Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-22-2010, 12:42 PM   #19
DaveG

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
I check my oil level after the car has sat OVERNIGHT.
Works like a charm.....
Thank you!! This works great. Finally somebody doesn't think I'm crazy. Letting the car sit for hours on a level surface (if you can find one) seems like a bit inconvenient, but whatever works...
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:58 AM   #20
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
Perhaps it's one of those unexplained mysteries like the Bermuda triangle.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:26 PM   #21
2007yariz

Drives: Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I promise the engine was off, but checking after the car sits seems to work much better. It reads full on one side, and a half inch past full on the other side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
yea that makes no sense. Pull the dipstick out, wipe it clean, and then reinsert it to check it. If the oil level is not the same on both sides, um, well i think you somehow entered an alternate universe.
I think the OP and I are on the same track. Everytime i check my oil level, one side of my sipstick reads clean(so i only look at this side) and the other side is all messy. My dipstick is a yellow plastic one with tiny lines between F and L of course, you guys have the metal one or we have the same dipstick??????
2007yariz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #22
DANIELTNIEVES

Drives: 2010 yaris 3dr manual
I also have 2010 LB, 1st oil chg was complicated. The 3.9 qts listed in car manual was to fill a brand new engine that never had oil in it. Glad I decided to creep up on it starting at 3.5 qts. I found 3 qt and 20 oz just right, but also found new oil impossible to read on shiny metal of dipstick. After car sat overnight finally figured out to cut a tiny strip of brown paper bag and quickly pull the stick out and lay it horizontally on a table and lay the paper strip ontop of the stick where the 2 dots are. It gets dark from the oil, then carefully lift it off the stick not moving it up or down the stick, and see where the dark wet spot ends and see the corresponding place on the dipstick to get the measurement. After a few weeks the oil gets brown enough to just read the stick.
DANIELTNIEVES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #23
Mike32539
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris Automatic
07 Yaris Oil too high on Dipstick

Dave G.,
Had the same problem on my son's 2007. Dealers were clueless. We put in 3 quarts, ran it a few seconds to fill the filter and checked it. Oil level was 3" high to my amazement. I let it sit overnight but it still read high. I tried inserting and removing the dipstick very slowly but achieved mixed results. It was sometimes completely covered and others it read to low. I'll bet there are others out there with this same issue but are getting the run around by the dealerships. Car is running fine but there is NO WAY to verify the amount of oil by the dipstick.
Mike32539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #24
2007yariz

Drives: Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike32539 View Post
Dave G.,
Had the same problem on my son's 2007. Dealers were clueless. We put in 3 quarts, ran it a few seconds to fill the filter and checked it. Oil level was 3" high to my amazement. I let it sit overnight but it still read high. I tried inserting and removing the dipstick very slowly but achieved mixed results. It was sometimes completely covered and others it read to low. I'll bet there are others out there with this same issue but are getting the run around by the dealerships. Car is running fine but there is NO WAY to verify the amount of oil by the dipstick.
Hi Mike, i drive a 07 too. I do oil changes myself though. I just fill the baby up with 3.9 quarts of oil. The dipstick always show full! Like i said one said is not very clear, but the other side is.
2007yariz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:22 PM   #25
HerYarisNotMine

Drives: '07 Yaris Hatchback
Hey guys, stumbled on this thread while searching for a solution to the same problem with my wife's 07 HB. I guess no one has an answer? I always get a full reading on her dipstick, but when I drained the oil last time only a little more than three quarts came out, so the dipstick is obviously not reading correctly. One quart low for a full OCI isn't bad, but I would still like to monitor it myself.

I will let it sit overnight and recheck, but you are supposed to check oil levels with the oil hot, not cold.
HerYarisNotMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:25 PM   #26
OTA'sTOY
DAT'S RIGHT I GOTz 2

Drives: '10 5dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerYarisNotMine View Post
I will let it sit overnight and recheck, but you are supposed to check oil levels with the oil hot, not cold.

really! care to explain the difference?
OTA'sTOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:40 PM   #27
Tom48

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch Back
Surely, you understand what happens to a fluid when its temperature rises. It expands. Would take up more space in the oil pan, hence the oil on the stick would read higher up the stick.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:33 AM   #28
HerYarisNotMine

Drives: '07 Yaris Hatchback
Checked it this morning and it appears that there is no difference between cold and hot readings...a pity, because I know something is up here...I personally think that the dipstick tube is too narrow and allows for oil to rub against the dipstick and confuse the reading.

