . That period is over and I'm reverting to my fuel saving driving style. Hopefully the ECU will recognise my effort and maybe the FE will be better than ever.
Yeah stainless filters are horrible. Just get a k&n and call it a day.
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #8
chand

Drives: blue Yari the Yaris
air

basic

more air is more fuel
the MAF see's more air coming true so the ECU give's more fuel.

s.y.
chand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #9
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Yeah your going to have a spike in the fuel trim till the computer adapts to the new MAF readings. its comparing your old MAF readings to throttle % opening. Now you have a higher MAF reading for the same amount of throttle its going to send in more fuel.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #10
mg_xpower

Drives: na
This is only the case @ full throttle. When cruising you will give it less throttle for the same speed bringing mpg back to normal.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:44 AM   #11
lh59

I've given up hope on the ECU adjusting the fuel flow to the increase air intake. After about 4 weeks of installing the new filter, my fuel consumption is still worse than the one with the original filter.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:49 AM   #12
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Have you tried one last thing.... RE-Seting the ECU?
Old 05-18-2009, 05:19 AM   #13
lh59

Quote:
Originally Posted by rningonfumes View Post
Have you tried one last thing.... RE-Seting the ECU?
I didn't know how to reset the ECU. How does resetting the ECU help btw?
Old 05-18-2009, 05:39 AM   #14
spookz
JDM yO!

Drives: '09 3dr. 5-spd
I believe resetting the ECU just speeds up the learning process.. How many KM's have you done since the changeover? Has it been roughly 1000KMs?

spookz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:24 AM   #15
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Is the air box leaking? Is this an oiled system, If so mits the oil on the MAF wire that got your mileage fUBAR. No ECU relearn is required for in box filter. You get a bigger change with barometric pressure changes and temp changes. The maf bore is the biggest restrictor to air flow in a stock system. I say you got contaminated MAF sensor or improperly sealed airbox
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:21 AM   #16
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

If it's stainless steel mesh and it's not oiled, it's not filtering. I think oil on the MAS is a good suggestion for the cause of the problem. Insulates it and keeps it from responding accurately.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:59 AM   #17
N9QGS

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to N9QGS Send a message via Yahoo to N9QGS
I tried a K&M oiled filter, and after about a month or use was disappointed myself with the lack of MPG I was obtaining, so I switched back to the Toyota Air filter and everything was fine again. Im not sure how much learning or tolerance are in these ECM, but I personally wont try an oiled system again cause I heard that also can fowl other things down the road, don't know if myth or not. I wish you luck with your decision and outcome.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:31 PM   #18
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by N9QGS View Post
I tried a K&M oiled filter, and after about a month or use was disappointed myself with the lack of MPG I was obtaining, so I switched back to the Toyota Air filter and everything was fine again. Im not sure how much learning or tolerance are in these ECM, but I personally wont try an oiled system again cause I heard that also can fowl other things down the road, don't know if myth or not. I wish you luck with your decision and outcome.
They say it's a myth, but logic says different...with a little over-oiling the oil has to go somewhere, MAF meter (yes, w/ heated wires ) is downstream within just a few inches from the filter.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote