Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-31-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
pgeddes

Drives: Yaris
Towing a Yaris

I just bought a new Yaris and wonder if I have to disconnect the battery so the odometer won't register mileage while being towed.

Thanks, Pat G
pgeddes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:32 PM   #2
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgeddes View Post
I just bought a new Yaris and wonder if I have to disconnect the battery so the odometer won't register mileage while being towed.

Thanks, Pat G
Not an issue, since proper towing will have the front wheels off the ground and not turning.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
^ That or many companies are starting to use flatbed methods.

I have seen where the car had been towed from the back up, rare though...like 1 out of every 250 tow trucks I see out there, so not to worry.
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:17 AM   #4
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
I just realized that a MT could be towed with the front wheels down. But that would be reverse.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:42 AM   #5
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
If I ever have a car that needs a tow, I have had a flatbed. Anyone ever have a problem pulling a Yaris up on a flatbed?
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:54 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgeddes View Post

Thanks, Pat G
The odo is electronic and won't increment unless the ignition is on.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
mryaris

Drives: 2010 Carmine Red hatchback
Double post!
Old 11-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #8
mryaris

Drives: 2010 Carmine Red hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
If I ever have a car that needs a tow, I have had a flatbed. Anyone ever have a problem pulling a Yaris up on a flatbed?
I prefer using a flatbed on any car that I need towed.....just less to go wrong. That said, I had no problems getting my Yaris up on a flatbed, and it has a few more "issues" than most peoples cars.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #9
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
food for thought for the worried:

KBB 07 standard auto yaris with 75000 miles: $8410
KBB 07 standard auto yaris with 78000 miles: $8410
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:06 PM   #10
2+2

Drives: 09 3Dr Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by mryaris View Post
I prefer using a flatbed on any car that I need towed.....just less to go wrong. That said, I had no problems getting my Yaris up on a flatbed, and it has a few more "issues" than most peoples cars.

Saweet!
Old 11-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #11
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:

I remember you posting about this accident but I hadn't seen the pics!
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:34 PM   #12
2009Toyotoad

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
We tow our 09' 3Dr MT behind the moterhome. However, because the aux braking system needed 12volt power we leave the battery connected. I was going to pick up a haedware store key to determine if the engine imobilzer effects the battery too, but haven't had the time yet. because It really light weight it tows well.

At 2,200 lbs state regs required the AUX braking system in California. Some folks with Diesel motorhomes run the Aux brakes off the diesel's compressor. No idea how that works in a break away situation.

Truthfully, don't want to find out how our system performs in break away either. but because its all "onboard" the car, I don't worry that a high pressure hose will break away before the break away ping get pulled. Setup for this kind of stuff is pricey, $5K. But I noticed the front mounting plate for the tow bar hook ups really stiffens up the front end under non towing cornering turning situations. Nice handling minimal fender flex.
2009Toyotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #13
brandypup

Drives: 09 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009Toyotoad View Post
We tow our 09' 3Dr MT behind the moterhome. However, because the aux braking system needed 12volt power we leave the battery connected. I was going to pick up a haedware store key to determine if the engine imobilzer effects the battery too, but haven't had the time yet. because It really light weight it tows well.

At 2,200 lbs state regs required the AUX braking system in California. Some folks with Diesel motorhomes run the Aux brakes off the diesel's compressor. No idea how that works in a break away situation.

Truthfully, don't want to find out how our system performs in break away either. but because its all "onboard" the car, I don't worry that a high pressure hose will break away before the break away ping get pulled. Setup for this kind of stuff is pricey, $5K. But I noticed the front mounting plate for the tow bar hook ups really stiffens up the front end under non towing cornering turning situations. Nice handling minimal fender flex.
This is of intrest to me as I will be towing my 2009 Yaris HB behind a 30ft MH rental. (approved). Can you give me any information as to what I am looking at. This is from the rental company "The motorhomes are only equipped with a receiver hitch, so you would need to provide your own tow bar." There is a 2500lb weight limit and it appears I am under that with the yaris and tow bar weight combined.
Thx
brandypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:21 PM   #14
Chuck G

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:

Looks like they may have damaged it pulling it on to the flatbed
Chuck G is offline   Reply With Quote