P.S. I thought it was common knowledge that oil ought to be checked when the engine is hot. Tires when cold, oil when hot...
HerYarisNotMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:57 AM   #29
sex

Drives: 09 5DR
Transmission oil is to be checked both cold and hot.

Engine oil is usually checked cool/cold since you want it to settle down into the pan.

How about running a pipe cleaner down the tube?
sex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:30 PM   #30
OTA'sTOY
DAT'S RIGHT I GOTz 2

Drives: '10 5dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Surely, you understand what happens to a fluid when its temperature rises. It expands. Would take up more space in the oil pan, hence the oil on the stick would read higher up the stick.
um yeah ok
sure
but for it to expand to where the OP says it does
halfway up the dipstick?
highy unlikely that it would expand an extra 1/2qt @ least
OTA'sTOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:12 AM   #31
armandjones

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
So, I just did my 10000 mile oil change on my 2010 liftback. Its the first oil change for this car I've done, since the dealer gave me 1 free oil change for 5000 miles. I've changed oil before. I looked up in the owner's manual that the Yaris uses 3.9 quarts of oil, so I put in 3.5, thinking that I'd see it on the oil dipstick, and then put in just a little more. Well, when I pulled out the dipstick, it was covered in oil about halfway up. Not the oil level part with the two dots, but halfway up the entire dipstick!
So, is there something I'm doing wrong, or did I put way too much oil in the car? It looked like this after running the engine for 1 minute, and also after running for 5 minutes and cooling for 5 minutes. Is the car safe to drive for a while? And, if I put too much oil in, how do I get it out???
Thanks in advance for the help!
Dave
Seems like I'm on the same page.. I checked the oil, found that there is oil about half way up the dip stick! Most of my cars were Japanese cars and I have never seen anything like this..Is this really normal? Could there be something wrong?

Last edited by armandjones; 05-08-2011 at 08:33 AM.
armandjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #32
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
If I'm not mistaken the oil change calls for 3.9 qts with filter. When I change mine I let it drain overnite with filter removed on a level surface. Next day button up the pan and prime a new filter before and then button that up. Add the remainder of the qt. used to prime the filter plus 2 1/2 more. That puts 3 1/2 in the car. Start and ck for leaks. Let run a few and shut down. Clean up after then ck dipstick. Add what I need to bring it to the full mark on the stick which usually leaves me a little left in the 4th qt. Checking the stick can be tricky.

Oil check...well I've read hot and cold. My thoughts and what I do. If I run the car to a point where it gets hot, stop and check oil, I know that there is oil still up in the engine which hasn't had time to return to the pan where the ck occurs leaving me with a "need oil" reading. Therefore when I'm done running the car, it's parked and the next time I'm ready, before I start the car I'll ck it and do what needs to be done before starting. Logic says the oil has had the chance to get back down in the pan say after an overnight sit vs a fill up with gas and oh ck. the oil while I'm at it type situation.

Do a search here for "oil change" and find the DIY. Read comments in regards to heat and how it affects level. If you stick with what the manual calls for in this case 3.9 with filter and you put that in then the only issue you have appears to be not being able to read the dipstick unless of course you have other issues and you are getting a water leak into your oil system.

Works for me and offered as suggestion not argument.

Last edited by Klink10; 05-05-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #33
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Sorry, haven't read the whole thread, but for anyone wanting to ditch the POS plastic dip stick for a metal one, I got one from a '95 Corolla. It's the exact same length, but the full level is a little less. I just used a file to score a new full mark in it and it works SOOO much better for reading.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:48 AM   #34
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Has anyone seen the plastic one break?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:42 PM   #35
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
No....and think of the weight savings....lol.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote